XPath Modding Explanation Thread

sphereii

Just did a quick bit of digging through the code to see what is implemented.

In XmlPatcher, the following functions (and their inputs) are called:

case "set":

return _targetFile.SetByXPath(attribute, _patchElement, _patchName) > 0;

case "setattribute":

return _targetFile.SetAttributeByXPath(attribute, _patchElement, _patchName) > 0;

case "append":

return _targetFile.AppendByXPath(attribute, _patchElement, _patchName) > 0;

case "prepend":

return _targetFile.PrependByXPath(attribute, _patchElement, _patchName) > 0;

case "insertBefore":

return _targetFile.InsertBeforeByXPath(attribute, _patchElement, _patchName) > 0;

case "insertAfter":

return _targetFile.InsertAfterByXPath(attribute, _patchElement, _patchName) > 0;

case "remove":

return _targetFile.RemoveByXPath(attribute, _patchName) > 0;

hope that clears things up!

So I am diving into this, I'm not all that familiar with XML, but I have been learning Python for a bit. Figured this was way cooler and easier than writing a script to edit stuff. Took my first stab at removing the radiated vultures until the Null Exception is fixed, how did I do? Won't have a chance to test it for a bit.

<config>

<set xpath="/entitygroups/entity[@name=animalZombieVultureRadiated]/property[@name=prob=]/@value">0.00</set>

</config>

Do node specifiers have any sort of conditions such as greater/less than, or greater/less than or equal to? Eg.

[@value=>=60]

Yes you can, but you'll need to escape them

See below: the change willonly happen if the stage is greater than 23 and less than 153.

<append xpath='/gamestages/spawner[@name="BloodMoonHorde"]/gamestage[ @stage > 23 and @stage < 153]' >
	<spawn group="ZombiesNight" num="10" maxAlive="8"/>
</append>

I forgot what a... joy... modding could be.

What's wrong with this? The game tells me something starts with an illegal character.

<7DTDmod>

<set xpath="/recipes/recipe[@name=foodMeatStew]/ingredient[@name=foodRawMeat]/@count">5</set>

</7DTDmod>

I am trying to work my way through this thread, full of helpful stuff but there's so much more advanced than the level I'm at... any help appreciated, and I'll keep hammering away at my round hole with my square peg :D

Can anyone help, i'm trying to reduce the number of opened lootable items but it is not liking the ends-with?

Thanks

2018-11-27T21:21:34 12.869 ERR XML loader: Patching 'blockplaceholders.xml' from mod 'Better Balance Mod' failed

2018-11-27T21:21:34 12.869 EXC function ends-with not found

<!-- Reduce 'opened' lootable items -->
<set xpath="/blockplaceholders/*/block[ends-with(@name, 'Open')]/@prob">.8</set>
<set xpath="/blockplaceholders/*/block[ends-with(@name, 'Closed')]/@prob">.2</set>

I forgot what a... joy... modding could be.

What's wrong with this? The game tells me something starts with an illegal character.

<7DTDmod>

<set xpath="/recipes/recipe[@name=foodMeatStew]/ingredient[@name=foodRawMeat]/@count">5</set>

</7DTDmod>

I am trying to work my way through this thread, full of helpful stuff but there's so much more advanced than the level I'm at... any help appreciated, and I'll keep hammering away at my round hole with my square peg :D

Looked fine and a quick test it worked for me chaning the count to "1". You are adding it to recipes.xml?

\mods\modname\config\recipes.xml

<7DTDmod>

</7DTDmod>

I don't know if the game engine is using a standard XML document model, but normally element names can't start with a number. The have to start with a letter or an underscore. So, "7DTDmod" isn't a legal element name.

I don't know if the game engine is using a standard XML document model, but normally element names can't start with a number. The have to start with a letter or an underscore. So, "7DTDmod" isn't a legal element name.

That would explain why when I pasted the <set path...> line into my existing modded files which have a <Better...> element name it worked.

Good eye. I think that's the issue here.

The root node can really nearly anything, other than numbers.

Looking to change up the progression of the game, basically what I want to do is change when certain levels of perks become available.

Example from:

Perception
1 level requirement - 1
2 level requirement - 1
3 level requirement - 1
4 level requirement - 20
5 level requirement - 30
6 level requirement - 40
7 level requirement - 50
etc.

Example to:

Perception
1 level requirement - 1
2 level requirement - 5
3 level requirement - 10
4 level requirement - 15
5 level requirement - 20
etc.

I did similar things to this with a16 but since a17 has moved to xpath I don't really know how to do a whole lot.

Can anyone help, i'm trying to reduce the number of opened lootable items but it is not liking the ends-with?

Thanks

2018-11-27T21:21:34 12.869 ERR XML loader: Patching 'blockplaceholders.xml' from mod 'Better Balance Mod' failed

2018-11-27T21:21:34 12.869 EXC function ends-with not found

<!-- Reduce 'opened' lootable items -->
<set xpath="/blockplaceholders/*/block[ends-with(@name, 'Open')]/@prob">.8</set>
<set xpath="/blockplaceholders/*/block[ends-with(@name, 'Closed')]/@prob">.2</set>

This sounds like a bug in the implementation.

I'll report it.

Until then, would contains() give you enough uniqueness to make your changes?

- - - Updated - - -

Looking to change up the progression of the game, basically what I want to do is change when certain levels of perks become available.

Example from:

Perception
1 level requirement - 1
2 level requirement - 1
3 level requirement - 1
4 level requirement - 20
5 level requirement - 30
6 level requirement - 40
7 level requirement - 50
etc.

Example to:

Perception
1 level requirement - 1
2 level requirement - 5
3 level requirement - 10
4 level requirement - 15
5 level requirement - 20
etc.

I did similar things to this with a16 but since a17 has moved to xpath I don't really know how to do a whole lot.

If you show us the XML you want to change, then we can show you how to reference it.

Sorry, didn't think the actual xml was required. I want to change this:

<attribute name="attPerception" name_key="attPerceptionName" desc_key="attPerceptionDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_stealth">
<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqGenericLevel01"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqGenericLevel02"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqGenericLevel03"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="20" desc_key="reqGenericLevel04"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="30" desc_key="reqGenericLevel05"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="6"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="40" desc_key="reqGenericLevel06"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="7"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="50" desc_key="reqGenericLevel07"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="8"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="60" desc_key="reqGenericLevel08"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="9"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="80" desc_key="reqGenericLevel09"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="10"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="100" desc_key="reqGenericLevel10"/></level_requirements>

To this:

<attribute name="attPerception" name_key="attPerceptionName" desc_key="attPerceptionDesc" icon="ui_game_symbol_stealth">
<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="1" desc_key="reqGenericLevel01"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="2"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqGenericLevel02"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="3"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqGenericLevel03"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="4"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="15" desc_key="reqGenericLevel04"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="5"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="20" desc_key="reqGenericLevel05"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="6"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="25" desc_key="reqGenericLevel06"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="7"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="30" desc_key="reqGenericLevel07"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="8"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="35" desc_key="reqGenericLevel08"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="9"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="40" desc_key="reqGenericLevel09"/></level_requirements>
<level_requirements level="10"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="45" desc_key="reqGenericLevel10"/></level_requirements>

I suppose while I'm on this I take it adding additional levels to it would be easy as well? So what I mean is adding this to the end of the code:

<level_requirements level="11"><requirement name="PlayerLevel" target="self" operation="GTE" value="50" desc_key="reqGenericLevel10"/></level_requirements>

Sorry, didn't think the actual xml was required. I want to change this:

<snip>

Here's the code from my level changes you could tweak;

<!-- lower level requirements on progression -->
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='4']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">8</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='5']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">16</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='6']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">24</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='7']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">32</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='8']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">40</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='9']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">50</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='10']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">60</set>

Edited by SurvivalUK (see edit history)

This sounds like a bug in the implementation.

I'll report it.

Until then, would contains() give you enough uniqueness to make your changes?

Thanks sphereii, in the end i extracted the names i wanted and added them line by line. I'll revisit if it turns out the end-with is bugged once fixed.

Here's the code from my level changes you could tweak;

<!-- lower level requirements on progression -->
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='4']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">8</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='5']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">16</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='6']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">24</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='7']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">32</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='8']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">40</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='9']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">50</set>
	<set xpath="/progression/attributes/attribute[starts-with(@name, 'att')]/level_requirements[@level='10']/requirement[@name='PlayerLevel' and @operation='GTE']/@value">60</set>

That sets me in the right direction, thanks

So I keep getting warnings and apply not set, could someone tell me what is wrong with this code?

<configs>
<set xpath="/entityclasses/entity_class[@name='DroppedLootContainer']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1800</set>
</configs>

Trying to change from

<entity_class name="DroppedLootContainer"> <!-- used after a container block is destroyed -->
<property name="Mesh" value="LootContainers/backpack_droppedPrefab"/>
<property name="ModelType" value="Custom"/>
<property name="Prefab" value="Backpack"/>
<property name="Class" value="EntityLootContainer"/>
<property name="Parent" value="Backpack"/>
<property name="TimeStayAfterDeath" value="60"/>
<property name="IsEnemyEntity" value="false"/>
<property name="LootListOnDeath" value="4"/> <!-- used to determine container X/Y size -->
<property name="Faction" value="none"/>
</entity_class>

To this.

<entity_class name="DroppedLootContainer"> <!-- used after a container block is destroyed -->
<property name="Mesh" value="LootContainers/backpack_droppedPrefab"/>
<property name="ModelType" value="Custom"/>
<property name="Prefab" value="Backpack"/>
<property name="Class" value="EntityLootContainer"/>
<property name="Parent" value="Backpack"/>
<property name="TimeStayAfterDeath" value="1800"/>
<property name="IsEnemyEntity" value="false"/>
<property name="LootListOnDeath" value="4"/> <!-- used to determine container X/Y size -->
<property name="Faction" value="none"/>
</entity_class>

So I keep getting warnings and apply not set, could someone tell me what is wrong with this code?

<configs>
<set xpath="/entityclasses/entity_class[@name='DroppedLootContainer']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1800</set>
</configs>

You missed the underscore from the entity_classes.

From my mod;

<!-- Loot and player bag remain for longer -->
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='Backpack']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">3600</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='DroppedLootContainer']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">240</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerRegular']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerStrong']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerBoss']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>
	<set xpath="/entity_classes/entity_class[@name='EntityLootContainerBandit']/property[@name='TimeStayAfterDeath']/@value">1200</set>