A16 - STARVATION Mod for A16

Mortelentus

Does it spawn survivors under the ground?

It is connected to my grid, as you can see here: https://i.imgur.com/jlEf4eA.jpg

And here is my generator: https://i.imgur.com/lpewe78.jpg

My tower is at bedrock underground and it works. It spawns about a person a day or so. Maybe run an experiment in offline CREATIVE MODE and put a radio tower in a POI and one not in a POI and give it a test. Check for the light and make sure its working.

My tower is at bedrock underground and it works. It spawns about a person a day or so. Maybe run an experiment in offline CREATIVE MODE and put a radio tower in a POI and one not in a POI and give it a test. Check for the light and make sure its working.

Alright thanks! the light is working. As you can see here: https://imgur.com/a/B5lJ5

Does your radio tower hit any ceiling as in, it's light is blocked while underground?

Alright thanks! the light is working. As you can see here: https://imgur.com/a/B5lJ5

Does your radio tower hit any ceiling as in, it's light is blocked while underground?

The tower can go right through the ceiling and it should still work. Maybe you are just getting unlucky with your spawns. Again, I would try it out in a fresh single player map with creative mode and see if it works. You can rule out a lot of reasons by running an experiment.

... and NPCs look for food either inside their own inventory or in a 16 block radius...

Their own Inventory! This is the first time I hear about it and it opens a lot of new options here for placing. Is it spoilage-safe?

@carpediembr: do you spend some time close to the activated beacon? I noticed the crafting of the mechanic and smith will pause while the area isn't loaded. So maybe if you minibike in and out quickly, it doesn't have enough time to produce survivors.

Edited by Katlima (see edit history)

If it's not blinking, it does not have enough power.

I also had the same issue, hooked up the tower to the generator bank, turned it on, no blinking. However, it spawned plenty of survivors which was good but odd. Been working fine ever since.

I also had the same issue, hooked up the tower to the generator bank, turned it on, no blinking. However, it spawned plenty of survivors which was good but odd. Been working fine ever since.

I'll take a look when possible... I know energy has some problems when it's near a chunk frontier, not sure if that's the case for either of you.

NOTE TO EVERYONE - Farm animals were indeed bugged, but I think I fixed them. And here's another small tip to you guys, before next patch. Build some roofs for your farm animals.

Farm animals are being fixed, since the bug was finally identified.

1) some ranges are in xml, some are harcoded. I can tell you out of my head that plants look for water in a 7 block radius, and NPCs look for food either inside their own inventory or in a 16 block radius, give it or take it... It's a good idea not to have too many fridges near survivors, since they will look for the closest one, and it's harder to keep multiple fridges with the correct supplies... Also remember they don't need direct access to it, like the animals, so they may find one on a different room and try to use that one... I will review this procedure when possible.

2) there are a few way actually: find the farmer npc and finish the quest, be lucky enough to loot one (VERY rare and only drops on one place), or be lucky enough to get one on Pacco's slot machines. Quest can only be done once, but you can loot more then one... They are not currently breedable, but since Tormentedemu is making nice stuff with mounts, who knows :) maybe they'll get to be a lot more useful in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO EVERYONE: next patch will bring weather seasons. It will all be configurable via xml, so that server managers or individual players can opt out of it or configure their own season distribution. The patch is not far away, so I thought I would give a heads up to let you guys discuss that with your groups to make a decision before it drops.

16 blocks? I thought it was only 5 blocks? Hmm. We can win more than coins from the game room????

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I first wanted to say thanks for creating this mod. It really really really enhances vanilla. I have a few questions myself:

In reference to the post above about pigs, I too noticed that my goats reproduce but my pigs have never reproduced once. My chickens and rabbits eat food and drink water but my larger live stock (pigs and goats) do not eat or drink water.

I too have a couple questions question!

1) Is there an XML file for the mod or someplace I can somehow look at the code to kind of figure out what's actually going on? For example, I know the wiki has some basic info like what NPC's eat, but I am looking for really specific things like how many blocks away does an NPC eat from, and how far does water travel in dirt for farming, and how far do the repellents work. Just a lot of little questions on mechanics.

2) How do you get a donkey / mule?

Thanks!

On our MP game we found an NPC that looked like a bobby, and he gave us a quest to get a donkey. We found him in a random hose in a city.

Edited by PurgatoryWolf (see edit history)

We started getting this today on our server.

Parameter name: s

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

It's posting over and over. It posts this twice every 30 seconds.

also

2018-02-06T18:41:02 5739.924 WRN Player Archetype 'BuilderBobBoss' not found! Using Base UMA Archetype.

We started getting this today on our server.

It's posting over and over. It posts this twice every 30 seconds.

also

Thats probably from a player who has that archetype on their local game, and when the game saves the player data (every 30 secs) it reports the error.

'BuilderBobBoss' is not part of starvation and is not on any of our xmls, no idea where that comes from?

Other than starvation we run coppi, cbsm/envul, and battlemetrics. I only see that error once in a while. This one:

Parameter name: s

ArgumentNullException: Argument cannot be null.

Has me more concerned. I even see this one when no one is online. I'll pay more attention to who's online when I see the builderboss one again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats probably from a player who has that archetype on their local game, and when the game saves the player data (every 30 secs) it reports the error.

What do you mean, on their local game?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh no, quick, build roofs. The UFOs are on their way to tractor beam up your cows!

"Screw you guys, I'm goin' home...." LOL

-----

Also, I still can't get these "quests" people are talking about, like the one that's part of the "Freaking legolas" chain.. Our players tell me they just automatically get them. Not sure what I might be doing wrong? Our players also report that their game freaks out when they hit this step of the game, but ONLY if it becomes their active tracked quest.

We also still have no access to bees. I see them in my local files, so I think if I played a solo game they would be there, but they are not in our MP game.

Well, in all honesty I cannot help you more, because I'm lost... Bees are working in MP and SP, we have a lot of confirmations about that (producing honey stuff, and honey items are usable). I never saw any constant nullref error, nor was it reported by anyone else. That UMA reference does not belong to any of our xmls.... No idea about the quests... Auto quests are not activated yet, and most other quests are chained, so they only come up if you do the beginning quests first. There are some bugged quests, some will be addressed on the next patch (which is very close)

I'm almost certain that none of those server side mods conflict in anyway with anything starvation related either, so I don't see them as a problem... But I don't have them all installed on my test environment.

Since none of those problems you're referencing is a common problem, nor can I reproduce them, there's not much else I can do... Don't get me wrong, I would help if I could, but I can't also chase something that your group is experiencing but we got no other reports nor can we reproduce.

The new patch is close though, so there is that, but there's no guarantee it will solve any of those (animals are fixed, as well as some quests), so you guys should even try a few things on your own... Clean server setup, some outputlog extensive analysis, I dunno :( Maybe someone better at actually debugging this stuff can step in :(

Edited by Mortelentus (see edit history)

I appreciate everything you guys are doing. Right now I don't see the boss error, I will look for it to see if it's connected to a player. The other line of text is just scrolling even if no one is online. I'm not sure what triggered it, it just started happening yesterday morning. It doesn't seem to be effecting game play tho. I'll talk to the owner some more later this evening when he gets home to see if we can figure it out.

I don't know why we're having the Bees problem. According to the server, we're on most recent release. Perhaps once the new patch rolls out, and we get updated, It might fix everything in one swoop.

Our owner is still learning this Mod, so he's having a hard time knowing what to expect from things, and where to look for others. :)

thank you for the quick responses. :) I will try to hold further questions until the patch rolls out. :)

Sounds like a boss out of War of the Walkers.

You are correct. I found the player this error is linked to, and he confirmed. I don't think it's causing and server problems, other then the error posting. :)

--------------------------------------

So, i'm not sure if its caused by this mystery error or not, but it's happened at the same time. In our game, the week is repeating. It seems to be repeating the week. It goes to 890's then before horde night happens suddenly it's 887. an interesting issue. :strawberry:

-----

Here is a paste Bin of my output for today.. I dont see the error in the output that im seeing in battlemetrics, so im not sure whats up there... but out days are stille looping, plus the farmer's error when i talked to her should be in here too. thought you might see something i dont?

https://pastebin.com/mS5cnjg0

Morte, I was able to get survivors on my camp. We restarted the server and BOOM.. survivors everywhere!

As of suggestions:

- Central Bank: Add some kind of vault that will act as a centralized bank for your character. You will be able to retrieve the items from any of the "centralized bank" vault. These vault could be found on "bank" POIs and on most of the traders. To be able to access on traders, you will have to complete several quests and at the end of the chain quest you will receive one that cannot be relocated.

- Meditation: Increase wellness over time, very slowly.

- Avocado and dates do not have any recipes.

Avocado and Dates seem to be a kind of low-tier fruit in this game. They are not rare and not only have no recipes, they give less wellness or no hydration in case of date. While I agree with the concept of not having all fruits of the same usefulness and rarity, especially in a game like this which isn't farmville, it's a zombie shooter after all, I'm a bit confused about the choice to make avocado of all things eaten only raw and unprepared.

Centralized Bank: it's called shopping basket on your minibike. As much as I can see the usefulness of a wow-type bank like you describe or maybe an ender chest, it might be just too convenient and counter too many challenges in the game so it hurts more, than it helps. Me personally would find it breaks the realism a bit too much too, even though I accept a lot of other realism breaking as a welcome genuine game element.

Edited by Katlima (see edit history)

Avocado and Dates seem to be a kind of low-tier fruit in this game. They are not rare and not only have no recipes, they give less wellness or no hydration in case of date. While I agree with the concept of not having all fruits of the same usefulness and rarity, especially in a game like this which isn't farmville, it's a zombie shooter after all, I'm a bit confused about the choice to make avocado of all things eaten only raw and unprepared.

Centralized Bank: it's called shopping basket on your minibike. As much as I can see the usefulness of a wow-type bank like you describe or maybe an ender chest, it might be just too convenient and counter too many challenges in the game so it hurts more, than it helps. Me personally would find it breaks the realism a bit too much too, even though I accept a lot of other realism breaking as a welcome genuine game element.

Personally not a fan of central back either... Would much rather have something like Halicopper or, even better, have donkey be able to have some "automation" to carry stuff back and forth.

As for food, Pam has an extensive tweak in her mind, but she has been a bit busy lately... If i understood well, the idea is making food a lot more important, through manipulation of different player stats that will impact general player efficiency, thus making having a diverse diet all-in-all more useful and attractive.

Agree. You can make many things with avocados. However with the current ingredients in starvation mod I recommend the vietnamese dessert called 'Sinh tố bơ' which is an avocado smoothie/shake:

Ingredients:

avocados

sugar

milk (actually condensed milk but only milk exists in Starvation)

Tool: Blender

Agree a chest that can be accessed anywhere in the world (like the ender chest) doesn't fit in this game.

While on the topic of foods. The debuffs in 'bad foods' make them useless to craft. The bad foods eventually cause you to lose wellness, which is important early on. So no one is going to make them early game. Eg. If it takes me 2-3 days to gain 5 wellness, why would I eat a bad food which can cause me to lose 4-5 wellness in 3-4 hours? By mid and end game, you'll eventually be able to make the good food. By then there's no point making the bad food anymore. Suggest either reduce the penalties for 'bad food' or remove the penalties altogether.