Steak & Potatoes compared to Bacon & Eggs

StevenT475

Food needs some balance still I think. So charred meat and grilled meat give the same stats, even though you need a grill for grilled, and I would consider charred meat to be poorly grilled meat (you stick it on the end of a stick and try not to burn the ♥♥♥♥ out of it I guess), considering I live on grilled meat for realz, I've always hated how ♥♥♥♥ty grilled meat is in this game anyway.

Then we've got boiled meat (forget for a minute IRL I consider an abomination and blasphemy against all that is good and meaty) which has better healing/stam AND gives 10 hydration to boot.

Then there's our go to bacon and eggs, because who doesn't love bacon and eggs. It's slightly better than blueberry pie, but then pie only uses 1 egg, which seems to be the limiting factor on cooking (we scavenge every birds nest and I even buy them if trader has them but we also hunt every animal we see, and meat supply always outpaces eggs) couple this with the boiled meat above It's made us rethink what we keep in stock.

Yes, this takes water bottles, so obviously this is a more late-early/early-midgame thing, when water bottles are not a concern anymore.

Since I can't be arsed to put another point into cooking that's all I got. One of us just put 2nd point in and exclaimed "Hobo stew! OMG! OMFG!" but then he had to go for the night, and he never did make us any hobo stew so I'm still waiting to see what the fuss is about.

Since I can't be arsed to put another point into cooking that's all I got. One of us just put 2nd point in and exclaimed "Hobo stew! OMG! OMFG!" but then he had to go for the night, and he never did make us any hobo stew so I'm still waiting to see what the fuss is about.
Hobo Stew has the same stats as Meat Stew but you make it with rotten flesh.

Throughout 7DTD history we (me & my freinds on our private server) we have never bothered with any food except:

*Corn Bread

*Bacon & Eggs

*Vegetable Stew

*Meat Stew

A17 have not changed this in any way, as food balance is still as uneven as it always was. I don't see why any other variants is in the game really. Not that I don't like diversity, I do. But because their stats and resource costs makes it not worth it. The new skill system and new foods haven't changed this.

The advantage of Steak and Potatoes is that you don't need corn to make a rough equivalent to meat stew. Both take 10 meat.

Corn bread, likewise, is if you don't have potatoes. Baked potatoes give the same food without needing glass.

The big reason why you'd use Steak & Potatoes over Bacon & eggs: Do you have eggs? It's easy to run out, particularly if you're sitting on stacks of feathers for arrows and ignoring nests or travelling by vehicle. Once you have a farm and 'higher priorities', you tend to not forage as much.

In my current game (Level 110, day 35), I have only used bacon and eggs or meat stew aside from the first few days where it was canned food and charred meat. However, this is with bugged gracie spawns that provided a massive amount of meat. Still for the price of 10 meat, which is the rarest of the commodities in cooking, meat stew reigns supreme.

As far as smell goes, I actually want the highest aggro possible. If I can stand in the middle of a city block and issue a call to all zeds... give me the smelliest food possible. One of the key differences in A17 (and A16 too) was that I run TOWARDS hordes of zombies instead of away. That's just more XP.

In my current game (Level 110, day 35), I have only used bacon and eggs or meat stew aside from the first few days where it was canned food and charred meat. However, this is with bugged gracie spawns that provided a massive amount of meat. Still for the price of 10 meat, which is the rarest of the commodities in cooking, meat stew reigns supreme.

As far as smell goes, I actually want the highest aggro possible. If I can stand in the middle of a city block and issue a call to all zeds... give me the smelliest food possible. One of the key differences in A17 (and A16 too) was that I run TOWARDS hordes of zombies instead of away. That's just more XP.

I'd prefer veggie stew, mushrooms grow properly and don't take forever like in a16 and you don't need to watch them either. 2 corn, potatos mushrooms and a bottle of water, once you get production of that going your pretty much set.

Why is it that Steak meal that takes twice as much meat and requires an extra skill point gives you less stamina and health than bacon and eggs? Is this a bug or am I missing something?

With how plentiful potatoes and corn are in the cities I had 20+ meat stews by day 4 on my SP game. In my MP game I'm too lazy to go harvest 'em so bacon and eggs it is.

Hobo Stew has the same stats as Meat Stew but you make it with rotten flesh.

Oh, thanks. Doesn't seem like we acquire as much rotten flesh as meat, but then it's like the 1st thing I will toss when I start getting encumbered.

Throughout 7DTD history we (me & my freinds on our private server) we have never bothered with any food except:

*Corn Bread

*Bacon & Eggs

*Vegetable Stew

*Meat Stew

A17 have not changed this in any way, as food balance is still as uneven as it always was. I don't see why any other variants is in the game really. Not that I don't like diversity, I do. But because their stats and resource costs makes it not worth it. The new skill system and new foods haven't changed this.

Really? I'm not finding that at all now. Baked taters are annoying since you've got to eat them constantly (at least pre-last nights patch) but when you don't need to heal they do the job and let you save the better food for when you do. Corn bread , the king of A17, isn't that good at all anymore.

Smell still isn't a thing right now. I hope it stays out too; zombies don't eat people food, they eat people. So why should your food attract them? I am enjoying getting my 3x stealth shots in. Besides, all it ever did was further reinforce cornbread/baconeggs as the only foods worth carrying.

Meat the rarest? I'd say eggs. I've actually started boiling the excess meat over 1 stack since we decided eggs are better used for blueberry pie. (granted I have 4 man crew). Bonus of boiled meat in the field you can save a slot not carrying tea if you aren't a big pill-popper.

Yes, blueberry pies are what I'm mostly living on right now. Some bacon and eggs to supplement, but there are SO many blueberry patches in towns that it's a great source. I've had no issues since day 2 when I got a pot from a forest POI and I don't see food issues any time in the future. Of all the things that are issues with a17e, food hasn't been one of them.

I'm a noob, I only recently discovered the power of corn bread..

4 food for 1 corn and a glass bottle? Honestly, you're pretty much eating corn flavored glass at that ratio. Corn on the cob has cornbread beat by a point. Both use 1 corn and 1 bottle of water.

Baked potatoes have both beat by not even needing water.

Unfortunately, it hasn't changed much with A17. Unless they really balance out all the various food sources and their benefits, or implement a new system where you need to have a "balanced diet", most recipes will just be useless. It's a shame especially because most recipes feel like they just clogup the recipe page for no actual purpose other than "providing options" that you shouldn't/don't need to use, and because there's skills/perk to unlock to craft better recipes that... are useless.

Pretty sure Bacon and Eggs is massively OP right now. As in broken and in need of balancing. There is really no point in wasting any points in Master Chef past level 2.

But then food in general is OP? On our current (two player) run, we currently have 550 Meat in our fridge. Without even trying, just killing animals when we see them. We actually cannot collect or farm enough other ingredients to use up the meat! This has never happened in previous alphas, where we might have stockpiled 30, 40 meat but typically use it as soon as we get it.

Archived