A16 - Classic Nomad Survival

sphereii

gmrsYMq.png

Welcome to the Classic Nomad Survival (CNS) mod, from sphereii and xyth, a new sphereii-mental Proof of Concept mod.

Enter our world, and test your survival skills in this limited-crafting Romero-style mod, inspired by Valmar's Classic Horde Survival mod.

Based on vanilla XML, with twists from the Magoli's Compo Pack and Tin's magical rwgmixer settings, CNS offers experienced players fresh new challenges, along with new mechanics that will influence the world and you. Challenge yourself and your friends as you fight for your very survival in this hardcore mod where loot and scoot is the name of the game.

Code contributions from a variety of people, including StompyNZ, HAL9000, Carlzilla, stedman420, Mortelentus and TormentedEmu.

You've asked for this mod. And you probably asked the wrong people to make it.

Start your regrets now through the 7D2D Mod Launcher, under the Sphereii-mental / CNS section.

Client Download:

-----------------

7D2D Mod Launcher:

Available through the Mod Launcher under the "sphereii-mental" section, called CNS.

Manual Download:

https://gitlab.com/7D2DModLauncher-Mirror/CHS/repository/master/archive.zip

Download and extract over top of a clean version of 7 Days to Die

Server Download:

Server Download is available in the above link. Copy over the Mods, Data, and 7DaysToDieServer_Data folder.

Patches:

April 9th, 2018 - Rebalances of some XML

April 10th, 2018 - Rebalance Horde

April 15th, 2018 - Item and loot adjustments.

April 18th, 2018 - Fixed lights, loot crates, and adjust loot

A tip o' the hat to "Val" of Valmod. His Classic Horde Survival mod was a favorite of mine...as it was challenging but didnt require days of commitment to enjoy it.

This mod continues in that tradition, it is perfect for those players who only have a few hours to play every few days. Those hours will feel like a lifetime in this mod. See how many days you can survive.

The mod will need balancing, especially in the loot system and mid game progression, so please provide suggestions how we can improve it. Enjoy, and let us know how what you think.

One of the main features in any SphereII-Mental mod is to showcase proof of concept mechanics that do not exist in other mods. Most are hidden, and players will stumble onto them if they pay attantion. Many things just work "differently" or are impossible to do in vanilla due to code changes.

Actually the MOD is very HARD CORE, some points are positive and others negative.

Liked it:

You lose 1 life when you hit with your hand.

"Zumbi tracks you with torch heat.

-Map is nice.

Negatives:

- No Axestone

-Does not have a wooden club

-Spikes you need Duct Tape, Jesus what ??

-1 arrow 3 feathers like this ??

among others, I am still playing and trying to understand the logic behind certain things.

I really wanted to find out how you set up for the zombies to track down the heat so fast !!

how large is this mod ?

i have limited internet data.

If you do the Direct Download, or download the master.zip, the mod should be about 150 megs. Once extracted, it's quite a bit bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually the MOD is very HARD CORE, some points are positive and others negative.

Liked it:

You lose 1 life when you hit with your hand.

"Zumbi tracks you with torch heat.

-Map is nice.

Negatives:

- No Axestone

among others, I am still playing and trying to understand the logic behind certain things.

I really wanted to find out how you set up for the zombies to track down the heat so fast !!

We are glad you are enjoying this.

We decided to severely limit your crafting, especially items people use right from the start to end game, like the axe and bow. It has a wood club, but you cannot craft it. Instead, look for drift wood, and small trees with 15 HP to get a starter club.

For the spikes, something needs to hold the spikes together :)

I have only one very simple question;

How in the world can I take damage from punching grass ?

Paper cuts. The idea is to think out of the box, and use what you have at hand, that's not your hands. Use flash light, sharp stone, torch, club, etc.

This mod does not need to make total sense; it's intention is to challenge and change play styles.

Negatives:

- No Axestone

There is an alternative to the stone ax that you can craft. The tutorial teaches you.

Have you ever seen an arrow with 1 feather? It takes 3 or 4. Common sense there.

Woodclub-like and other weapon objects exist all around you. Not going to spoil it, but try some things.

How would you hold a group of spikes together without rope? Duct tape.

Found some bugs, I'm just gonna collect them in this post if I happen to stumble over more:

- The driftwood club has no quality and does no damage, I'm guessing it's because it's picked up with E instead of harvested like the woodbranch? Cause otherwise the xml for both looks identical.

- I found construction loot spawners encased in wood that I could remove with E, when removed I get the generic green spawner instead of a container, maybe again it must be destroyed for the spawn to be triggered?

ETA:

- the oldtrophy weapon has no icon

- the dropped backpack lootcontainer only has a size of 5,10 so can't accommodate the new 45-slot-backpack + toolbar + clothing

Found some bugs, I'm just gonna collect them in this post if I happen to stumble over more:

- The driftwood club has no quality and does no damage, I'm guessing it's because it's picked up with E instead of harvested like the woodbranch? Cause otherwise the xml for both looks identical.

Known issue but is base mechanics about picking up a block and not having a quality. It's acceptable, since the drift wood club is meant as an absolute desperate weapon. It will still do 1 point of damage, and can be effective to blowing off heads.

- I found construction loot spawners encased in wood that I could remove with E, when removed I get the generic green spawner instead of a container, maybe again it must be destroyed for the spawn to be triggered?

Known issue. It's the downgrade process not working entirely as expected on some crates. It still provides loot, however awkward it may look.

I'm curious, why did you change the light models? They're weirdly small in scale and many are misrotated now, which doesn't help immersion. (I also edited my previous post with a couple more bugs, that backpack one might lead to a riot if someone discovers it at the wrong time ;))

I'm curious, why did you change the light models? They're weirdly small in scale and many are misrotated now, which doesn't help immersion. (I also edited my previous post with a couple more bugs, that backpack one might lead to a riot if someone discovers it at the wrong time ;))

Thank you for the feed back.

The light models was an older trick to disable the lit lights in prefabs to reduce the performance hit inside cities. It gave us a small boost, which translated to having more zombies on screen. Unfortunately, the rotations are messed up on them.

ETA:

- the oldtrophy weapon has no icon

- the dropped backpack lootcontainer only has a size of 5,10 so can't accommodate the new 45-slot-backpack + toolbar + clothing

New build pushed to fix this :)

Thank you for the feed back.

The light models was an older trick to disable the lit lights in prefabs to reduce the performance hit inside cities. It gave us a small boost, which translated to having more zombies on screen. Unfortunately, the rotations are messed up on them.

Thank you for the small lights.

The lights usually give me horrible lag.

Is it on purpose that the special zeds like AshCops don't give any xp at all, not even a little like the regular zeds? They're a lot tougher after all.

Also, I think I found a way to handle the lights a bit better: I made those block IDs air-blocks. Seems to work out fine, and since the player lights are separate blocks we should still be able to build those. IMO no lights in prefabs is less distracting than weirdly misrotated ones ;)

Archived