A16 - STARVATION Mod for A16

Mortelentus

Suggestions/Questions:

1. Any plans to make some kind of heater that use electricity that keeps a room warm? Similar to the AC unit.

2. Any plans to allow indoor farming (with appropriate temperature)? I don't know if stage 3-4 weather will affect farm growth, but at least for stage 5, you should allow indoor farms.

3. Any plans to stop spoilage from the weather? If it's really cold then I don't see why things should spoil.

4. Any plans to add food/drinks to increase temperature? I know coffee and beef stew, but how about new foods? Warm milk? Warm water?

5. I don't have any survivors (yeah I'm lazy) but will they die from the cold weather?

6. Does the cold weather affect fruit tree growth? My fully grown fruit trees didn't appear to revert back to so I assume mature fruit trees are not affected.

You can farm indoors, I do it all the time, you just need to have to make light shafts. 1 block of light, will light up 4 blocks in each direction.

I also found you can light from the side as well. I have trees growing in an enclosed area, and the only light coming in is from the side.

You can farm indoors, I do it all the time, you just need to have to make light shafts. 1 block of light, will light up 4 blocks in each direction.

I also found you can light from the side as well. I have trees growing in an enclosed area, and the only light coming in is from the side.

True but making light shafts to bedrock is lame - O !!! It's not as immersive as having a massive indoor farm to express your sustainability and "end game colony" feel.

Also temperature control.

Edited by Crable (see edit history)

Temperature fix is taking a bit longer then I expected, and I'm too tired to do it tonight... You'll have to wait till tomorrow.

As a side note, winter is supposed to stop farming all together... The idea is making food management and storage very important. It will still be possible to survive through scavenging, but keeping a healthy diet and keeping a working colony will require some food storage during non winter months.

Hi with this new global weather, it doesn't matter if you're indoors or not. Farms will not grow if it's too cold. The change I suggested is allowing plants to grow indoors if an enclosed room is at the right temperature and has enough sunlight. The idea of having artificial light (for growing plants) was brought up before.

Hi with this new global weather, it doesn't matter if you're indoors or not. Farms will not grow if it's too cold. The change I suggested is allowing plants to grow indoors if an enclosed room is at the right temperature and has enough sunlight. The idea of having artificial light (for growing plants) was brought up before.

Well, actually I start to see the possibility of your suggestion... If you manage to have a few AC heating the room, and some interior lights, it might be interesting to do... Let's first try to balance and fix the temperature and wetness, and we'll try that next.

Well, actually I start to see the possibility of your suggestion... If you manage to have a few AC heating the room, and some interior lights, it might be interesting to do... Let's first try to balance and fix the temperature and wetness, and we'll try that next.

Exactly, a well developed late game colony should have the capability to produce food indoors with heating and grow lights after investing in electricity and the infrastructure.

The game RimWorld (a colony simulator) has a huge emphasis on growing food indoors and outdoors and preparing for the long cold winter with temperature controls, hydroponics, and grow lights.

SO here is my post:

First off, thanks for all of your hard work. I tried to go back to vanilla 7 days to die and it was just so boring. I will never be able to play vanilla again because of how fun this mod is.

1) Grow lights are great and I would be super excited if this was implemented along with a heater of some sort to control the temperature within a room

2) Someone brought this up earlier in the thread but I also thought of a mechanic that can repair blocks. I am actually trying to play the game fairly and build an above ground base and I seem to be getting about 4 or 5 hordes a day (my day times are 2 hours long in real life). Maybe at some point a mechanic can be implemented that can slowly repair blocks IF THERE ARE NO ENEMIES NEAR BY within a large radius of him if he has materials available within a small radius from him. More automation for a developed end game colony.

3) Branching off of the end game colony idea, in my opinion the farmer should have more use and be far more important to an end game colony. The farm should be able to plant more crops, remove plagued plants, and harvest. Also the whole concept of having a snow ball upgraded seed container that degrades over time is kind of wonky. I think what bothers me is the concept that I have to harvest tons of snow now which technically has a limited supply in a very specific biome. Why not have the seed and harvest container be a special type of fridge or something that requires electricity to run eliminating the constant need for snow.

Or better yet, can I change it on my own in the XML file so that the snow upgrade does not degrade over time?

4) I am excited to test out animal husbandry and see how it works. I am reading that there are still some bugs but I am excited for it to be fully functioning again in the near future. Having a constant source of large animals for meat will be nice.

Thanks for your hard work.

Edited by Crable (see edit history)

is it winter time (always snowing) ? Btw, dogs and animals need no water atm.

PS -pigs and farm animals are definitely eating as long as they're tamed...

And there might be the problem. They always appear as untamed, even new ones, that I catch and put them on my farm, appear untamed. They walk around and never got stucked. The trough is in the middle of the farm, free access from all sides and there is no winter, we are at day 30.

The dogs are in room about 10x5 blocks and always get stuck at the door, maybe we should leave them walking free around, but they always go upstairs the wall and jump over the rail into the spikes and die.

So I guess we need to remove the stairs and try to let them roam around the house.

I found the *.anm files on the server and deleted them. Later when I am home, I will look in my client folder for the *.anm files and delete them, too.

PS: our rabbits and chicken eat and reproduce themself well.

is it winter time (always snowing) ? Btw, dogs and animals need no water atm.

PS -pigs and farm animals are definitely eating as long as they're tamed...

And there might be the problem. They always appear as untamed, even new ones, that I catch and put them on my farm, appear untamed. They walk around and never got stucked. The trough is in the middle of the farm, free access from all sides and there is no winter, we are at day 30.

The dogs are in room about 10x5 blocks and always get stuck at the door, maybe we should leave them walking free around, but they always go upstairs the wall and jump over the rail into the spikes and die.

So I guess we need to remove the stairs and try to let them roam around the house.

I found the *.anm files on the server and deleted them. Later when I am home, I will look in my client folder for the *.anm files and delete them, too.

PS: our rabbits and chicken eat and reproduce themself well.

As said before, all animals (farm and dogs) currently need to be "tamed" a second time after you place them once... Animals that you had previous to the last patch will need that too...

I'm actually gonna do a patch today that will hopefully improve dogs getting stuck (they're usually looking for the owner when that happens), and will remove the need for that second "taming" action....

It will also change the winter temperature management, and it is a client / server update.

How do you tame farm animals twice? I thought once you beat them with a stick and they appear in your inventory you just release them and they are yours.

That should be true, but atm you need to whip them a second time... I have that fixed now, and will release a patch later today.

I'm actually gonna do a patch today that will hopefully improve dogs getting stuck (they're usually looking for the owner when that happens), and will remove the need for that second "taming" action....

It will also change the winter temperature management, and it is a client / server update.

WOW, very fast as always. Thank you!

hey Mortelentus

I absolutely LOVE this mod!!!

I'm having trouble growing wheat and sunflowers

how many days does it take?

tomatoes and corn are growing

Edit:

Also I would like to understand husbandry a bit more

when I look at a tamed animal, I get "(E) search pig (UNTOUCHED)"

I click E and I get nothing

Is it supposed to do something?

Thanks in advance!

does it take longer now to farm certain plants since the update?

I replanted everything after the update, and wheat is not growing.

Also, can someone explain to me the taming thing?

I whip them, they appear in my inventory, I place them, whip them again, inventory, place them again, and then what?

oh and what about apple trees?

my apple tree looks like it is bearing apples, but I kept hitting it down to 300, and I got zero apple!

CLIENT / SERVER 16.0.1.03

• winter temperatures are for now defined in a set of buffs, until a better way can be setup. The weather configuration is still valid for everything, but the temperatures for the different winter stages (1-5) need to be modified in the buffs (winter1 to winter5), in order to avoid speed extensive patching - WILL NEED AS MUCH FEEDBACK AS POSSIBLE ON THIS ONE
  • dogs should be working better, and eating properly. They shouldn't get stuck so often, but remember to "disown" (issue order 6) your dogs if you want to leave them breeding, since they'll behave better that way without constantly trying to reach you to play or ask for food. That shouldn't be mandatory though, with the new code.
  • farm animals and dogs shouldn't need a second taming action now. They should work as usual... If you still have animals returning "tamed=false", you still need to grab them.

IMPORTANT NOTE - PUBLIC SERVERS ARE NOT UPDATED YET! WE WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED!

PS - public server files are available though.

PS - this patch had a few tests, but it wasn't extensively debugged. Everyone is a bit busy lately, and our test team is basically me, Xyth and Drengor atm... We may need more people for the test server...

Good or bad, this will be the LAST update of the week!

and...

PLEASE, READ THE PATCH NOTES

CLIENT / SERVER 16.0.1.01

Seasonal Weather

420e78c91c5a6b46d047ff74613dd906.jpg

• Minor edit to fix Linux xml error
  • Added heatmap to insectlights, same as candles
  • Quest radape fix
  • Tweaks to junk loot
  • Lowered objectives from 10 to 8 on stage5 quests. causing UI overflow?
  • Introducing yearly weather seasons:
    • plants have different resistences to snow, and will either die or stop growing if it gets too cold.
    • farm animals also have different resistences to snow and cold, and may die if left outdoors (no roof).
    • bee hives, rabbits and chickens will stop producing with harsher weather.
    • winter also impacts spawning... You'll see what we mean...
    • Seasons are configurable through xml file. This may be particularly interesting to server managers:
      • This file will be automatically created on first launch with default values in <savegamefolder>/Starvation.
      • after that you can edit it at will, enabling/disabling weather or creating your own weather season distribution, and restart the game/server.
      • You can see a default file example HERE.

[*]For additional info, you can check our Wiki

[*]Fixed survivors dup bug. Needs confirmation. Also, if a player is accessing a container, survivors wont be able to use it.

[*]survivors will eat from either a crafted fridge top or their own inventory.

[*]Fixed farm animals not eating and reproducing. Needs confirmation.

[*]It is now possible to check farm animals state and stats, by focusing and pressing <E>.

• if they return as not tamed, you will need to whip them, pick them up, and put them down again.

[*]Icy Farm Storage Boxes will now downgrade in time.

[*]for chicken coops and rabbit huches, you'll need at least 2 animals for reproducion to happen.

[*]added no ammo mod, orignally designed by Carlzilla and adapted by Xyth. You can now easly unload ammo from weapons (press and hold R)

[*]after some internal talk, we moved Honey receipts out of big oven, and back to Kitchen Table

[*]Bandits weapons headshot drastically reduced

[*]zombie bear pet is fixed

[*]added wellness gain to starvation canned food

I hope you guys have fun and enjoy this changes and, as always, keep us informed of problems, balancing issues or bugs. We'll get to them IF and WHEN possible, without overlooking our own fun!

IMPORTANT NOTE - PUBLIC SERVERS ARE UP!

PS2- Public Server repo is already updated

PS2 - Before applying this patch, you may want to delete animal files (*.anm) that are not used for some time.

Here's a preview of seasonal weahter(early version):

[video=youtube_share;K4ns0xLClRI]

Edited by Mortelentus (see edit history)

True but making light shafts to bedrock is lame - O !!! It's not as immersive as having a massive indoor farm to express your sustainability and "end game colony" feel.

Also temperature control.

Our last map we had a big garden at bedrock.

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxoxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

9 x 9 garden with 1 light shaft in the middle. sometimes stuff in the corners would grow, sometimes not, we'd just put mushrooms in the corners.. We'd place iron bards 6 deep at the top of the shaft surrounded by concrete walls, then every 10 blocks we'd put another iron bars.

If you want it even bigger than 9x9 ...

xxxxxxxxxoxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxoxxxxxxxxoxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxoxxxxxxxx

ext ext... light shafts arent so bad. :) We even made a room above the garden to house the water, we used shower glass over the light holes so the water wouldnt get in the way, and put a rain collector in it, and made an unobstructed rain shoot. so we never had to water the garden. :D

I whip them, they appear in my inventory, I place them, whip them again, inventory, place them again, and then what?

my apple tree looks like it is bearing apples, but I kept hitting it down to 300, and I got zero apple!

Are you waiting for the tree to say 40/40 hit points? Only then will it have fruit, and are you punching it with your barefists? if not you should.

CLIENT / SERVER 16.0.1.03

• winter temperatures are for now defined in a set of buffs, until a better way can be setup. The weather configuration is still valid for everything, but the temperatures for the different winter stages (1-5) need to be modified in the buffs (winter1 to winter5), in order to avoid speed extensive patching - WILL NEED AS MUCH FEEDBACK AS POSSIBLE ON THIS ONE
  • dogs should be working better, and eating properly. They shouldn't get stuck so often, but remember to "disown" (issue order 6) your dogs if you want to leave them breeding, since they'll behave better that way without constantly trying to reach you to play or ask for food. That shouldn't be mandatory though, with the new code.
  • farm animals and dogs shouldn't need a second taming action now. They should work as usual... If you still have animals returning "tamed=false", you still need to grab them.

@Morte I'm a little confused by the new changes to the weather system in 16.0.1.03 in the patch notes. I think you'll confused people if you mention 'buffs' and 'winter1 to 'winter5' when none of those keywords are in the 'StarvationWeather.xml' file. Before I updated to .03 I renamed .02's file. Upon entering my world in .03 a new 'StarvationWeather.xml' file was created. I compared 0.02's and 0.03's file and they were exactly the same. I'm assuming that you made changes to other file and/or code changes that we cannot see. I can tell because Season Type 3 in .03 is much milder than Season Type 3 in .02. In .02 during Type 3 weather my temperature kept fluctuating and eventually stayed at 0F which was annoying (and deadly). Anyways, I welcome these new weather changes so far and I think the new weather system is going in the right direction.

As for your patch notes I think I kinda understand what you're trying to say. You're saying the different seasons in the 'StarvationWeather.xml' file should be tested and given feedback. We should particular change settings like the 'TempModifier' for the different season types. Eg. Type 0 = Vanilla, 1 = Rare Rain, 2 = Common Rain, etc

Please confirm my understanding or if it isn't what I'm thinking please clarify.

Thanks.

@archo Make sure your plants have enough water and are not being destroyed due to rodents or insects. Also with these new weather changes, plants will take longer to grow when it's cold. I think at the colder temperatures they disappear. Eg. My small farm which was mature disappeared on me when i was at stage 5 (extremely cold) weather.

For taming. Whip them to 'tame' them. Then place on ground from the toolbelt. Move your cursor over them. Once you see a window to "Press E'" to examine. Press and hold "E". If they are not tamed, repeat the above until they are tamed. If they are tamed then you're all set. Of course they need food/water/enclosure from now on. Warning: Examine their health during 'E' so that they don't die when you whip them.

For apple trees you harvest them by hitting them with an empty fist. You can tell that it's time to harvest by looking at the tree trunks. They're usually very thick. Since you mentioned hitting it down to 300 then you were at the 2nd last stage where the apple tree has 600 hitpoints. Someone mentioned it before but the last stage (fruit stage) has 40/40 hitpoints. Once you've harvest a few fruit trees, you'll recognize the last stage of each fruit tree pretty easily. The last stage of the banana tree is the easiest to figure out.

[*]dogs should be working better, and eating properly. They shouldn't get stuck so often, but remember to "disown" (issue order 6) your dogs if you want to leave them breeding, since they'll behave better that way without constantly trying to reach you to play or ask for food. That shouldn't be mandatory though, with the new code.

[*]farm animals and dogs shouldn't need a second taming action now. They should work as usual... If you still have animals returning "tamed=false", you still need to grab them.

Dogs fixed, back to eat, awesome! I also mentioned about pigs not eating... now they are fixed too,

Fantastic! Thank you again Mortelentus!

'StarvationWeather.xml' file should be tested and given feedback. We should particular change settings like the 'TempModifier' for the different season types. Eg. Type 0 = Vanilla, 1 = Rare Rain, 2 = Common Rain, etc

Please confirm my understanding or if it isn't what I'm thinking please clarify.

Thanks.

What i was trying to say is that Starvationweather.xml is still valid, excpet for the temperature modifier. Temperature modifier is now directly tied to season stage (1 to 5). Each individual player / server can still manipulate those ttemperature values by changing the winter buffs in buffs.xml. what i need to know is if temperature is actually more manageable now (it seemed to be way more stable)

I'm glad to know this patch seems to have been an improvment both in terms of weather and animals.

Edited by Mortelentus (see edit history)

What i was trying to say is that Starvationweather.xml is still valid, excpet for the temperature modifier. Temperature modifier is now directly tied to season stage (1 to 5). Each individual player / server can still manipulate those ttemperature values by changing the winter buffs in buffs.xml. what i need to know is if temperature is actually more manageable now (it seemed to be way more stable)

I'm glad to know this patch seems to have been an improvment both in terms of weather and animals.

Wow I was totally off about the winter1 to winter5 values - they do exist but in another file. Thanks for the clarification. You didn't mention anything about a 'buffs.xml' file. You just said buffs and I thought it was some kind of element in the 'StarvationWeather.xml' file. I found 'Buffs.xml' in the '..\Data\Config' folder. When talking about design specifics you have to assume that no ones know about the filename/file structure of Starvation. So any/all information would be helpful.

Sorry if it seems like I'm nagging you. Just giving feedback/tips so that you won't be bombarded with questions like these. If someone has a question about something, it's more than likely that other people will be thinking of the same question.

As for my feedback. Season type 3 (with everything default) is definitely manageable in terms of temperature but I think the snow duration is very short and you get several snowfalls per day. Need more data from others though.

@archo Make sure your plants have enough water and are not being destroyed due to rodents or insects. Also with these new weather changes, plants will take longer to grow when it's cold. I think at the colder temperatures they disappear. Eg. My small farm which was mature disappeared on me when i was at stage 5 (extremely cold) weather.

For taming. Whip them to 'tame' them. Then place on ground from the toolbelt. Move your cursor over them. Once you see a window to "Press E'" to examine. Press and hold "E". If they are not tamed, repeat the above until they are tamed. If they are tamed then you're all set. Of course they need food/water/enclosure from now on. Warning: Examine their health during 'E' so that they don't die when you whip them.

For apple trees you harvest them by hitting them with an empty fist. You can tell that it's time to harvest by looking at the tree trunks. They're usually very thick. Since you mentioned hitting it down to 300 then you were at the 2nd last stage where the apple tree has 600 hitpoints. Someone mentioned it before but the last stage (fruit stage) has 40/40 hitpoints. Once you've harvest a few fruit trees, you'll recognize the last stage of each fruit tree pretty easily. The last stage of the banana tree is the easiest to figure out.

THANK YOU!

I finally figured out the farming stuff, but the husbandry stuff I would have NEVER thought of pressing E and holding it!

This should go in the wiki.

It turns out that the Wheat has some sort of time span it has to pass first before it starts growing.

Water, fertilizer and light was good. Well walled off. But after 2 days, THEN it started growing. Now everything is normal in growths.

It's possibly part of the design?

Edit:

How long do I keep pressing E? a minute? or is it a matter of seconds?

Edit 2:

If the status of the animal is supposed to change from "untouched", my taming isn't happening.

I whiped and placed the same animal 20 times. pressed and held E. Nothing. Stays the same.

They eat, and I can harvest them.

But that's it.

Edited by archonan
new info 2 (see edit history)

THANK YOU!

I finally figured out the farming stuff, but the husbandry stuff I would have NEVER thought of pressing E and holding it!

This should go in the wiki.

It turns out that the Wheat has some sort of time span it has to pass first before it starts growing.

Water, fertilizer and light was good. Well walled off. But after 2 days, THEN it started growing. Now everything is normal in growths.

It's possibly part of the design?

Edit:

How long do I keep pressing E? a minute? or is it a matter of seconds?

Edit 2:

If the status of the animal is supposed to change from "untouched", my taming isn't happening.

I whiped and placed the same animal 20 times. pressed and held E. Nothing. Stays the same.

They eat, and I can harvest them.

But that's it.

Seeing the '<E> ...Untouched' text is a good sign. When you press 'E' you'll see text appear at the upper left corner of your screen. It'll show the animals stats next to your name:

Eg.

PPanda421: Animal Stats: Health:50 Food Level:20 Pregnant:False Loyalty:20 Tamed=True

Look at the 'Tamed' value at the end. I usually just press and hold it for a few seconds. I think you can get away with just pressing it once but the animal moves around so much I just hold it. The important part is you must see the '<E> Search animal...' text when the cursor is over the animal before you press 'E'.

Different veggies have different growth stages/times I believe.

Eating means at least one of the animals is tamed.

Edit: Oops. Upper left corner, not upper right.

Edited by PPanda0421
More Info. Changed from upper right to upper left (see edit history)