[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

Thanks for the fast and timely update Spider. Now the only big one (for me) left is flashlight not working on my crossbow. But that's probably not a high priority fix tbh.

Hey Spider, do you have a method for accepting Donations? You've really made me enjoy this game again and for how many hours I'm getting out of it, least I can do is help out a little. I would also encourage anyone else who is loving this mod to donate!

EDIT: Found the donation link: http://www.paypal.me/JohnZidar

@xyth-

-There is no "Quest_Basicsurvial26_Desc" in the file could you check that info for me

- You can make things in a forge before you can make a forge

My bad its 20 not 26

Here is the problem: Note typos

quest_BasicSurvival20,,Quest Info,,Basic Survival 20/21,,

quest_BasicSurvival720_subtitle,,Quest Info,,Craft hay bales,,

quest_BasicSurvival720_description,,Quest Info,,"Why on earth

I noticed the mini bike headlight can be toggled on and off now? Its way to bright i think...maybe not really drove around but WOW its bright!

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen any of those bugs he's describing, myself. I think it is related to the graphics settings, because he has everything pushed to insanity levels.

Exactly what i was going to say.

Smelting brass doorknobs gives more brass than they cost to make.

Getting to misc 20 is much harder now, which is needed to attach flashlights to helmets, suggest changing that requirement or maybe increasing misc crafting xp.

Also, 2x harvesting as a thing is ridiculous. With level 100 hunting, 2x harvesting and a field knife one stag gives 70 meat, 11 hooves and 10 sinew. Is this the expected results?

I agree that the FIELD knife with high hunting skill gives quite a few resources... but again, you've put in the effort to gain that much skill.

On the other hand, with low hunting and with a HUNTING knife, it can be quite difficult to get sinew or other rarer parts. I think keeping Shiv the same, tuning UP Hunting Knife by 20% or so, and tuning DOWN Field Knife 20% or so would be a good balance. Thoughts?

EDIT: A stag has never given me anywhere near 70 meat. A Croc or Bear gives almost that much, maybe 50. Using Lvl 514 Field Knife with nearly maxed Hunting skill.

Suggestion for edit for description of Misc Crafting, Primitive Crafting, Journeyman Crafting, and Master Crafting. (This has confused a lot of us on the server for a while)

Currently says: Gain skill by crafting and repairing items from this group.

Change to:

Primitive Crafting: Gain skill by crafting and repairing items using Claw Hammer

Journeyman Crafting: Gain skill by crafting and repairing items using Wrench

Master Crafting: Gain skill by crafting and repairing items using Nailgun, Auger, Chainsaw, etc

Engineering: Something about the screwdriver? I'm still confused here.

Misc Crafting: Still not sure how this one works

I've done some research and can't find a fix for the current issue. I'm getting the blocks.xml "paprika" error that some people have had in the past. I looked for an SDX folder to delete the txt file that was mentioned but I have neither. I tried running the launcher and game exe as administrator and that didn't help. I did a manual install of the mod via copying my game directory and unzipping the files. That allowed me further into the game but I still got an asset load error. I'm at a loss of what to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Launcher log file: http://pastebin.com/bpW8ZH5S

Game log file: http://pastebin.com/9Yjv8vkq

One other thing. It is FAR more resource efficient to never repair your tools, but instead craft new ones. For example, to repair my Iron Pick it cost 8 Short Iron Pipes (1 Forged Iron ea.) so that's 8x40=320 Iron to repair my Iron Pick.

On the other hand, I could just craft a new one for 100 Iron.

Not sure if this is intended or not, but wanted to bring it to your attention.

I agree that the FIELD knife with high hunting skill gives quite a few resources... but again, you've put in the effort to gain that much skill.

On the other hand, with low hunting and with a HUNTING knife, it can be quite difficult to get sinew or other rarer parts. I think keeping Shiv the same, tuning UP Hunting Knife by 20% or so, and tuning DOWN Field Knife 20% or so would be a good balance. Thoughts?

EDIT: A stag has never given me anywhere near 70 meat. A Croc or Bear gives almost that much, maybe 50. Using Lvl 514 Field Knife with nearly maxed Hunting skill.

Imagine you are playing a class that gets x2 harvesting, like mechanic or metal worker, then you get to 70 no problem.

Imagine you are playing a class that gets x2 harvesting, like mechanic or metal worker, then you get to 70 no problem.

I guess each class gets their own perks. I just was responding because I felt like gathering those rar(er) resources like Sinew was very difficult at lower-mid levels, and didn't want it nerfed even harder for the newbs. I get your point though.

I guess each class gets their own perks. I just was responding because I felt like gathering those rar(er) resources like Sinew was very difficult at lower-mid levels, and didn't want it nerfed even harder for the newbs. I get your point though.

Yeah, that wasn't what I was trying to point out either. I fought against the impossible to get sinew for a while and since then sinew needs have been cut in half, just wanted to show that the amount of stuff you get from higher levels is crazy. Field knife I think needs to be nerfed a bit, especially the experience gained from using it.

Also, how, exactly, is the compactdriver made? Can't seem to find the parts to build it, and can't find them in the drop tables anywhere.

The crossbow is created using the primitive crafting skill, but repaired using journeyman crafting.

Can hubcaps just be a possible drop from a car instead of 4 guaranteed?

Finally, is there a good way to level engineering? Upgrading blocks and wrenching ♥♥♥♥ apart gives crafting xp now. Seems like making tallow in a chem station (not a fire) and making candles seem to really be the only ways? I guess maybe also making juice in a backpack?

Finally, is there a good way to level engineering? Upgrading blocks and wrenching ♥♥♥♥ apart gives crafting xp now. Seems like making tallow in a chem station (not a fire) and making candles seem to really be the only ways? I guess maybe also making juice in a backpack?

Also boiling water, making coal in the burn barrel, crafting some workstations, and making lights. It's very technical stuff.

@Spider: This is why people are saying that the Antidote is too hard to craft. Engineering requirement of 10, minimum, to take the perk to craft Grain Alcohol, thereby get access to the Still. And that stuff is only dropped from pretty nasty monsters or nigh impossible drops from loot containers that are empty a third of the time and found most often at POIs that spawn the most often in cities. So all this together means that 9 times out of 10 for a low to mid level character you're as good as dead in three days, and looking for the resources to actually craft the antidote means you're dead 99 out of 100 times unless you have a gun and tons of ammo.

Maybe the trader could have a decent chance of selling some grain alcohol on the cheap, or having a still as a workbench? That would be something. You'd be exposing yourself to a moderate amount of risk trying to get to a trader and hoping they actually have it, but it would make getting poisoned less of a death sentence.

So all this together means that 9 times out of 10 for a low to mid level character you're as good as dead in three days, and looking for the resources to actually craft the antidote means you're dead 99 out of 100 times unless you have a gun and tons of ammo.

Hi There. First time poster, long time (3200+hrs) player & loving True Survival. As a suggestion, is an antidote necessary? Many animal toxins are not fatal. What if after a series of progressively worsening symptoms, you start to feel better again? Antidotes help if found/crafted but if not, its not fatal in its own right (if you take silly risks while sick though...)

Also, Farmer quest notes seems to give a nre.

Keep up the great work Spider and fellow collaborators.

Also boiling water, making coal in the burn barrel, crafting some workstations, and making lights. It's very technical stuff.

@Spider: This is why people are saying that the Antidote is too hard to craft. Engineering requirement of 10, minimum, to take the perk to craft Grain Alcohol, thereby get access to the Still. And that stuff is only dropped from pretty nasty monsters or nigh impossible drops from loot containers that are empty a third of the time and found most often at POIs that spawn the most often in cities. So all this together means that 9 times out of 10 for a low to mid level character you're as good as dead in three days, and looking for the resources to actually craft the antidote means you're dead 99 out of 100 times unless you have a gun and tons of ammo.

Maybe the trader could have a decent chance of selling some grain alcohol on the cheap, or having a still as a workbench? That would be something. You'd be exposing yourself to a moderate amount of risk trying to get to a trader and hoping they actually have it, but it would make getting poisoned less of a death sentence.

Does watching water boil in the campfire give engineering? Most of the xp that was received from using the campfire has been removed, but I didn't check through the .xml super thoroughly. As a direct reply to the antidote issue, grain alcohol can be dropped from nurse zombies, but other than that, you are spot on - poison is a death sentence. I don't mind the alcohol / still / antidote issue nearly as much as mobile spotlight requiring level 50 engineering...am I supposed to watch coal burn in a barrel for 50 levels? Using the wrench to disassemble things should give engineering XP and using the wrench (or other construction tools) can certainly continue to give crafting XP.

Speaking of crafting station, placing a found generator, then wrenching it apart to move it gives scrap iron, the generator, and another generator (this was with a class giving 2x harvesting, haven't checked with a 1x harvesting class).

@Spider - Regarding poison, I think rather than making curing poison easier, consider making the effect duration per phase and negative effect rate much longer. Playing with manageable handicaps makes things much more interesting and have something else to always be searching for besides loot and food. I'd change food poisoning, dysentery etc. the same way. Also, lower %chance on foods causing ill effects to reasonable chances. 50% chance of food poisoning on raw eggs? Make it 5% and tempt me to try it. Change curing teas to add a health/stamina recovery rate buff to offset negative rate buffs of diseases rather than curing them. So I eat and egg, get food poisoning, then have to drink tea the whole time I am poisoned to offset the negative effects or I have to live with the disability until it times out. No cures, just management till timeout. Only failure to "manage" the disease through appropriate med or tea would progress to a death risk stage.

Insta-cures are boring.

Mod Update

Server and Player File update (xml only)

Lowered NPC wilderness spawns greatly, they should be much rarer.

Adjusted Car loot

Added True Survival Mod Notes check your journals-

I assume everyone that plays my mod is not a first time player and knows the vanilla game so I am going to be hijacking all the vanilla journal notes and use them to explain mod mechanics and features. Please read what I have added and let me know any confusing part of the mod that it would be helpful to have explained to new players. Thanks

Archived