[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

We had done this a few times. Not really sure what had been happening. We had him not install in a custom location. Each time re-validate always came back clean. He had everything exactly the same as we do. It was odd to say the least. Was about to give up last night we did it one move time for the hell of it. Exactly the same again re-validated again same steps same everything nothing changed. This time it worked.

Now having worked in IT for over 20 years I can say say stupid computers. This is a new computer it's clean I think TS is the only mod at this time with 7D2D one of two Steam games on right now. His system is two weeks older than mine right now and has not had time to really mess with it. It was just buggy weirdness.

As well all is good now thanks sphereii not sure why on the 8th try it worked, but we will not worry toomuch on that. :very_drunk:

It certainly is strange. One thing that validating the steam install does not do, is clear out files that do not belong. So while it'll fix loot.xml, it will not fix any additional files the mod copies in. If he had extra prefabs in, they would still exist in the steam folder, even after a validate. The rwgmixer.xml won't reference them, but they would still exist none-the-less.

Very Strange:

I started a new game and ended the day inside a building (mansion with a pool and stone fence).

I had alt tabbed out because it was going to take 20 minutes to craft sticks when I heard a thud from the game.

I tabbed back and I was back to level 1 (from 2 or 3) was in the middle of a forest all my equipment was gone, the class recipe book was back in my inventory and I no longer had a sleeping bag at the mansion.

Each time I logged out and back in I was in a slightly different location

The only thing the was correct was the time and the day.

Very Strange:

I started a new game and ended the day inside a building (mansion with a pool and stone fence).

I had alt tabbed out because it was going to take 20 minutes to craft sticks when I heard a thud from the game.

I tabbed back and I was back to level 1 (from 2 or 3) was in the middle of a forest all my equipment was gone, the class recipe book was back in my inventory and I no longer had a sleeping bag at the mansion.

Each time I logged out and back in I was in a slightly different location

The only thing the was correct was the time and the day.

If you can host that savegame folder somewhere and send me a link to it, that would help in debugging. My biggest problem with debugging this issue is that I have yet to experience a game corruption no matter how many times I have tried to force one.

If you can host that savegame folder somewhere and send me a link to it, that would help in debugging. My biggest problem with debugging this issue is that I have yet to experience a game corruption no matter how many times I have tried to force one.

Have you tried the alt-tab, and leave the game to idle? I've seen people mention that a few times.

Have you tried the alt-tab, and leave the game to idle? I've seen people mention that a few times.

I will do that. I generally don't do that often, as I have had it cause issues like losing sound in even vanilla.

I will do that. I generally don't do that often, as I have had it cause issues like losing sound in even vanilla.

Losing sounds, and potential saves and worlds =D

If I had to guess, alt-tabing would cause windows to somewhat pause the game's threads, and cause the writing to be all wonky when it does a persist save. Windows isn't a multi-tasking OS, but rather just a multi-switching OS.

I agree that neither the problem, nor the steps to produce the problem (alt-tab) should happen...

I install the mod on my server and I use the mod launcher, everything working fine, but if you push update on mod launcher, I should also push the update on my server, right ? How can I do that ? (im using gameserver.com)

Ok got some more group work.

Read carefully and answer in as much detail as u can mustard.

For every quality Tool or Weapon (not including Gun Smithing) how many of that item should you need to craft to get to quality 600? Or should you gain most of your xp by repairing the items instead of crafting them? So if we should get the lions share of crafting xp by crafting the items how many Stoneaxes should you need to craft to make a level 600 quality Stoneaxe. This will also limit the end game xp on early game items. So this should stop a player grinding Stoneaxes at player level 74 to try and get to lv75.

Quick question regarding running my own dedicated server. Because I'm the host, and As the server creates the save folder on my computer am I safe to load it up from the continue game option with the sever running or do I have to connect to server in game?

20 stones for a stone knife seems a bit steep.

Losing sounds, and potential saves and worlds =D

If I had to guess, alt-tabing would cause windows to somewhat pause the game's threads, and cause the writing to be all wonky when it does a persist save. Windows isn't a multi-tasking OS, but rather just a multi-switching OS.

I agree that neither the problem, nor the steps to produce the problem (alt-tab) should happen...

Thanks for this suggestion! I was able to reliably obtain a corrupt save that resets with this method. So now I could test.

Testing: I tried alt-tabing while game was paused and while it was running. Did that for a while then exited game. Loaded that save and it reset my character. Exited and reloaded same save, different reset location. That save reset to a new located every-time it loaded. I now have a stable "corrupt savegame.

Next, swapped out the assembly-Csharp.dll to the one I asked folks to test. Loaded the "corrupt" savegame and it loaded without a reset. Tested several times and it never reset on loading.

Next , tried alt tabbing like I did in step 1, but this time with the test DLL still installed. Alt tabbed as before, both paused and running, waited 5 minutes or more between alt-tabing, then exited the game and reloaded. No reset. Retried same several more times, with followers around and not, built a base, ran the forge, etc. No resets.

I would still like more confirmation, but the evidence is pointing strongly that its related to the DLL changes following the one I posted.

Thanks for this suggestion! I was able to reliably obtain a corrupt save that resets with this method. So now I could test.

Testing: I tried alt-tabing while game was paused and while it was running. Did that for a while then exited game. Loaded that save and it reset my character. Exited and reloaded same save, different reset location. That save reset to a new located every-time it loaded. I now have a stable "corrupt savegame.

Next, swapped out the assembly-Csharp.dll to the one I asked folks to test. Loaded the "corrupt" savegame and it loaded without a reset. Tested several times and it never reset on loading.

Next , tried alt tabbing like I did in step 1, but this time with the test DLL still installed. Alt tabbed as before, both paused and running, waited 5 minutes or more between alt-tabing, then exited the game and reloaded. No reset. Retried same several more times, with followers around and not, built a base, ran the forge, etc. No resets.

I would still like more confirmation, but the evidence is pointing strongly that its related to the DLL changes following the one I posted.

Excellent work.

So newer versions of the DLL seem to cause the issue more so than older versions of the DLL. I won't say that it's the cause, or that the problem just started with the later changes.

Jeoshua will have to review all his changes from the last known 'stable' DLL, and see which one would have a problem with threads or pausing.

It'd be nice to discover the actual cause, because I'm sure it's in the vanilla game as well (just not as pronounced).

It'd be nice if a reset chunk or player reset would be logged in vanilla. There could be chunk resets all the time, as you've mentioned before, that we just don't see. Player resets are more unusual, I think.

I have two questions (not related to the save resets) if anyone knows a way to disable the run-in-shadows part of the mod. It's driving me and my friends nuts since it seems so buggy. Zombies should not run :p

And apples. How to get apples from the trees? Only gotten them down by chopping the whole tree down, that can't be right?

Also. there is a few recipes for the workworkBench, causing them to not be craftable, since it seems to be called workworkbench with a lowercase b, and no recipe to craft the key to open a suitcase crafted from 20 proffessionpages.

/ Holo

I have two questions (not related to the save resets) if anyone knows a way to disable the run-in-shadows part of the mod. It's driving me and my friends nuts since it seems so buggy. Zombies should not run :p

And apples. How to get apples from the trees? Only gotten them down by chopping the whole tree down, that can't be right?

Also. there is a few recipes for the workworkBench, causing them to not be craftable, since it seems to be called workworkbench with a lowercase b, and no recipe to craft the key to open a suitcase crafted from 20 proffessionpages.

/ Holo

No, I doubt there is a good way to edit that feature out without issues. All the zombies are configured to call a new class that enables this. You would at least have to edit every zombie to use the original class, but how that would impact the rest of the mod is unknown without extensive testing.

You chop the apple tree down to get apples in the current implementation. That may change in the A16 version.

The workworkbench typo will be fixed (again) in the next patch. Not sure how that keeps slipping back in but with just one person (me) editing the sdx version it should not happen again.

I think you just punch that suitcase to open it, I don't think you need a key.

Experienced a player+base reset after; I was trying to recover my backpack but it wasn't visible while compass icon is showing. So I go to creative mode and fly to check the bag in air or underground, but not worked. Finally I added my lost items manually from creative menu and turned it off. After 3-5 game hours, reset happened maybe related to these actions maybe not dont know.

No, I doubt there is a good way to edit that feature out without issues. All the zombies are configured to call a new class that enables this. You would at least have to edit every zombie to use the original class, but how that would impact the rest of the mod is unknown without extensive testing.

You chop the apple tree down to get apples in the current implementation. That may change in the A16 version.

The workworkbench typo will be fixed (again) in the next patch. Not sure how that keeps slipping back in but with just one person (me) editing the sdx version it should not happen again.

I think you just punch that suitcase to open it, I don't think you need a key.

Ack!. Is that contained in entityclasses.xml or in more places to look? It bothers the hell out of us with zombies that suddenly start to run in broaddaylight, when there is no shadows anywhere near. (does they trigger on where there once has been shadows in the world? Been lopping down the trees nearby base to remove the shadows they cast, but zombies keeps on running there)

I'll try to see if punching the suitcase works next time! just added the ProfessionKey as a craftable item on my server, that did work!

/Holo

@-Holo-

Straight from the in game description on the profession suit case

"Your only worldly possessions. Place on the ground and use your key to open or break open to gather your belongings. Check your skill screen to see what each profession teaches. Craft additional professions with 20 profession pages on the research desk."

Update: Patch - server and client XML, client DLL only

Xml edits and DLL rollback

Removed duplicate tool_category on fieldKnife which was doubling animal drops

Lowered rawmeat and brain matter drops on all animals

Fixed User created coffin and cooler recipes

Rolled back Assembly-CSharp.DLL to the 4/10 version. This removes the fix that eliminated the need to use the taskmanager on exiting from the server. Also eliminates some other unused features created for version A16 but not enabled on in A15. Retained the punchback, anti-nerdpole (cant place a block with feet in the air except when in godmode), zero damage by weaker materials on stronger, and crafting lag fixes. This DLL tested stable on various old saves on SP and against server saves. Loads "corrupted saves and may recover them. Your mileage may vary, so backup before updating.

You may get a error in your log on the first load of any old save, that looks like this:

ERR Entity.CreateEntity: unknown type (64357887)

WRN Ignore spawning of empty entity

The error is related to removed code and does not seem to effect the loaded game, nor does it seem to occur on subsequent loads of that save game.

Why the rollback? As the previous DLL was causing resets for some people, we are rolling back that DLL to the point before any resets were reported. Please continue to let me know if you experience any character resets or chunk resets. Please be aware that chunk resets are a known vanilla issue and may occasionally occur in this or any other game, vanilla or mod.

Hope we can move forward to A16 now.

So, i just realized what my problem was with my previous install, I was putting ALL the files in 7daystodie_Data, not the root folder.

IE, I'm a bloody idiot.

-Edit Switched to the launcher instead, logged in and had a character reset... Except not?

Got reset to level 1, no skills, SOME of my inventory missing (was wearing full steel, was left with just the helmet)

missing a few rifles ammo etc, just weird overall

Fireman?

Why as a fireman can I make the Iron Fire Axe and Steel Fire axe at level 1... but I can't make the Axe Head to make the actual fire axe till I train in those which unlocks the plan anyway?

Ok got some more group work.

Read carefully and answer in as much detail as u can mustard.

For every quality Tool or Weapon (not including Gun Smithing) how many of that item should you need to craft to get to quality 600? Or should you gain most of your xp by repairing the items instead of crafting them? So if we should get the lions share of crafting xp by crafting the items how many Stoneaxes should you need to craft to make a level 600 quality Stoneaxe. This will also limit the end game xp on early game items. So this should stop a player grinding Stoneaxes at player level 74 to try and get to lv75.

I'm all for repairing, at the moment given our ability to get pretty much any material stupidly easy, repairing is not even worth it really. I believe 'repair' is a mechanic that is well underused and should probably be brought out into the forefront. If it were a 'true survival' scenario, you can bet your bottom dollar anyone with 2 braincells to rub together would be repairing their tools rather than making entirely new ones all over, especially anything above stone. Of course the XP gained from repairing would need to be carefully balanced over time to match with the tools average usage otherwise it could make it really annoying to level up, which is a large part of most peoples game.

It would be a really nice fresh look at this game [and also at much in its genre] where you did not have to look back at the thousands of items you ground out over the course of the game to achieve your levels, but instead looked back at the care you gave to the tools you did have.

How about instead of a weapon or tool(non gun) losing quality with every repair it instead improved the item? Maybe all items crafted start at a certain quality or maybe you buy points to set the base level of your crafting then have to repair it from there to make it better? Then make much less xp from crafting and put more on repairing. Then not only does craft grinding not help you but you also have to use the item to lower its durability in order to repair it. Could make for a more natural xp struggle instead of sitting in a corner crafting all night.

@Spider

You are on the right track, balance will be the tricky bit I'm sure.

This guys channel is well worth a look and shows pretty well how tool appreciation would be so important in a survival scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA/videos

note: I draw special attention to the bow, forge and stone axe video's, but they are all well worth a look .

Archived