Tins 7D2D (Enhancement)

Tin

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
You can generate [mesas by] incorporating a few clampoutput modules at varying height limits and higher power settings for the frequencies. So the terrain will generated at whatever height you set it at and make a flat top from the higher power setting. Then you can add a biome rule to only generate at those levels :)

You are supposed to be able to use "terrace" to generate them but I haven't quite figured out the best way to use that in a module yet.

edit: the best frequency (so far imo) to generate them is using a Voronoi just makes it easier to get those shear drop offs.

edit2: If you do try with using a Voronoi you don't need a real high power. you will only need to use a higher power setting if you use the usual frequencies.

Pardon my bump, but were you ever able to do anything with the Terrace module? Like, even to figure out what properties it has? In libnoise you specify an arbitrarily long array of control points, but for this game it's probably implemented as a limited number of properties. The problem is figuring out those property names is a game of "what's the secret password?"

Pardon my bump, but were you ever able to do anything with the Terrace module? Like, even to figure out what properties it has? In libnoise you specify an arbitrarily long array of control points, but for this game it's probably implemented as a limited number of properties. The problem is figuring out those property names is a game of "what's the secret password?"

<module name="bands" type="Cylinders">

<property name="frequency" value="0.00003"/>

</module>

<module name="rotate" type="RotateInput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="bands"/>

</module>

<module name="trans" type="TranslateInput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="rotate"/>

<property name="z" value="25000"/>

</module>

Here are some extra hidden gems:

What the terrace needs is all 3 of these to work properly. If I remember correctly the z and y don't actually work.

<property name="xAngle" value=""/>

<property name="yAngle" value=""/>

<property name="zAngle" value=""/>

Forgive my highjacking. xd

You can use Terrace for this use, but control points are hardcoded for now, sadly. (2, 23, 44, 65, 86, 107 : in-game elevation is "this - 27")

So, use ScaleBiasOutput to fit your satisfaction.

Something like Terrace is the CurveOutput, which you can setup 4 or more ControlPoint-s.

Forgive my highjacking. xd

You can use Terrace for this use, but control points are hardcoded for now, sadly. (2, 23, 44, 65, 86, 107 : in-game elevation is "this - 27")

So, use ScaleBiasOutput to fit your satisfaction.

Something like Terrace is the CurveOutput, which you can setup 4 or more ControlPoint-s.

No worries! The more info the better ;)

Hey Tin, in your experiment reduced-depth world... how thin did you make the terrain? I'm asking you as the resident rwg expert. I'm wondering what effect making a very (say 5 block) thin layer above all the rest bedrock would have on performance. Any thoughts?

It does increase the performance.. BUT! Not enough to make the efforts worth the gains. You would need to remove all pois that have a depth lower than that, All caves, All bunkers, Some houses etc,. or you would need to redo all those prefabs and encase them with bedrock so the players didn't dig through the world.

This would also mean adding in top ground ore nodes to replace everything you removed, prefabs are eaters of resources which is what the above ground nodes would be. To get the biggest bag, would be removing and/or lowering the mountains as well. For whatever reason horizontal loading is faster than the vertical loading.. don't know why! it just is.

Lowering your overall city/town sizes will actually bring in the biggest boost and spreading them out more, as the quickest and easiest tweak. Then changing your entities from being containers. Creatively decorating of the biomes, the biggest is getting rid of any tree 16m or higher then, limiting how many prefabs. Making your terrain gen limit how much water is made. tweak the blood moon horde to spawn in an entity for every entity you kill.. like 15 at a time and have it maintain that 15 for longer periods.. There's actually a lot of things you can do that will give better performance and less headache to implement then limiting the world depth.. ATM! IDK how things are going to be in A17 and some of this may change.

With my latest Mod some players are running it on a 4gb ram laptop and it does ok from what I understand and I didn't lower the world depth in it.

..srry rambling a bit but that's my answer to the question and suggestions to concentrate on instead.

It does increase the performance.. BUT! Not enough to make the efforts worth the gains. You would need to remove all pois that have a depth lower than that, All caves, All bunkers, Some houses etc,. or you would need to redo all those prefabs and encase them with bedrock so the players didn't dig through the world.

This would also mean adding in top ground ore nodes to replace everything you removed, prefabs are eaters of resources which is what the above ground nodes would be. To get the biggest bag, would be removing and/or lowering the mountains as well. For whatever reason horizontal loading is faster than the vertical loading.. don't know why! it just is.

Lowering your overall city/town sizes will actually bring in the biggest boost and spreading them out more, as the quickest and easiest tweak. Then changing your entities from being containers. Creatively decorating of the biomes, the biggest is getting rid of any tree 16m or higher then, limiting how many prefabs. Making your terrain gen limit how much water is made. tweak the blood moon horde to spawn in an entity for every entity you kill.. like 15 at a time and have it maintain that 15 for longer periods.. There's actually a lot of things you can do that will give better performance and less headache to implement then limiting the world depth.. ATM! IDK how things are going to be in A17 and some of this may change.

With my latest Mod some players are running it on a 4gb ram laptop and it does ok from what I understand and I didn't lower the world depth in it.

..srry rambling a bit but that's my answer to the question and suggestions to concentrate on instead.

Thanks for the (as always) in-depth reply. I enjoy learning from you.

Just to add to this. I tweaked your rwg a bit and merged it with mine. I have huge cities with fairly flat terrain and it takes no more than 6GB on my laptop.

So gains can definitely be made :)

Archived