Building in the Desert - Best options? Plans? Thoughts?

Lonestarcanuck

I love the desert! why? fast digging, food such as Yucca, and aloe and endless easy fiber.

What I don't like is cave-ins and buildings falling down because they are to big or heavy.

I find myself looking for something around -20 to -30 elevation and digging a 12x12 hole to bedrock. I than build a 6x8 tall building and call it home.

zombies fall in, hit some spikes and dye.

So what are you tips and tricks for Desert living?

Yucca is also good for a cooling drink.

But yeah... trying to make a home on sand is a bad idea in the real world and in this one. You could just dig "stilts" going all the way down to bedrock and then build on top of them, if you'd rather stay on the surface. I personally think the SI calculations need to be rethought for underground.

mining in the desert is a struggle for sure. Get a little carried away and you have to deal with massive areas collapsing, which causes crazy lag until all the blocks finally stop falling.

I've never actually tried to build a big base in the desert, does stuff just randomly collapse?

Tank top, skirt (they're everywhere), poncho and leather duster. If I start getting hot I make a straw hat and drink yucca. I build my base on a highway in the flattest part of the dessert I can find. For mining I have a drop shoot and elevator lift in my base, and tunnel far away from base to actually mine.

I start with digging out a hole to hide out initially underground. Put a floor/ceiling above level with the ground around the base area so that if any wandering hordes come by they walk right over. At the corners of the excavated area, I place my initial support pillars, and then determine where I want my 'dig' down point to be. I dig down a 1x2 hole and as I go down I make sure I'm crafting flagstone blocks and ladders, so that I can support the structure above with atleast one pillar to bedrock. The desert sand has enough SI load bearing to be able to handle a flagstone block stuck to it, and because it's a 1x2 hole, the flagstone blocks will be supported on three sides, so more than enough, even when digging down under your support pillar.

Alternatively dig a 1x1 hole straight down to bedrock, and then widen it to a 1x2 when you're at the bottom to start placing your support pillar and work your way up. Once you got a flagstone pillar to bedrock you can be sure that you have some SI load bearing at the top for the roof that is above at ground level.

When I built a hatch elevator, I added additional flagstone pillars to increase the overall support the base above had.

From there it's just a matter of knowing how far out from your central pillar your corner pillars are, so that if you hollow out the area down below, you can shore up the structure above at the X,Y coordinates down below to ensure you maintain SI all the way to bedrock. Never had a structure above collapse. With that said, I don't do much digging directly undernearth the base, and instead pick a direction to the nearest biome of interest, and start digging in that direction.

Unless you dig out a significantly large area, you shouldn't have too many problems with SI, since the blocks above your dug out area will get load bearing from the structurally sound blocks from the columns that you haven't dug out. The deeper you dig, the larger a cavern you can dig out, but regardless, it's always a good idea to put some support pillars periodically.

Put in a pillar to bedrock every 4 blocks, then make your "floor" two blocks deep into the ground, and you're solid from a foundation perspective. You can use any stone material to get the job done. I usually use flagstone for the pillars because cobblestones are so cheap. After that, your surface base can be limitless, as far as I can tell.

Correct.

Yes, but I still do it in hopes that the ONE (of two) PIECE(s) OF CLOTHING THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE TO COOL YOU, makes a return as an item that cools. The hat being the other, of course. The other items (tshirt, shorts) should just not count towards warming you. There's a difference.

Yes, but I still do it in hopes that the ONE (of two) PIECE(s) OF CLOTHING THAT ACTUALLY MAKES SENSE TO COOL YOU, makes a return as an item that cools. The hat being the other, of course. The other items (tshirt, shorts) should just not count towards warming you. There's a difference.

I remember MM mentioning a redo on clothing modifiers to remove the negatives... so maybe this will be addressed with that update? I agree that many of the clothing modifiers don't make sense but it is a game. For instance, why would a poncho cool you drastically but a duster overheat you quickly? Layered clothing works as well for keeping cold out and it does keeping heat out.

I start with digging out a hole to hide out initially underground. Put a floor/ceiling above level with the ground around the base area so that if any wandering hordes come by they walk right over. At the corners of the excavated area, I place my initial support pillars, and then determine where I want my 'dig' down point to be. I dig down a 1x2 hole and as I go down I make sure I'm crafting flagstone blocks and ladders, so that I can support the structure above with atleast one pillar to bedrock. The desert sand has enough SI load bearing to be able to handle a flagstone block stuck to it, and because it's a 1x2 hole, the flagstone blocks will be supported on three sides, so more than enough, even when digging down under your support pillar.

Alternatively dig a 1x1 hole straight down to bedrock, and then widen it to a 1x2 when you're at the bottom to start placing your support pillar and work your way up. Once you got a flagstone pillar to bedrock you can be sure that you have some SI load bearing at the top for the roof that is above at ground level.

When I built a hatch elevator, I added additional flagstone pillars to increase the overall support the base above had.

From there it's just a matter of knowing how far out from your central pillar your corner pillars are, so that if you hollow out the area down below, you can shore up the structure above at the X,Y coordinates down below to ensure you maintain SI all the way to bedrock. Never had a structure above collapse. With that said, I don't do much digging directly undernearth the base, and instead pick a direction to the nearest biome of interest, and start digging in that direction.

Unless you dig out a significantly large area, you shouldn't have too many problems with SI, since the blocks above your dug out area will get load bearing from the structurally sound blocks from the columns that you haven't dug out. The deeper you dig, the larger a cavern you can dig out, but regardless, it's always a good idea to put some support pillars periodically.

Why? If the area collapse you can go in any direction and you have a huge hole AND SPACE to go anywhere you want. Isn't it better than beeing stuck between 2 blocks? That would make me crazy. Edit: I thought you were talking about mining

Archived