Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

I was under the impression that it wasn't the over-arching world gen cell size, but rather the hub rules. These:

<width value="735, 735" />

<height value="255, 255" />

that constrained the maximum size of a hub. That cell size determined biomes, and each biome could have up to one hub within it, but that the hub could grow well beyond the bounds of it's cell(otherwise you wouldn't see cities crossing biome boundaries)? One way to test would be to make very, very small cell size but increase the hub stats.

I was under the impression that it wasn't the over-arching world gen cell size, but rather the hub rules. These:

<width value="735, 735" />

<height value="255, 255" />

that constrained the maximum size of a hub. That cell size determined biomes, and each biome could have up to one hub within it, but that the hub could grow well beyond the bounds of it's cell(otherwise you wouldn't see cities crossing biome boundaries)? One way to test would be to make very, very small cell size but increase the hub stats.

The width/height are extra control limits for the hub size.

You can actually control the over all size of the hub through the street axiom/rules and then use those extra width height values to constrain it even further if you want. You can also use the street axiom/rules to make your hub smaller than the width height settings as well.

The biome size is set from the biome generator. Depending how you want it you can make the biomes smaller than the cell size or many times bigger.

Each cell can have up to 1 hub in it. Biome can have many depending on it size.

Edit: also the height setting isnt really need all that much ;)

Edit2: Sorry for the mini discussion @KhaineGB I'll move it to a different thread but it's keeping your thread bumped ;) because it deserves it nice work :thumb:

Edited by Tin (see edit history)

Hey, mini discussion is fine. There is still a LOT I don't understand about rwgmixer. :)

Now I need to work out how to add more wilderness POI's.

example:

<wilderness_rule name="Wilderness_Settlements" spawn_min_max="[color="#FFFF00"]12,36[/color]"> <!-- increase spawn_min_max="[num]" to add more wilderness pois for each cell area          -->
<path_material value="dirt" />	                                  <!-- paths material to be used *must be terrain block*                                 -->
<path_radius value="2" />	                                      <!-- Paths width leading to poi                                                        -->
<path_adjust_terrain value="true"/>                               <!-- not working atm?!                                                                 -->
<prefab_rule name="wildernessGroupRural" prob="1"/>               <!-- What Poi list to use                                                              -->
</wilderness_rule>

Note the highlighted value numbers. That's it. That controls how many individual poi's will be in a cell.

If you want d/l my mod and pull the rwgmixer file to look at. I have a lot of comments in it to help ppl along. ;)

Edited by Tin (see edit history)

Yeah, I mentioned the wilderness spawn_min_max values. If you increase cell size, you have to proportionally increase those numbers to keep POI density at vanilla levels. So double hub size needs double spawn numbers. 50% increase in cell size needs 50% increase, etc. Not doing so results in very long distances between pois, increasing them more results in more frequent pois.

Actually, i guess those ratio depend on whether cell size is in square distance or not. If it is the number of total square [units] then proportional increase is needed. If it's in flat distance units, the actual area ends up the cell size^2, and so the proportional increase has to be squared too. So double needs those numbers to be x4, 50% increase would need x2.25, etc.

So, I modified cell size down to 700, left everything else as is, and still ended up with full sized cities. They bumped right up against one another on some borders, and you could see the separation points. So I think that though cell size does technically provide an absolute upper limit on city size, increasing it will not increase city size -at all-, alone. It will just result in the same size cities, separated by vast empty spaces. Because cities don't grow to fill the cell, they just are constrained by the limits of the cell as an upper bound. One has to increase the hub size, and possibly other hub rules, to actually generate a bigger city within the cell, because that is what determines the size of the city itself. The cell size determines how much empty land is generated around the city.

So thank you dreamdancer and Tin. The POI situation is pretty much sorted. You can still get a somewhat large expanse of land between POI's, but it's not as bad now.

And there's a lot more POI's in the wilderness. :) Currently playing around with my hub city setup a bit.

Pushed an update to increase the wilderness POI's. :)

This mod sounds really tempting, I'm going to give this a run tomorrow on stream and see how it goes. Do you have a website or twitter so I can send you any bugs or anything that i come across?

Yep. @KhainesKorner on twitter.

Hmm. The trader's being unprotected seems to up the odds of the trader despawn glitch.... :/

Huh. I haven't had that problem, though I've only gotten up to day 7 on testing since I kept having to restart.

Honestly, when the choices are: No NPC's at all, NPC's with NRE console spam or NPC's but the trader may disappear.... I'll take disappearing trader.

What I can do is increase the amount of traders to 2 per biome and see if that helps.

Not gonna lie, I couldn't get rwgmixer to do what I wanted.

So I grabbed Tin's A16.3 one he posted up and I've been playing around with that. I may end up using that, with some more of my own tweaks. I'm partially posting that here because I want to be transparent, and because I want to give credit where credit is due. :)

Now I just want to make the cities spawn further apart and I will be super happy.

Not gonna lie, I couldn't get rwgmixer to do what I wanted.

So I grabbed Tin's A16.3 one he posted up and I've been playing around with that. I may end up using that, with some more of my own tweaks. I'm partially posting that here because I want to be transparent, and because I want to give credit where credit is due. :)

Now I just want to make the cities spawn further apart and I will be super happy.

Couple things I can think of of the top of my head to help is:

Make a dead cell that doesn't have a hub in it, will take a few reloads to find what prob="" will work for you. Also increase the cell_size more so it's less likely to spawn them close together.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. The trader's being unprotected seems to up the odds of the trader despawn glitch.... :/

Yep. In GameEdges Vid of The Dying Lands it despawned a trader in one of the towns he was in, but since it works for me Im using it ;)

Couple things I can think of of the top of my head to help is:

Make a dead cell that doesn't have a hub in it, will take a few reloads to find what prob="" will work for you. Also increase the cell_size more so it's less likely to spawn them close together.

I thought increasing the dead cell probability would work, but I wasn't sure if that would screw up the wilderness POI's.

Thanks for the hint though! Will play around with it. :)

I thought increasing the dead cell probability would work, but I wasn't sure if that would screw up the wilderness POI's.

Thanks for the hint though! Will play around with it. :)

you can add/sub more or less wilderness poi's to the dead cell by itself so you should be good :)

I may need to pick your brain, Tin.

Using that rwgmixer, I CANNOT get my city to spawn at 0,0 (or close to it) since it likes to put it's own there. Any thoughts? I do have wasteland_hub around it, if I can restrict things based on biome.

EDIT: Though I did find setting a custom cell rule to probability 100 totally crashes the game. So that was entertaining. :D

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

I may need to pick your brain, Tin.

Using that rwgmixer, I CANNOT get my city to spawn at 0,0 (or close to it) since it likes to put it's own there. Any thoughts? I do have wasteland_hub around it, if I can restrict things based on biome.

EDIT: Though I did find setting a custom cell rule to probability 100 totally crashes the game. So that was entertaining. :D

I think! (been awhile) but I think! you need to have all the cells have a prob="" with them. I don't usually designate a central city anymore since it's so sporadic if the terrain even allows one to be placed atm. I usually just give my special city/town a prob="" of 0.05 and that usually will place 1 sometimes 2 in a play field, for now at least. Maybe later we'll get a system that will allow us a more consistent control on that at some point.

I think! (been awhile) but I think! you need to have all the cells have a prob="" with them. I don't usually designate a central city anymore since it's so sporadic if the terrain even allows one to be placed atm. I usually just give my special city/town a prob="" of 0.05 and that usually will place 1 sometimes 2 in a play field, for now at least. Maybe later we'll get a system that will allow us a more consistent control on that at some point.

Well I think I got it sort-of working. I made cityLarge the only one allowed to have the skyscrapers that I want to limit, set co-ordiates and it was -500 away from them to the west.

So there's progress!