Subquake's Undead Legacy

Subquake

A simple review and praise.

2 weeks ago i started UL for the 3rd time, now im on experimental branch (opted since from what i saw isnt game breaking), and I could see all the progress done.

Kuddos for that. The experience has been so good that after my first start of this 2020 mod (didnt played the previous versions) I donated to the author.

Know for the pros of the mod:

- its all around less arcadie style, on other mods after 2 in game days I normally get guns and bullets, in this one it takes time.

- the weight system is genious with ups and downs, let me explain, a 150+ storage relying on weight is very good for the first few days because you can keep almost everything, for example on other mods that use the normal system, you might have a 100 plus storage bag, but it only allow you to use 20 initial storage. With this one its like, you can keep 99% of stuff that become usefull latter on. I hate it in the long term due to mining and building, ill do the explaning part in the cons. Another Pro change in gameplay due to this new system is for mining and use of vehicles, now I need that not so tiny mining car (6000kg) and all my forges/furnaces are on bedrock in the central mine.

- weapons, that 38 gun or 9mm gun at the start sux and thats a good thing. I forces me to use the primitive weapons giving the feeling of progression, more than normal I find a iron pick axe that i wont use because my stone one do the same in more time but reparing... those damn repair kits!

- Data Cards system its way better than the vanilla one, why? Because until day 40 (assume the hardest difficulty setting at start) I'm level 36 i and only find junk level (E) weapons that cost too much to repair (repair kits are easy to craft but expensive due to plastic bottles mainly). At day 64 (my current state) I'm level 59 (mined alot) and i starting to find the good stuff at low quality level. Now why is this important? Quality improvements and use of data cards. So my first move is to reach level A in mining tools (S level costs 2500 or 2000 Data, its expensive), then i need the data to research some items to fast craft like bandages, then i need data to craft stations (more than often trying to get data cards lead to finding the schematic you need and this should be changed. What all of this changed in my game play? Well, it extended time to progress and made me loot monuments i didnt before due to those damn books :D

- The new picking system is a must, not in the way the minigame is concepted (kind of confuse for start) but try that jackhammer or valkyre to destroy the vault and... suprise! They reduced the damage done, so now you are forced to use those picks that you used at the start but like in all other mods when you get and auger its like useless! Like it alot.

- Guns are a mix, you are starting to give us some diversity, but i find myself using the same mix, shotty from the start to middle wipe, then i use one auto (depends on ammo available) and its ok buts its the same with all other mods... suggestion, like the augers, one type of weapon to kill a type of zombie. Like one weapon for radiated, one for demolition zombies... I guess this would force players to diverse and balance the play style?

- Vehicles are related to weight and this is game changing. Keep it up and please change somethings... SUV or military jeeps can hold 1500 to 1800. Thats more than needed to loot 2 POI twice (no loot respawn so i depend on the traders missions). Last wipe i got the big military truck... 12000 space that i never used, slow has hell so I benched it. Not to mention the big mining truck, 20k kg of space, but to big to use. Not fun. Another thing you need to balance, is the vehicle progression. In 3 wipes i used this: Bicycle then SUV, 2 wipes i didnt crafted or bought a motorcycle, didnt use a car (cop car is 1000kg but it cost the same to get the SUV). Maybe some change in the system would help? The Helis are fine for me, I get the small one or the big one (depends when i have the money to buy them and their availabilty in trader), I saw a youtuber (spanish one, Carry i think) and i guess now you can craft them, i would allow it, because it extends gameplay, you need money, then you need them to show in trader stock... But either way, Helis for me are fine the way they are.

Cons for single play, that might be different for MP

- Mining, so the praised weight systems gets downplayed the moment you progress to motorized tools. Jackhammer and Valkyre mine so fast that in 30s of mining iron/lead you have 500kg (around 5k of ore) and now you need to go deposit in you mining cart or storage. Its so painfull that i had to use creative (F1+CM) then i crouch and press H to get that limit ignored. Its so bad and basicly removes all the enjoyment of everything you built (tunnels for the mining car, the need for the mining car, gathering those steroids, etc), Its needs some love for sure, this shouldnt happen, Its like crazy. I understand that its like, if you focus on looting, you need to balance the ores you bring, some other mods i dont even mine because by lotting/scraping i get lots of iron and led, in UL since they weight so much i often throw them away. But for mining, its crazy. Know you might say, but man 20k iron ore should be enough, right? Well, wrong! In UL 20k ore iron gives 2k of iron ingots (1k iron plates), then (i dont recall exactly) from 2k iron you get 200 steel ingots (not sure if its a 10% or 50% multiple) that will be transformed in 100 stell plates. This represents 10 steel blocks... 10! The problem resides not in the proportions but on the mining weight limit. A solution for me could pass from using the mining candy and instead of giving only 100kg plus, give a 5k kg buff (this way i will still use the mining car). Give it some love, it deserves it.

- Building its anoying when you want to upgrade thing to steel... So 300 steel plates represent 30 blocks. My horde base is a simple one, a ramp in U shape where on side is a ramp and the other side is a 2 wide tunnel by 3 high that ends in a hatch system (in terms of vertical height, its one hatch, one empty block then a square block). Know normal progression goes from wood to cobble (tunnel needs to be cobblestone), then i upgrade with cement and then with steel. Its a pain in the ass, because its like 10 trips  to upgrade! This time i even made the base next to it... still a pain. Its a small con, but we need to think this way, the mining is not near home, so i need to bring the steel home, then store it, then take it to the horde base, then use it...

- Hordes... melee all day. So the first 2 hordes (at least for me) are balanced and really small, but when you progress they because lame, and lame, and more lame. Cops and Demo, i use a shotgun and problem solved. Since i use a tunnel that end in a hatch barrier and combine it with electrical fences... its too damn easy. One suggestion is to remove the fences, engines and generators from the trader, they are cheap and even if they wasnt cheap for me is a first buy. And they break balance. Example, my first 2 hordes i used a prefab, ground level, but it had cement walls, so i used a room, put some cobblestone blocks and made a 2 wide tunnel with hatchs (by the way reparing wood hatch cost more than reparing a iron one, i almost died because i didnt know i need a bunch of materials), on horde 2 i had the robot hammer, it helps alot but on horde 3... damn, i though i was safe with iron hatches (hordes have 12 zombies or 16 i´m not sure the setting i use, i tend to increase it when its too damn easy). Horde 4 i built a mix of wood a cobble horde base, with 6 electrical fences (30w) a small engine and, well Its horde 9 and i upgraded wall just because i can, not because i need, the electric fences are OP more than you might think, and thats ok if we had some things added to the mix. So if you dont want to add more zombies, at least change somethings to make them more resistant to passive defenses, like the Demo and cop be ignored by electrical/robotic, the spit of cops doing more damage to structures, etc. I guess some brainstorm its important, because you give tools that at a point in time are uselless and thats not very rewarding. A simple change in the lockpick system (the nerf of tools to destroy vaults, safes, etc) made a game changing move, maybe try to focus on the hordes?

- Carpenter tables progression needs a look. I found it frustrating to craft one level 1 to learn a level 2, then i need to craft a level 1 again to craft a level 2. Then i need that level 2 to learn the level 3, to craft the level 3 i need to craft a level 1, then a level 2 then the level 3. Its not related to resources, because that wasnt the point, its the system. And I validated my frustration when a youtuber said the same thing.

This mod is aweme, all others have their space, but you know what would bring some spark to this mod? A end game thing, like DF. I saw a video that the mod now have a special treasure where you get a mod that increase loot bonus. Good start, although i really dont know how to get that treasure map. What i mean is, see the minigun (i only use it on that POI with the swiming pools that have like 100 zombies coming from the ground) and the Thor hammer, why dont you make a thing, either treasure map (lame that the video i saw, it was in the open and all the zombies were standing still, it was a nice horde but they didnt search him) or some POI where you will find the schematic for it and this is the only way to get it? Like the Scifi doors, nice thing but at day 64 i can have them even if i only have S mining tools learned and the rest come from loot? Even the quality of loot i found realy pleasing that at day 28 i had a C level double barrel and the rest was either E or D level... I dont you make it less expensive for all levels except level S and eliminate all C and above levels from loot? I mean, i wont craft shotguns because (round numbers):

- S level mining tools, around 6k data cards (120 schematics)

- stations and cruclible around 8k data cards

I have now around 9k data cards in stock that i could put in SMG but them i need a wrench but then i might want to make armor... err.. armor it is

- so level S armor 6k data cards... and so on.

Getting initial data cards is easy, small POI to libraries, but if you use vanilla settings it will take 30 days to respawn, wich means that using all those weapons, armor and so on parts its like... But if i cant find level S loot, I'll do it right? Maybe :D so Having special treasure maps to get S level schematics is a plus (i wonder how MP goes by, since when i play it, those libraries POI are stormed the same way tier 5 are).

Post is long enough, the mod is so good, so challenging (thats why some youtubers dont focus on it and only spanish ones do, Carry is one, Buck Fernandez another and Garmelon is the smaller one, but desearves some love. I saw that you entered one of the GrandSpartan sessions when he did a solo live, his play style is the oposite of this mod, what he likes is action to enternain the audiance, thats why he did a small one, was 2 or 3  lives and thats it and he got back to the one you need to use the toilet).

I love it. 

48 minutes ago, Robertomcat said:

Hello, good afternoon!

The updates are applied just like the game installation?

If you use Game Launcher, just presync the mod. It will update the game, take one note, the menu normally says that new version is availabe but game launcher doesnt have it. That anoyed me sometimes :D

I have a question about talents in the mod, since there are several of them that do not have any text in the "tooltip", like in the attached screenshot:

The talents that look like this are:

Perception: Animal Tracker, The Penetrator, Treasure hunter

Strengh: Heavy Armor

Fortitude: Iron Gut, Healing Factor

Agility: Light Armor, Parkour,

Intelect: Charismatic Nature

My doubt is the reason for this; is it because my game is in Spanish? Are those talents available or no?

Thanks.

talents.png

Edited by Retens (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Retens said:

I have a question about talents in the mod, since there are several of them that do not have any text in the "tooltip"

I make localization for English version of the game for my mod only, so far no one has made a translation for undead legacy in your language, therefore you see "vanilla" text in the descriptions.

Just now, Retens said:

Ok I see. I will try to change the game to English.

Thanks for the reply.

but thanks for noticing, I might make a note of what perks are affected and might change localization keys used in them, that way forcing english descriptions :)

2 hours ago, Pericao said:

If you use Game Launcher, just presync the mod. It will update the game, take one note, the menu normally says that new version is availabe but game launcher doesnt have it. That anoyed me sometimes :D

The truth is that I don't understand very well what you mean, it's the first update that has come out since I installed this mod.

Been playing this mod the past few months and love it! I keep my eye out for any updates and usually have no problems. The recent stable update, V. 2.2.61, has given me a bit of a problem (I had been playing V 2.2.41 with no problems). I can't loot anything and I fall through the map. I've redownloaded the mod several times and verified my game files as well but to no avail. Is there something I could try/look into to fix? Seems like there is several loot files missing??

7days.jpg

8 hours ago, mimi6699 said:

Been playing this mod the past few months and love it! I keep my eye out for any updates and usually have no problems. The recent stable update, V. 2.2.61, has given me a bit of a problem (I had been playing V 2.2.41 with no problems). I can't loot anything and I fall through the map. I've redownloaded the mod several times and verified my game files as well but to no avail. Is there something I could try/look into to fix? Seems like there is several loot files missing??

7days.jpg

I forgot to mention that I don't use the 7D2D mod launcher. I know most mod authors highly recommend, however that's its own nightmare as I cannot get anything to download with that launcher. I download from here; https://github.com/7D2DModLauncher/ThickInstaller/blob/master/SetupInstaller.msi?raw=true from the 7D2D launcher site. Follow instructions and all it does is copy my steam 7days to die. That's it. I've spent 3months trouble shooting to no avail so I just download mods from the authors supported site. Thus I downloaded the undead legacy file from the official website http://ul.subquake.com/wiki/Main_Page .

A side note: I always start a new game with updates. If something is off from an overwrite type update then I redownload and verify everything I can as if I never downloaded the mod in the first place. I have a separate 7 days game copy that I mod that is in my steam folder but not the original game folder.

Just now, mimi6699 said:

I forgot to mention that I don't use the 7D2D mod launcher. I know most mod authors highly recommend, however that's its own nightmare as I cannot get anything to download with that launcher. I download from here; https://github.com/7D2DModLauncher/ThickInstaller/blob/master/SetupInstaller.msi?raw=true from the 7D2D launcher site. Follow instructions and all it does is copy my steam 7days to die. That's it. I've spent 3months trouble shooting to no avail so I just download mods from the authors supported site. Thus I downloaded the undead legacy file from the official website http://ul.subquake.com/wiki/Main_Page .

A side note: I always start a new game with updates. If something is off from an overwrite type update then I redownload and verify everything I can as if I never downloaded the mod in the first place. I have a separate 7 days game copy that I mod that is in my steam folder but not the original game folder.

Did you follow through and actually copied ALL the mod files, because sounds like you didn't, since you're the only one having this issue.

Here's a written guide how to manually install the mod: https://ul.subquake.com/wiki/Manual_Installation_Guide

New update ready!

2021.01.16 - 2.2.63 Stable
- Lockpicking is now boosted by Jail Breakers and Great Heist
- You can now rebind keys related to lockpicking and stack locking in inventory
- Picked doors will now remember damage state before it was picked
- Fixed Lockpicking minigame  being triggering while trying to unlock player made storage/doors with set pass codes
- Fixed Badger-38 missing critical item quality affecting stats
- Fixed a typo for gamestage.xml, should be gamestages.xml

All 4 of us on our server are also having the same problem with looting. Opening a chest will freeze for a second and prevent using anything until the container is destroyed which remains in a state of "item in use" but also says it's empty. We are going to try update to the new stable (previously using the old) to see if it makes any difference. It's only happened with the dark brown chest in the loot rooms so far! now we have avoided those chests after day 1 and 2 seeing the issue replicated in other Pois among all 4. 

Yes - copied all the files correctly

only 1 person is trying to loot the chest at the time

no red/yellow text in console for client or server

Thank you for this new update, i personally particulary appreciate  1: the "more zombies", 2: the "stack locking in inventory" (even i still didn't succed to do it at this moment! lol!) and 3: the "required material/ingredient highlightning". 👌

EDIT: now the locking in inventory works perfectly! 🙂

Edited by dani2mars (see edit history)

23 hours ago, Motherhoodlum said:

When playing multiplayer, at the beginning of the game, player 2 cannot complete the tutorial. No matter how many primitive bows you craft, it will not register as being completed. 

Try yo craft the required items and don't close the bench until the craft it's done. Not sure if intended.

------

I also have a question; how do the "stun" with shotguns mechanic work?(from the Boomstick perk) I saw in the 7d wiki that it's supposed to be a 90% slow, but I don't see the zombies slowing down or anything. I've been trying to figure it out but I have no idea.

6 hours ago, Retens said:

Try yo craft the required items and don't close the bench until the craft it's done. Not sure if intended.

------

I also have a question; how do the "stun" with shotguns mechanic work?(from the Boomstick perk) I saw in the 7d wiki that it's supposed to be a 90% slow, but I don't see the zombies slowing down or anything. I've been trying to figure it out but I have no idea.

That's a known multiplayer bug, you have to stay in the workstation UI for it to count the quest. It's out of my capability to fix the bug, it's how TFP have coded the quest system sadly.

Haven't touched shootguns yet in my mod, they should work like in vanilla for now, so not sure about that question.

Edited by Subquake (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, Subquake said:

That's a known multiplayer bug, you have to stay in the workstation UI for it to count the quest. It's out of my capability to fix the bug, it's how TFP have coded the quest system sadly.

But you could change the "craft" quest part's into gather.

Hi,

I need help with the server mod.

I would like to set up a server to play with my friends using the service offered by the "https://www.g-portal.com". But the gportal web page does not allow me to install it. I am uploading the 7DaysToDieServerData and Mods files directly from an FTP. Is it like this or do I have to do it some other way.

Thank you :)

captura 7days.png

captura 7days.png