Usefulness of the hammer?

Catt

So it seems the hammer was nerfed to both repair less and upgrade slower than the wrench in a17.

I don't know what the point to the hammer is now. The only time I'd use it is if I happened to find one in a car or crate or whatever before a wrench, or to make a workbench, but it seems wrenches are a dime a dozen. I guess hammer may have some melee usefulness to it? But it won't compare to standard melee weapons.

In almost all play throughs, I only find a hammer through making it with a forge, long before I see them drop in pois etc. And with that being locked behind level 20 now (I think?) Seems like id never need one other than for wb.

It'd be cool if they had distinct differences, like the hammer fixed things faster but the wrench upgraded faster.

Fill me in if I'm missing something please, in all honesty I haven't played stable version yet.

The only real use it has is as a crafting material for making workbenches. The best use I found for it pre A17 was for collecting sand/snow since it had a fast swing and could destroy the blocks in 1 hit. This function is gone now for the majority of the game because base block damage for everything was nerfed to compensate for perks/mods.

-No specialized block damage makes it inferior to specialized tools like a Fireaxe or a Pickaxe against any surface except sand/dirt/snow, which is where the shovel comes in. It doesn't do enough general damage to have a niche of being able to save inventory space by using a single tool instead of 2-3.

-Weak entity damage, and poor range once again makes it inferior to Fireaxe and Pickaxe as combat weapons. Also, being a repair tool means you can't power attack.

-No specialized harvesting like Wrench or Knives.

-Wrench is just as good at repairs and upgrades while be much more common and is inferior to the Nailgun.

I like to just re-do the entire tools to make them all more useful and more fun for me personally to build with

Hammer\Nailgun - Repair\Upgrade Wood Only

Wrench - Repair\Upgrade Steel & Iron Only

Bucket - Repair\Upgrade Stone & Concrete Only

Hammer remains useful until you find a Nailgun.

Since they implemented that horrible insta-upgrade system a few alphas ago - the nailgun became just too silly for me. I can't bring myself to upgrade concrete with a nailgun. Just can't do it.. plus all the accidental upgrades you do when making base repairs..just meh..forget it. I'd rather have specific tools for specific materials and make them all more useful for longer.

I like to just re-do the entire tools to make them all more useful and more fun for me personally to build with

Hammer\Nailgun - Repair\Upgrade Wood Only

Wrench - Repair\Upgrade Steel & Iron Only

Bucket - Repair\Upgrade Stone & Concrete Only

Hammer remains useful until you find a Nailgun.

Since they implemented that horrible insta-upgrade system a few alphas ago - the nailgun became just too silly for me. I can't bring myself to upgrade concrete with a nailgun. Just can't do it.. plus all the accidental upgrades you do when making base repairs..just meh..forget it. I'd rather have specific tools for specific materials and make them all more useful for longer.

I would keep the Nailgun as universal tool, my backpackis full enough without needing so many different tools.

But hammer wrench and bucket could be faster, as a balance

The hammer requires forged iron to repair

The wrench requires forged steel

The Nailgun requires repair kits.

The hammer is the easiest to repair so its not going to be better than either of the other two.

That's interesting, however, there are other factors.

- Hammer Repairs

- Wrench Repairs and Harvests

- Nailgun Repairs [this part is supposed to say quickly but TFP f***ed up and nerfed it.]

I think repair costs/materials are mostly irrelevant, due to the fact that repairing and upgrading blocks costs almost no (I think literally zero) durability on tools. Sure, you use up your wrench pretty quick if using it to scrap things, but again they seem a dime a dozen and by the time you have heavy usage of that feature on the wrench you probably are capable of making steel to repair it anyways.

Thanks for the replies, wasn't sure if I was missing something major.

So it seems the hammer was nerfed to both repair less and upgrade slower than the wrench in a17.

I don't know what the point to the hammer is now. The only time I'd use it is if I happened to find one in a car or crate or whatever before a wrench, or to make a workbench, but it seems wrenches are a dime a dozen. I guess hammer may have some melee usefulness to it? But it won't compare to standard melee weapons.

In almost all play throughs, I only find a hammer through making it with a forge, long before I see them drop in pois etc. And with that being locked behind level 20 now (I think?) Seems like id never need one other than for wb.

It'd be cool if they had distinct differences, like the hammer fixed things faster but the wrench upgraded faster.

Fill me in if I'm missing something please, in all honesty I haven't played stable version yet.

The point of the hammer is to use to make the workbench!

You're welcome! =)

- - - Updated - - -

That's interesting but it ignored all the factors.

- Hammer Repairs

- Wrench Repairs and Harvests

- Nailgun Repairs [this part is supposed to say quickly but TFP f***ed up and nerfed it.]

You forgot nailgun is used to shoot chickens! Shame shame.

I would use the hammer if it would be better than the stone-axe, but it isn't.

That makes no sense in game progression if a metal tool is worse than a stone tool.

Usually I use the fireaxe when clearing houses but up and then I need a tool to fix loot containers or upgrade things.

The hammer can do both but it's block damage is so small. The stone-axe damage is ok but I have to carry always some stones with me for repair ... another wasted inventory slot.

Hammer should be better than stone-axe.

I think it comes down to a stone axe being too powerful, imo.

Give us a starting hatchet, that does crap against rocks, and is only useful for wood, and force us to only pick up small rocks until that magical moment when we get a pickaxe.

Hammers should be able to pull nails from wood and build things.

Remove the stone axe entirely.

Let specialized tools be specialized. The whole problem is that the stone axe is a one tool fits all, and negates the need for any other tool except the shovel, and in a pinch, it can even dig. It needs to go.

I think it comes down to a stone axe being too powerful, imo.

Give us a starting hatchet, that does crap against rocks, and is only useful for wood, and force us to only pick up small rocks until that magical moment when we get a pickaxe.

Hammers should be able to pull nails from wood and build things.

Remove the stone axe entirely.

Let specialized tools be specialized. The whole problem is that the stone axe is a one tool fits all, and negates the need for any other tool except the shovel, and in a pinch, it can even dig. It needs to go.

TFP just need to add an Allowed_repair_items to go along with the Allowed_upgrade_items so the stone axe can be properly limited to only basic items. It has been asked for before.

Archived