[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

melee god

Guys we got some cool crap coming. All you guys who are like "We dont need guns . I'm god of melee" will soon be scrambling to arm up. Be Prepaired! :) (and no we are not touching or nerfing melee)

I may be a melee god, I just haven't found enough guns :p

I'm excited for the new horde style I hope I can adapt my horde play to it. I personally think the hordes are set perfectly to a melee fight. But I am in the minority as fighting them like that. But I think I can adapt if they are certain sets of waves... I guess we will see.

A thought. May be a ( and I havn't started a new game in a bit) pop up at the beginning that talks about how you should try to forget much of what you know about 7d2d. try to take in this new way of surviving.

Does fast run only work for players? Was on server once that had buff on road to use a fast run buff but it also worked on zombies.

Unlike the previous versions, in this current version it affects only players.

[thumbs up smiley]

xyth,

Stacking hayblocks to hide only works if you don´t have any zombies already hunting you. Like I said, I got hunted seconds after spawn. So this is by all means no problem solver in such chases. Because you get chased before even having the materials to craft a haybale. A zombies sees you, starts hunting you, and you have no other option in early game without a weapon as to run. While running, you will atract more zombies. Even if you loose the first ones, there will always be new ones behind you. And if you are lucky and find a npc with shotgun on the way, the fire will atract additional zombies. So you end up with more zombies following you then before. This alone is not so bad, you can just keep running. But to find a proper shelter with all that zombies behind you and no way to defend yourself is almost not doable.

Now, even if you make it under that circumstances up to an gasstation and even if you manage to craft a club and axe on the way you still have the problem to kill them. If you try to lure them away and you get runners or a zombie like the baby zombie (aka cloned screamer) and that risk is high then you are done. If you try to kill them all by yourself you will fail too, because clubs take longer to craft then to break. You also can bet your a s s that you will run into new zombies on the way back to the gasstation if you should manage to lure them away.

But for gods sake lets say you are on top of the gasstation. You didn´t die so far. What then? Its nighttime. You sit on the roof you are starving to death, because there will be a lot of new zombies spawing around the station and they will climb up the ladder as soon as they sense you. So you can´t go down. You sit on top of a building, your out of everything, can´t even make a bedroll, because you used everything for making clubs. Everything you can do is to die and start over and after that start over again.

What I try to say is: this mod makes the game about run around and club zombie heads all day. I am missing the true surival aspect here. Running from zombies all day long isn´t a challenge. Its an annoyance, at least for me.

True survival offers so much. If I look at all the new car modells and the workstations and the reworked skillsystem. I really into that part of the mod. But as long as the only hc aspect of the mod is to run and smash zombie heads, the rest doesn´t come to life. And thats a shame.

But like I said before. Its your mod. And you have to be happy with the outcome, not me.

Sellsents,

I hate saying this, but I don't think this mod is for you. I've had none of the problems you are describing in solo games, and none of the players on my private servers have had a whole lot of difficultly getting started once we adapted our methods to the mod changes.

The very fact you mentioned leaving the road because you can't get away from the zombies tells me you are doing it totally wrong. Roads give the player a run speed buff that the zombies/animals do not get. That road is literally a "get out of death free" card for the first few days. As long as you know how to properly manage your stamina (run/walk in cycles to maintain an emergency reserve), NOTHING can catch you. You just keep doing that until you break free of any packs following you because there are always gaps in the zombie biome spawning.

Once you actually manage to create a couple of clubs (need to make 4-5 at a time in the beginning), the road becomes your best weapon. My friends and have developed a technique we call "road jousting" where we use the run speed buff to run through groups of zombies (bashing them on the head as we pass). Once on the far side we turn around and shoot bows at them until they get close, then joust through them again.

As long as you know what is behind you, even the bears can be kited down the road virtually risk free.

If you are having such a hard time with the mod, then you should just move on to another mod because the last thing most of us want from "Team No-Survival" (my nickname for Spider + company) is for things to get EASIER. On my current server we are on day 7 and only 1 of us have died. His official reason for death was "I got cocky and I paid for it".

A thought. May be a ( and I havn't started a new game in a bit) pop up at the beginning that talks about how you should try to forget much of what you know about 7d2d. try to take in this new way of surviving.

Yes, this should be posted in big letters, but not in a beginning pop up. When you start the game the first time you don't have time to read things, especially for people who have trouble with 'safe zone'. My first wish when starting a new game is to close all pop ups (sorry Spider) and look around to see if I am in an immediate danger or not. So maybe post this in this thread first page.

The gas station is a great starter POI, but as you said you are likely to meet some zombies around it. Just run around the gas station, dodging and pausing until you get the zombies in a pack and following you away from the gas station. When far enough away, use the road to fast run until you can hide and break the hunting, Then sneak back to the POI and climb on top. The same strategy works for houses in the woods.

Now THAT is a legit survival strategy.

Few questions for those out there that are further down the abilities trail then I

(known) Roads allow players to run faster

Q1: Can player create asphalt

Q2: If Q1=true, does player made asphalt inherit same values (run faster)

Q3: Is there a block type players can create that does inherit (run faster) perk/buff/function

Thanks.

Few questions for those out there that are further down the abilities trail then I

(known) Roads allow players to run faster

Q1: Can player create asphalt

Q2: If Q1=true, does player made asphalt inherit same values (run faster)

Q3: Is there a block type players can create that does inherit (run faster) perk/buff/function

Thanks.

1) yes

2) yes

3) yes see 1

@unlike them-

Yes the starting text needs redone. I have been thinking on it.

shanky,

I never said the mod is for me or that it has to change necessarly. I saw skippy starting a new lp with spiders mod and thought it could be one for me and so I tried it out.

I wrote my experience with the mod and what I think personally about it, along with some ideas how the penalty system could be improved. Nothing more and nothing less.

If you feel offended by what I wrote I am not responsible for it.

And by the way. I did get a road buff but so did the zombies. Bug? I don´t now. But what I know is that I was running out of stamina, while followed by two runners and one pukie. Thats why I left the road. I thought I could slow them down in the woods and also find a shelter. I got lost their and it wasn´t working as I was expecting it. That doesn´t made it anyones fault. Its just something that happens while you play, specially if you are new to a mod and try to adjust. But to tell people they are noobs just because they don´t play the game the exact way the owner wants it. How polite is that?

And of course its always easier to tell people to not play a mode, then deal with any kind of problems people might have with it.

Happy gaming!

2 bugs:

- When assembling a chainsaw (didn't try an auger), you can put inside a 'not complete' engine, with a part missing. And the chainsaw works, and it has no degradation. When using a normal engine, it degrades normally.

- A player reports he found an 'npcak-47' from a bandit, and of course it has unlimited ammo. I think it is not supposed to drop in loot.

So i'm trying to test things slowly so i don't have more unwanted surprises and i'm seeing some weird things on creative.

-I can't upgrade concrete to it's second concrete layer. Tried almost every tool and it displays the 'lacking concrete' symbol when i do have it. Same with rebar frames it lets me do the wood upgrade only. What am i doing wrong here?

-Stone drill with diamond point can't damage metal when i read it should?

-If you quit the opening sequence of a mini-bike box it will drop at least twice the content, similar to the fuel station thing.

-I saw not even big gorilla bosses can damage steel buildings. But i guess you know that and already planing something terrible for us huhu

-Also spawned a few zombies to see how many i can handle without massive fps drops and i'd say when i had more than 20-25 it was like twice as slow as normally. If they are not right in front of me i had almost normal fps with about 50 of them

Question about Minibike handlebars and Crafted generator

Hey guys, I am having a blast playing singleplayer / coop True Survival :), playing on recommended settings and all that, but for some reason, I am not able to craft Minibike Handlebars anywhere. Basic crafting in inventory doesnt work, wood work bench doesnt let me craft, Anvil doesnt let me craft, Armor table doesnt let me craft... And when I try to get metal work bench working, I have no clue how POWER ON Crafted Generator. How is Crafted Generator supposed to work? I have put gas in it, but I dont know how to switch it on.

Last thing I am missing are those damn Minibike handlebars and I cant craft them :'(.

PS: I have read the minibike book "Minibike for dumbsh*ts".

Any tips or tricks or clues what is going on?

I am on day 30 now.

Cheers! :)

Hi there! did you also read the handlebar recipe? I had that same issue a while ago :p

About the generator you have to put gas in, then put some power lines to the final destination. Fuse boxes seem to increase the power.

Hope it helps!

I can't upgrade concrete to it's second concrete layer. Tried almost every tool and it displays the 'lacking concrete' symbol when i do have it. Same with rebar frames it lets me do the wood upgrade only. What am i doing wrong here?

take concrete mix in hand and use it as a tool

Response

Hi there! did you also read the handlebar recipe? I had that same issue a while ago :p

About the generator you have to put gas in, then put some power lines to the final destination. Fuse boxes seem to increase the power.

Hope it helps!

Hey Vic! :)

Yes I've read the Handlebars schematic - here is screenshot how it looks like after reading Minibike schematic + Handlebars schematic (LINK: http://imgur.com/uygsU6k ) :) - the icon on Minibike Handlebars is white (I am able to craft it), but I dont know where to craft it.

We think the nerd pole fix is broken somehow. It was working and now its not and I don't see where the files have changed. Its not effecting game play, you can just still nerd pole at the min. Jeo will check the .dll and figure out whats what when he has time. Until then enjoy and savor your nerd poling.

The Gods have spoken. Hah! Jk. Actually, I've been playing with out jump placing (or at least trying to) for all you anti-acrobats!

Yes I've read the Handlebars schematic - here is screenshot how it looks like after reading Minibike schematic + Handlebars schematic (LINK: http://imgur.com/uygsU6k ) :) - the icon on Minibike Handlebars is white (I am able to craft it), but I dont know where to craft it.

Your on the right workbench, just seem to be missing the needed wrench slotted in that workbench.

xyth,

True survival offers so much. If I look at all the new car modells and the workstations and the reworked skillsystem. I really into that part of the mod. But as long as the only hc aspect of the mod is to run and smash zombie heads, the rest doesn´t come to life. And thats a shame.

But like I said before. Its your mod. And you have to be happy with the outcome, not me.

I do appreciate your input. I do hear what you are saying. However, I have probably played day 1 about 50+ times, as I do a lot of testing as part of this team. I do not consider myself an elite gamer, I was born way to long ago and my brain only started getting wired for video gaming when pong was introduced. So at best I'm an average player in the mod.

That said, I have always been able to run away from zombies, hide, and resume my survival business without problems. If you keep attracting more zombies as you execute your escape, then mastering the great escape is a learn-able skill. When I first played this mod I died a lot. A lot. Now I almost never die, and when I do its my carelessness or hubris that is the reason, not game mechanics. You can master this mod if you have patience and can accept that dying is part of the learning process on this mod. That is by design. If it was easy to master the first time you loaded up the mod, then how would it be possible to challenge the experienced users?

Thanks for trying True Survival. We accept the mod is not for everyone. But there are plenty of easier mods out there, and no other that offers the challenge many of us crave. I hope you come back and try this mod again someday. Cheers!

Response

Alright I got it working after some struggle! :) My bad, sorry, I have figured it out - Generator + gas + click on " lock icon " -> metal work bench and it works!! Thx tho!

I think what I'm slowing learning is that in TS you need to use the better weapons.

I have around 2200 hours of game time from vanilla, valmod and TS and never once did I ever use firearms (actually I did use the blunderbuss a few times).

The reason was simple - I never needed more that a bow and club to survive even in the later stages of the game.

In the new TS this is not the case, things move too fast or take too long to kill to use these weapons past a few days (though you may have no choice).

You should be scared just using bow and club now.

I've never played a class that started with a firearm but I may start doing so. Starting with firearms may soon equal starting with the wrench in importance.

Archived