Tins 7D2D (Enhancement)

Tin

I love the terrain this gives, but I'm noticing a lot of dead end trails and some dead end roads, where you would normally find a house or other POI. Is this a side effect of the tweaks to rwgmixer.xml? I'm looking at a world with no hub city and trails that just stop without any POI - few houses, etc.

I love the terrain this gives, but I'm noticing a lot of dead end trails and some dead end roads, where you would normally find a house or other POI. Is this a side effect of the tweaks to rwgmixer.xml? I'm looking at a world with no hub city and trails that just stop without any POI - few houses, etc.

Hmm.. Are you using the Full rwgmixer or Tins world A15.#?

If using Tin's world A15.# that is just using a pure vanilla poi placement of what is already in the game minus the terrain edits.

If using the full rwgmixer it may be from the way the road placement is handled which I have no control over.

You can always try:

<wilderness_rules>
	<wilderness_rule name="wildernessBarren" spawn_min_max="[color="#FFFF00"]40,50[/color]">
		<path_material value="gravel" /> 
		<path_radius value="2" />
		<prefab_rule name="wildernessPOIsBarren" prob="1"/>
	</wilderness_rule>
	<wilderness_rule name="wildernessLowPop" spawn_min_max="[color="#FFFF00"]30,40[/color]">
		<prefab_rule name="wildernessPOIsSmall" prob="1"/>
	</wilderness_rule>
	<wilderness_rule name="wildernessMedPop" spawn_min_max="[color="#FFFF00"]20,30[/color]">
		<prefab_rule name="wildernessPOIsMed" prob="1"/>
	</wilderness_rule>
	<wilderness_rule name="wildernessLrgPop" spawn_min_max="[color="#FFFF00"]10,20[/color]">
		<prefab_rule name="wildernessPOIsLrg" prob="1"/>
	</wilderness_rule>
	<wilderness_rule name="wildernessWaste" spawn_min_max="[color="#FFFF00"]5,10[/color]">
		<prefab_rule name="wildernessPOIsLrg" prob="1"/>
	</wilderness_rule>
</wilderness_rules>

Lower the values that are highlighted yellow in half and see if it cures poi placement issue you are having on that seed.

I haven't came across that issue as of yet so far.

One issue I do come across (even in a pure vanilla game) Is that sometimes the Randomness freaks out and wants to place multiple copies of prefabs throughout the game world over and over again. I think it may be exasperated with the POI's themselves as well since some are only biome specific. Which may be what your are seeing with the no poi stuff, In that it wants to place a biome specific poi in biome that it shouldn't.

What should happen is that if a poi is picked to be placed in a biome that it isn't meant for it should just re-roll and pick another in the list.

Either way it may just be easier to use another seed name.

Oh! Can I have the seed you used as well so I can look at it?

I'm using the full rwgmixer. I changed the seed and while this seed has no hub city at 0,0, I really haven't been around enough to be able to tell if anything else is out of the ordinary. Sadly, I forget exactly what seed I was using, sorry! This seed is "herple". Other than no hub city, so far it looks OK. I'll run it through the paces and see if anything looks off.

I'm using the full rwgmixer. I changed the seed and while this seed has no hub city at 0,0, I really haven't been around enough to be able to tell if anything else is out of the ordinary. Sadly, I forget exactly what seed I was using, sorry! This seed is "herple". Other than no hub city, so far it looks OK. I'll run it through the paces and see if anything looks off.

There is a off set applied to the hub city so most likely won't appear right at 0,0 and be scattered in the map somewhere. I'll take a look on the editor what the seed will looks like..

Edit:

You actually have (2) wasteland hub cities in your map but they are a bit off from the center I put the general location to them in the spoiler just in case you don't want the location to them.

At position 0,0 travel SW quite a ways it will be on the outskirts of a burnt forest about 1/3rd of the map. The 2nd one is even further SW from that city almost on the edge of the map but not in the rad zone :)

Edit2: I also went ahead and flew to those spots in the game so yep (2) wasteland cities for you :)

So I gook a peek at the world in the previewer, and I think I have a much better idea (and appreciation) of what it actually does. Rather impressive actually, I had the misfortune to travel south and west, but not far enough to see more than a small town. All I saw that way was forest, plains and a small barren town. I had no idea a hub city was right down the road, let alone in several other places.

Nice work on this!

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha that is awesome :cool-new: Them workers better have been paid a bonus for building that one xD

I have seen similar terrain with with the Vanilla system :surprise: in place and it was cool then too (well as long as it doesn't happen that often).

Hahaha that is awesome :cool-new: Them workers better have been paid a bonus for building that one xD

I have seen similar terrain with with the Vanilla system :surprise: in place and it was cool then too (well as long as it doesn't happen that often).

I still wonder what the cause is though, must be related to the flattening of POI placement that somehow fails or something or the POI is placed much higher than the terrain is. I have personally not seen it happen in my games, vanilla or with my terrain mods, so I have no idea. Looks very cool tho.

I still wonder what the cause is though, must be related to the flattening of POI placement that somehow fails or something or the POI is placed much higher than the terrain is. I have personally not seen it happen in my games, vanilla or with my terrain mods, so I have no idea. Looks very cool tho.

Yeah still scratching my head as to why it sometimes happen? I think it is just a limit to libnoise since its not capable of generating all combinations that we can enter as seed names. Just gonna say I will be highly surprised if at some point somebody doesn't come up with a certain seed(s) and it doesn't happen to your build at some point. *Not hoping for it but just wouldn't be surprised is all*

Tin generated MESA biome ,finally :p

Looks COOL!!

When we can generate it as intended, the door connected to brand-new RGW is opened.

You can generate them buy incorporating a few clampoutput modules at varying height limits and higher power settings for the frequencies. So the terrain will generated at whatever height you set it at and make a flat top from the higher power setting. Then you can add a biome rule to only generate at those levels :)

You are supposed to be able to use "terrace" to generate them but I haven't quite figured out the best way to use that in a module yet.

edit: the best frequency (so far imo) to generate them is using a Voronoi just makes it easier to get those shear drop offs.

edit2: If you do try with using a Voronoi you don't need a real high power. you will only need to use a higher power setting if you use the usual frequencies.

The prefab generator found a flat enough spot and said "looks good, place prefab". It just happened to be a high plateau.

The reasoning for the prefab placement, yes! Why the terrain anomaly was even generated in the first place.. Still confusing. BTW congrats on the 10k You are Green Green Guppycur :)

Thanks for this Tin! I am planning to make a fresh map on my DS this weekend using Valmod Expansion and Compopack. I'm thinking about inserting your terrain_generators, biome_generators & biome_spawn_rules into Compopacks rwgmixer.xml. Anyone see any potential disasters from this combination? Basically, I hope to get more 'reasonable' terrain as compared to vanilla A15.1, in terms of less water and mountains mainly.

Thanks for this Tin! I am planning to make a fresh map on my DS this weekend using Valmod Expansion and Compopack. I'm thinking about inserting your terrain_generators, biome_generators & biome_spawn_rules into Compopacks rwgmixer.xml. Anyone see any potential disasters from this combination? Basically, I hope to get more 'reasonable' terrain as compared to vanilla A15.1, in terms of less water and mountains mainly.

The Compo pack shouldn't be a issue as I think that is more about the POIs, hub building and placement. Not sure about Valmod Expansion as I am not that familiar with it... As long as you just use the Terrain/Biome generation section I wouldn't think so?! but not a 100% sure.

This looks awesome, I'll have to give it a whirl, it looks more in line with what I want.

To clarify the full revamp is the same as Tin's World but with the things you stated?

Yep and it makes POI's more prevalent in hub's (ie towns/rurals) Just a lil forewarning: More poi's = more zeds.. almost too much. So be prepared when entering a decent sized town :)

IF you find the map loading is slowed down too much for you, then in the terrain generation area you can lower <property name="roughness" value="25"/> the value="" in half in all the modules that have the roughness property. It will speed up the terrain generation quite a bit.

I gave both of them a try, and tbh I like the original Tin's World better than the full revamp.

It might've been the seed I was using, but I got a huge desert with islands of taiga and occassionaly a large hill with a snow biome on top just everywhere, it just looked off to me.

The original Tin's World looks great, I might do your little lake edit though because I didn't see any while exploring. Other than that, the terrain is a lot more reasonable, vanilla has too many lakes and mountains.

I gave both of them a try, and tbh I like the original Tin's World better than the full revamp.

It might've been the seed I was using, but I got a huge desert with islands of taiga and occassionaly a large hill with a snow biome on top just everywhere, it just looked off to me.

The original Tin's World looks great, I might do your little lake edit though because I didn't see any while exploring. Other than that, the terrain is a lot more reasonable, vanilla has too many lakes and mountains.

That's cool. Not everyone is going to like what I like :) That's why I have the 2 versions :)

Hey Tin,

thanks for your great work.

I got a problem with the water in the revamp version.

I don´t get any water in my seeds.

Upped both frequencies in little steps to about 1.5 but it didn´t change anything in the world previewer?

Do you know if i´m doing something wrong maybe? ^^

Got the same thing in 15.1 & 15.2 vanilla.

Thanks for your help mate. :)

[color="#FFFF00"]<module name="land1" type="InvertInput">[/color]
	<property name="sourceModule" value="land"/>
	<property name="[color="#FFFF00"]frequency[/color]" value="[color="#FFFF00"]0.47[/color]"/>
	<property name="bias" value="0.25"/>
</module>

You can increase the frequency value in the above module to give slightly more lakes and ponds (would not go beyond 1.5).

If you want even more:

<module name="landBase" type="FastBillow" no_seed="true">
	<property name="[color="#FFFF00"]frequency[/color]" value="[color="#FFFF00"]0.4[/color]7"/>
	<property name="roughness" value="25"/>
</module>

Increase the frequency value very Slightly in this module (slightly ie at +0.02 incriminates).

And ty for trying it :)

The map most likely has water but it's not appearing in the previewer since the amount it is producing is so small. You won't really see the blue being represented in the previewer.

If you really do not have any water you can:

-<module name="land" type="ScaleBiasOutput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="landBase"/>

<property name="scale" value="0.75"/>

<property name="bias" value="0.5"/> <- tone down the bias

</module>

-<module name="land1" type="InvertInput">

<property name="sourceModule" value="land"/>

<property name="frequency" value="0.47"/>

<property name="bias" value="0.25"/> <-tone down the bias.

</module>

The generator was made to have little to no water initially. Toning down the 'bias' and it should start to make pools the closer to zero you get (you just may end up with a lot of them though).

edit: Hope it gives what your are looking for. I do know the seed(s) 'Plague' 'PLaguelands' 'Concrete Jungle' 'TinsWorld' 'Test' (0-9) will all give water ponds. Among many others I don't know if you are wanting to stick with your personal seed name or not though.

• 3 weeks later...
What's new stuff? (・_・?

Well the goal is to make mountains be like mountains and further spread out with very large flat zones in between. I also added more watering holes.

My old set up really didn't produce mountains that well (imo) and made it seem like you were actually just walking up/down very large hills. This way I can have those that like to build in flat areas not feel like they are always surrounded and those that like to hike mountains actually feel like they are hiking up one.

The thing I need feed back on is the actual spacing of the mountains, trying to find the "Goldilocks zone" on how far apart they should be. I want it to feel like it's a trek from mountain area to another mountain area but not so far ppl get discouraged.

I have them somewhat spaced apart now, just don't know if it's good enough or not.

With the way I have the modules set up I can easily spread the mountains out or tighten them up and also make it even easier to add/subtract watering holes.

Archived