Concrete Arrow Slit Defense

CAdolfan

It's pretty cool.

Nice to see someone making use of those things.

I find them a bit constraining. Perhaps if the gap was a tiny bit bigger.

Yeah they can be a little constraining but at least you can still repair the spikes from the inside if you need to.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some on my base, but I can never decide on what direction they're supposed to face.

Never thought about which direction to place them.

I love the look of the arrow slits :)

However I think the main issue is that 50 pillars give much better visibility, and also stop the zombies while allowing for good reach beyond to loot or repair. If they made zombies just a little bit thinner and able to squeeze through the 50 slits (or perhaps just some of them, like the dogs), than I think people would be more likely to use the arrowslits :)

So for looks, arrowslits are better. Utility wise, 50 pillars still rock :p

-----------------------

-

I love the look of the arrow slits :)

However I think the main issue is that 50 pillars give much better visibility, and also stop the zombies while allowing for good reach beyond to loot or repair. If they made zombies just a little bit thinner and able to squeeze through the 50 slits (or perhaps just some of them, like the dogs), than I think people would be more likely to use the arrowslits :)

So for looks, arrowslits are better. Utility wise, 50 pillars still rock :p

I think I keep the 50 manufacturing plants in business by myself. Love those things.

I don't use spikes or any other passive defense except pure walls and I wouldn't feel comfortable constantly switching between repair tool and weapon. I like when Zs damage my walls so I have something to do after every horde night.

In MP that's something else. If we were at least two defenders, one would be killing them and the other one repairing, switching if one would run out of ammo or repairing resources. Hmmm... yeeees... yes that's where I would use arrow slits :tears_of_joy:.

I use the arrow slits in the castle building I've got in my let's play series. I used them on the top of the towers to make battlements in addition to some other blocks, and came up with a way to shoot straight down which works great. I've got a couple of arrow slits facing upwards as well to make pseudo-archways for some of the entrances - makes it look very castley! :)

I also use rows of arrow slits outside the base sometimes. Zombies get caught on them if they approach from the funnel side, especially if you make them of height 2-1-2-1-2-1-2... and then have a second row of them afterwards. Great to stop a few when you're fighting them outside.

The point of arrow slits is to let you choose the angle and present the enemy with only a narrow gap to hit. So the narrow point goes toward the enemy. The 7D2D implementation is too narrow to make it really useful. What works better is to take two half-wedge tips and build a wider gap that spans two blocks.

The point of arrow slits is to let you choose the angle and present the enemy with only a narrow gap to hit. So the narrow point goes toward the enemy. The 7D2D implementation is too narrow to make it really useful. What works better is to take two half-wedge tips and build a wider gap that spans two blocks.

I put the wider part outside because I found that I had a harder time choosing the angle when it was inside. I like your idea of using the angle-tips. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

My standard base is an 8x8 tower with 6 arrow slits on each side of the first floor, two rows of iron spikes, and one row of wood spikes, with a 2m wide iron truss catwalk up above. I can kite the zeds around the spikes from the catwalk, finishing them off from above, then loot the corpses through the arrow slits before they disappear. I don't usually fight from behind the slits because it's hard to headshot and they end up taking a lot of damage. They will often glitch through the slit, though, so headshotting is a little easier than it should be.

Never tried the 50 columns instead of the slits - I'll have to try that next time.

• 2 years later...

Arrow slits are fine as they are. I use them for my base. They give a good field of view but are small enough to stop zombie spew from getting through. If they are too small for you then use something else that is larger.

And I have to add, you are using them the wrong way. You don't build walls out of them. The are for putting atop the walls and sniping at zombies that are a distance away. Because the longer the distance the larger the area your field of view covers so the small slit doesn't matter.

Archived