Why you broke your game

bloom_meister

Many newer players will like it (I think mainly because they didnt know the old game) some old players might actually like the change, but in general it's too bad for many old players.

You will basically love A17 if you dislike exploring and looting, and instead prefer being handed every single item in the game just by hitting a certain level, and not actually working for it (other than killing enemies). And also reaching the stage of having everything around level 100 to 110 (day 30 for me). So if you like a shorter game...

Players who enjoy the main aspect of survival games....making do with whatever you find as best you can, then going out exploring for what you don't have, to improve your situation....forget it, this ain't that game any more.

And finally players who seek replayability and every play through being varied and different precisely because the initial things you find will be different each run....sorry, same items at same point every single time.

And I would describe players who like all these things as "casual". Not derogatory, just a playstyle very different from mine, and I feel, from that of most of the long-term players of the game.

I am playing on with A17 because it contains a lot I like, but at level 110, day 34, there is zero need for me to leave the base now except to stock up on glue and gunpowder. I find that sad.

I am playing on with A17 because it contains a lot I like, but at level 110, day 34, there is zero need for me to leave the base now except to stock up on glue and gunpowder. I find that sad.

And you did what in A16 at the same level?

Not sure about you but in A16 I normally had a forge by day 3, making steel by the middle of the second week and by the 3 horde I'll have a fairly impenetrable base with traps and electricity - made ultimately more impenetrable due to the very poor zombie AI. The only uncertainty was the minibike as it was purely dependent on a schematic, and once you get the minibike then there was absolutely no restrictions to your exploration. You could theoretically get the schematic the very first day, accelerating your progress exponentially.

People are totally entitled to say the progress through the different milestones needs tweaking, and I share people's concern regarding the way weapon levels work and how they are tied into quality, but for people to come in and say that A16 was somehow a completely different game when in mid to late stage is just not reflective of what I am experiencing.

The grass is definitely not greener on the other side and I'd suggest that it doesn't matter whether it's A16 or A17, but the mid to late game stages are equally easy once tooled up.

This whole claim that "you've broke the game" is hyperbole bourne from arrogance, and is no little insulting for that matter.

And you did what in A16 at the same level?.

I was nowhere near maxed out in guns, armour and BPs on day 30, so I'd go out exploring for gun parts etc. In A16 I was never maxed out till day 100 (level 600 of every item), if ever.

Here I am maxed out day 30 and I have hardly explored the map at all.

The only uncertainty was the minibike as it was purely dependent on a schematic, and once you get the minibike then there was absolutely no restrictions to your explorationr.

I've had a least 2 playthroughs in earlier alphas where I never found the Shotgun schematic. Made for a very different experience.

I was nowhere near maxed out in guns, armour and BPs so I'd go out exploring for gun parts etc. In A16 I was never maxed out till day 100 (level 600 of every item), if ever.

That didn't answer the question, I asked you what you did. If you are arguing you "git gud" too soon then that's a matter of balancing rather than a fault with the game itself.

If things like NPC and storyline gets rolled into A17 before it's shifted onto stable, which should extend the gameplay beyond just gaining stuff, then I would argue A17 would have a longevity that is greater than A16.

My point here is that a lot of people are saying the game is irretrievably "broken" when (imo) all it really needs is some balancing and a few tweaks and additions along the way.

I've had a least 2 playthroughs in earlier alphas where I never found the Shotgun schematic. Made for a very different experience.

Sure, and I can understand how that RNG can benefit a specific playthrough. It can also have the opposite effect, such is the nature of RNG, and make it considerably easier. I have picked up a chainsaw in A16 within the first two or three loots. And we both know that a chainsaw is really OP for the very early stages.

One A17 Game

Level 5 Auger on day ... i mean it was 5

Other A17 Game

200 trader visits (after restock) and

1 level one auger (to expensive to use, i have no trillion repair kits)

1 level 2 Auger (still expwensive)

and one lvl 5 auger, when i was lvl 95 an so short before i could build a lvl 6 auger

RNG is still A-hole !

And then try to play on lower loot

I was nowhere near maxed out in guns, armour and BPs on day 30, so I'd go out exploring for gun parts etc. In A16 I was never maxed out till day 100 (level 600 of every item), if ever.

Here I am maxed out day 30 and I have hardly explored the map at all.

The only reason to explore was to fuss about with gun parts that slightly increased the quality level of your weapon, which hardly did anything for its effectiveness most of the time. A green sniper rifle was about as useful as a purple one, and to me the game was "done" by day 30 in A16 as well, except I didn't even have mods or perks to toy around with.

I get that some people enjoy the meta game of maxing out the quality of weapons/tools, but that's absolutely boring and pointless to me, and judging from the generally positive reactions to A17 (save from a very vocal minority), I'm far from alone in that.

If TFP add more variety and tiers to the mod system, tweak the drop rates on guns and ammo, and add other late game content as planned, the average 7DtD playthrough will be entertaining for literally dozens of hours. Which is pretty good for an indie game that runs you about the cost of two movie tickets.

That didn't answer the question, I asked you what you did. If you are arguing you "git gud" too soon then that's a matter of balancing rather than a fault with the game itself..

That's half the answer. In addition I am maxed out with no effort beyond hitting a certain level. That's the main problem. I told you what I did at the same day in A16, I went out hunting for the many things I needed in order to become maxed out. It takes a heck of a lot of exploration and looting to max out in A16, whereas in A17 it takes nothing beyond killing enough zombies to get to a specific level. The fact you don't need to max out is irrelevant as it was true in all alphas.

And it's not only that in A17 you 'get gud' too soon (which is definitely true) but you also 'get gud':

a) With no effort beyond killing zombies.

b) At the same point, guaranteed, every play though.

The only reason to explore was to fuss about with gun parts that slightly increased the quality level of your weapon, which hardly did anything for its effectiveness most of the time. A green sniper rifle was about as useful as a purple one.

Not true on high difficulties.

I always played on survivalist (or whatever the 2nd highest difficulty was), and there was a point at which you'd one shot everything as long as you hit the head, and although it might not have been at "green", it was way before maxing out quality or skills. The game just wasn't challenging enough to warrant developing weapons, tools or skills beyond a certain point, in my opinion at least. Maybe the highest difficulty reached this point a little later, but I never played it since I disliked the bullet sponge nature of the enemies in the early game.

In any case, the shift to mods and perks feels better to me, even if there's still a lot of balancing to do to make it rewarding in the long run.

I always played on survivalist (or whatever the 2nd highest difficulty was), and there was a point at which you'd one shot everything as long as you hit the head, and although it might not have been at "green", it was way before maxing out quality or skills. The game just wasn't challenging enough to warrant developing weapons, tools or skills beyond a certain point.

You played on easy and there was no need to max out. Hmmmm. It never occurred to you to increase the difficulty, even on each new play-through? I ended up always playing A16 on max difficulty, and green weapons would absolutely not cut it.

The point being that where you used to hit green weapons in A16, you will instead have everything top tier and modded out at that same point in A17.

One A17 Game

Level 5 Auger on day ... i mean it was 5

Other A17 Game

200 trader visits (after restock) and

1 level one auger (to expensive to use, i have no trillion repair kits)

1 level 2 Auger (still expwensive)

and one lvl 5 auger, when i was lvl 95 an so short before i could build a lvl 6 auger

RNG is still A-hole !

And then try to play on lower loot

Every A17 game and every A16 game and Every A15 game. never used the auger..................always did huge mining/digging projects...... I never thought it was worth the cost/heat and IRL noise to bother with that................thing..... Frankly other than in dirt it's not even that much faster either once you get some mining skill going.

(...) Frankly other than in dirt it's not even that much faster either once you get some mining skill going.

Speaking A15 and 16: Top tier auger always was faster than any top tier pickaxe+skills. Measurably. Tested and proven to bits. The bigger the digging project was, the more worth it was the fuel and noise for the sake of getting it done fast. Not sure about that in A17 yet, waiting for all mods, base tools and resource availability's final balance.

One thing the A17 auger has over its predecessors is that it doesn't have that annoying kickback forcing your mouse hand into a downward cramping motion anymore. Other than that it seems inferior so far, sadly.

What difficulty setting?

Warrior? One step above Nomad, or default. Sorry, idk why I can't recall difficulty names lol. Day 58 my gamestage was in the high-200's. And to those saying they turned the game into tower defense and dont like it, well, it's in the game description on the store...

Speaking A15 and 16: Top tier auger always was faster than any top tier pickaxe+skills. Measurably. Tested and proven to bits. The bigger the digging project was, the more worth it was the fuel and noise for the sake of getting it done fast. Not sure about that in A17 yet, waiting for all mods, base tools and resource availability's final balance.

One thing the A17 auger has over its predecessors is that it doesn't have that annoying kickback forcing your mouse hand into a downward cramping motion anymore. Other than that it seems inferior so far, sadly.

Yes I know it was faster, didn't say it wasn't. What I said was it wasn't MUCH faster. Not enough to be worth the drawbacks IMO. Trust me I know, I built this with a pickaxe. :)

Yes I know it was faster, didn't say it wasn't. What I said was it wasn't MUCH faster. Not enough to be worth the drawbacks IMO. Trust me I know, I built this with a pickaxe. :)

Hehe and I would rather gouge my eyes out before carving something like that out with a pickaxe. To each their own... where it's still possible that is.

You know, I noticed the auger provides more resources per node than a steel pick in 17. Not much, but enough to be worth it since gas is relativly easy to mass up.

Sounds good, though I care more about speed and found that for the most part the speed made up for the lower resource yield per hit before A17.

I haven't gotten around to desert mining yet - Is oil shale still abundant and close to bedrock?

Sounds good, though I care more about speed and found that for the most part the speed made up for the lower resource yield per hit before A17.

I haven't gotten around to desert mining yet - Is oil shale still abundant and close to bedrock?

Yeah, it's faster and you get more. And yes and no lol. I found shale rather quickly going down a random path in the deset (and I found some diamonds!), but I found lead deposits were all littering about. Once I hit some, though, it took about a good 15 mins to mass up 1k shale. However, it was a bit of a pain in the ass because digging in the desert is a delicate process, kept dropping a ton of sand from the top. But I never took damage, so all's good. After that 1k I used 95% of it to make oil and just got on my hog and got gas from gas barrels I found lol.

Yeah, it's faster and you get more. And yes and no lol. I found shale rather quickly going down a random path in the deset (and I found some diamonds!), but I found lead deposits were all littering about. Once I hit some, though, it took about a good 15 mins to mass up 1k shale. However, it was a bit of a pain in the ass because digging in the desert is a delicate process, kept dropping a ton of sand from the top. But I never took damage, so all's good. After that 1k I used 95% of it to make oil and just got on my hog and got gas from gas barrels I found lol.

Thx for the info.

Archived