[A17] Why does all ore have the same texture now?

Buggi

What was the purpose? Texture lazyness? Every ore looks like Coal used to look. So now you have no way of hunting for what you want.

I wasn't really sure if that was what I was seeing while I was starting to set up me and my friend's mine. I haven't gotten really far on the mine, but I haven't really found a decent ore patch yet.

You know, now that you point it out, I thought I was simply blind. You're right. Ore has the same texture and I can't tell the difference between Iron ore, lead, or shale.

With the tons of new textures and this awesome new lighting system, I honestly don't understand why the instant ore identification was removed, if it was even intended. I ran around over 2 days in game dismissing all of the surface-breaking veins because they weren't the copper-tone I was specifically looking for. Who knows how many of what I'd seen were indeed iron. I don't know about anyone else, but if I need iron (and I'd already gutted the patches of nearby wasteland) I don't want to waste time running up to each and every boulder/vein and hitting it to try to determine what it is. Top a hill and if there's no iron veins at surface level, move on. I seem to have really bad luck finding anything beneath the surface either. Lots of sand and small stone that would yield one raw iron but no decent vein.

Mining in the desert is a hell of a lot easier, since you can do it quickly with a shovel. Just keep going 'till you hit something, really. It's a good idea, since that's where you're going to get shale for oil for molotovs. Iron is just a handy byproduct, but i've found lead as well.

Mining in the desert is a hell of a lot easier, since you can do it quickly with a shovel. Just keep going 'till you hit something, really. It's a good idea, since that's where you're going to get shale for oil for molotovs. Iron is just a handy byproduct, but i've found lead as well.

have you found any nitrate veins? I'm curious because of how desperately I always needed it on a16 but that may be because I needed it for fertilizer too, not sure how necessary it is now

Sounds interesting.

How do you get enough stone to run your forges though?

I find in A17 I'm short on stone all the time now.

Definitely won't be making cement as easily as we did in A16.

I'd put the original textures back in but TFP commented out the lines that reference them so I don't have any idea if they are even in the game or not.

You could try commenting them back in from a snippet of A16 code.

If you get an NRE you know the textures are gone.

I'm hoping they are still there.

I wonder if I could just add any texture to them.

Make Iron Blue just for fun.

I'd put the original textures back in but TFP commented out the lines that reference them so I don't have any idea if they are even in the game or not.

The original textures (A16) are still in the bundle that is already loaded into the game.

They are however no longer in the uv xml.

IDs 569 and 570 are now stone, which is also id 1.

You may be able to get iron and lead back, but there is no room for another.

The only hurdle is that UABE cant save the blocks bundle, so you have no way of editing the txt file.

The original textures (A16) are still in the bundle that is already loaded into the game.

They are however no longer in the uv xml.

IDs 569 and 570 are now stone, which is also id 1.

You may be able to get iron and lead back, but there is no room for another.

The only hurdle is that UABE cant save the blocks bundle, so you have no way of editing the txt file.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

yvjJEiy.gif

Why did they change it anyway?

Performance?

Make room for something else?

imho only Nitrate and Coal matters. You get enough Iron elsewhere.

Things happen I hope you guys do not sweat it. A17 is a great survival game now. No more run and gun, no more mindless looting. Now you have to think and work for things. Likely that is why there are so many complaining, many gamers do not want to earn things because world is showing them earning something is not needed you can just want and you shall get.

I hope you Pimps remember those that are loving your game are not on the forums. We are all busy playing and enjoying the game. Relearning the whole thing and it is great!!! Please do not nerf the game anymore than you have!!! Alternately to please all skill levels nerf the first 2 difficulty (Guessing that is not how it is) and allow those that play on 4-5 to have the hardcore fun. Running my server on 4 finding Zs not too hard now that I have gotten to level 70. Game is very playable if the effort is put forth.

As for the textures again things happen and no big deal. Your team always does quality work A17 runs really well for an Experiemental branch version.

I don't think this was intentional.

Iron ore is just a little hard to see without much light I guess. Maybe the potassium one too. These're the two I've found in my play through for now. It's not that bad and it doesn't really have bad textures, but maybe the lighting which I'm sure you're working hard on to fix is the problem if not a tiny part of it.

Iron ore looks like stone but it's a little shiny so not too hard to see it. The lead is probably the same. Haven't found coal yet. Potassium is like stone and sand mixed but I found it in sand mostly. Maybe the stone is blending well with the ores' textures. This is my opinion. Goodbye. Hope this helps, though I didn't add much to the topic.

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

yvjJEiy.gif

Why did they change it anyway?

Performance?

Make room for something else?

I think unity needs to fix their ♥♥♥♥ so there isin't such a crappy texture limit. Its a engine problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats good to hear, hopefully someone reports it in the bug report thread, I also wonder why I was seeing coal everywhere. I hope the night vision goggles get fixed back to how they looked in b197, as they been useless in b199 and still in b208. For now to offset the fact NVG are garbage, I set the light value on the mining helm from 0.7 to 0.001 so zombies don't notice I am using the light on it. Then again even when nvg is fixed I may still leave this, as I lose the +2 to a stat or loot bonus for the nvg. OH I know! Why not add in copies of the night vision goggles, that have the effects of the other eye wear? like one thats +2 int +10% xp gain, another nvg thats +50 loot bonus 10% faster crafting etc, make them really expensive on trader, or very rare to find.

Thank God. I was worried this was a "Well, this is certainly *one* way around the multiple-adjacent texture bug" fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Iron ore is just a little hard to see without much light I guess. Maybe the potassium one too. These're the two I've found in my play through for now. It's not that bad and it doesn't really have bad textures, but maybe the lighting which I'm sure you're working hard on to fix is the problem if not a tiny part of it.

Iron ore looks like stone but it's a little shiny so not too hard to see it. The lead is probably the same. Haven't found coal yet. Potassium is like stone and sand mixed but I found it in sand mostly. Maybe the stone is blending well with the ores' textures. This is my opinion. Goodbye. Hope this helps, though I didn't add much to the topic.

Eh, they all use the old coal texture now. With a mining helmet, they all looked distinctly different. In darker settings, you could still tell the difference based off what primary color you could make out. Iron was red/brown with sharper edges, coal was a mushy black, lead was kind of an indistinct blue, and nitrate was a lumpy white. Oil sands looked a lot like someone had melted the coal texture and added some purple for funsies.

• 2 months later...

alpha 17.1 stable b9

You should check your settings. I had the same problem on low graphics, but when i bumped it up to medium and restarted the game i can now see the old look for iron sand and nitrate. Now i just need to find some coal and lead to verify. But try it and see if it makes a difference.

Archived