New game Title....7 Mins to cure what ails ya

WTF.....this used to be fun...ridiculous the amount of first aid needed in this game now.....100 percent chance of infection from vultures.....tested it....and 70 percent from zeds.....now the grind is not to play but to effin cure yourself.  

I have a multi part question, not a dispute. What version are you playing, and what level, and is it advanced settings?

I ask because there was a prior version that it felt like that but in the past month or so of playing 1.0 I have not had that happen

like it did before. I use to have it happen way too often. The one counter I have for that now is everywhere I go, I stop to

chop a stump, I don't get a ton of honey, but I feel comfortable when I have at least two. plus I get wood for my arrows.

The random drop is low but I pass enough of them through my travels that I can end up with at least one a day, and i use

it to cure myself almost without thought now.

5 hours ago, ASSedOutnTN said:

WTF.....this used to be fun...ridiculous the amount of first aid needed in this game now.....100 percent chance of infection from vultures.....tested it....and 70 percent from zeds.....now the grind is not to play but to effin cure yourself.  

What are you using for armor?  Armor greatly reduces infection/debuff chances.  In the Q6 medium armor I'm wearing, even vultures rarely cause debuffs when they hit me.  I don't believe primitive armor prevents debuffs at all, though I may be wrong about that.

Well ....i do have lvl 4 Assassin armor as I went stealth, which is not good either, so its not the best armor, but it seems that I'm now looking for cures more than progressing for me. Latest build but didn't start over, maybe that's my issue, day 21 Nomad and I'm being infected, scrapped, broken, sprained, etc from basically one hit. Problem is most medical is locked behind chem and books, antibiotics at book 60? Anyway just a rant. Ill still play, but not as fun as this use to be cause Im not fighting zeds now, Im looking for medicine and zombies are just in the way.

Honestly, this has to be a result of playstyle. I'm not arguing your complaint isn't valid, but I play mostly assassin as well and I've been infected maybe once. My critical injuries are also non-existent. When I do get severely injured, it's usually due to my own stupidity and approaching a situation without proper planning.

6 hours ago, Suxar said:

31 days and only 1 infection. In A20, infections occurred much more frequently.

It's always weird to me just how so many people can have completely different experiences in the same game, RNG for the win I guess. In A20 (maybe 21), I remember posting here or on Steam asking if infections had been removed because after 60 odd levels (and being hit more than a few times), I never had one.

I have two games in 1.0 currently. Stealth guy at around level 35, and a Strength/Fort guy at level 25 or so. Those two combined have been infected about 6 times. More than previous versions, but not nearly what the OP is experiencing.

2 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

Honestly, this has to be a result of playstyle. I'm not arguing your complaint isn't valid, but I play mostly assassin as well and I've been infected maybe once. My critical injuries are also non-existent. When I do get severely injured, it's usually due to my own stupidity and approaching a situation without proper planning.

Yeah, Im sure part of my playstyle is at fault, but again, the balance of crits to hits is off and no longer is it fun for me to look for cures for them. The game is now stale and annoying to play IMO.

4 minutes ago, Fenris said:

It's always weird to me just how so many people can have completely different experiences in the same game, RNG for the win I guess. In A20 (maybe 21), I remember posting here or on Steam asking if infections had been removed because after 60 odd levels (and being hit more than a few times), I never had one.

I have two games in 1.0 currently. Stealth guy at around level 35, and a Strength/Fort guy at level 25 or so. Those two combined have been infected about 6 times. More than previous versions, but not nearly what the OP is experiencing.

Its probably my game style for sure, but the point im making is that why is some of the cures for crits, with zeds and animal boosted hp and no early game defense, hidden behind 60 books or hope that the 8 tree stumps give you a honey to cure 5% of the 5.2% infection and by the time you hit another stump, your back up to 5.1 from previous cure. ITS ANNOYINGLY RIDICOLOUS for this gameplay mechanic. 

13 minutes ago, ASSedOutnTN said:

Yeah, Im sure part of my playstyle is at fault, but again, the balance of crits to hits is off and no longer is it fun for me to look for cures for them. The game is now stale and annoying to play IMO.

Its probably my game style for sure, but the point im making is that why is some of the cures for crits, with zeds and animal boosted hp and no early game defense, hidden behind 60 books or hope that the 8 tree stumps give you a honey to cure 5% of the 5.2% infection and by the time you hit another stump, your back up to 5.1 from previous cure. ITS ANNOYINGLY RIDICOLOUS for this gameplay mechanic. 

I think most players aren't experiencing this, so if it's becoming a problem for you to enjoy the game, perhaps consider what you might do to change your play style a little to avoid the problem.  But since I really don't know your play style or what might be the reason you're experiencing this, I can't really suggest any specific ways to improve things. Although it doesn't necessarily benefit playing stealth (assassin armor suggests that is what you're doing), maybe consider wearing the preacher armor set instead.  It gives a big reduction to debuffs (crits).  That might make the game more fun for you even if it doesn't necessarily benefit your particular build the way assassin armor does.

Maybe you're just getting hit a lot more than you think?  My understanding is that the more times you get hit in a row, the more chance of a debuff (I might be wrong about that, though).  I do tend to get infected a fair amount, but nothing serious.  And that's mostly because I go straight into the fight almost every time without trying to be sneaky about it and so I get hit a LOT.  But I can handle it, so I don't mind.  And with the number of times I'm hit by attacks, my chance of debuffs right now (yes, right now I'm in tier 6 medium armor), is most likely under 5%.

As far as meds go, honey is the only thing that is ever a problem, and only in the early game.  I find enough of everything else very quickly just in loot.  And medical magazines are found in almost every medical loot pile it seems, so you should be able to max that fairly quickly if you're looting medical stuff.  You can find these medical piles all over the place and basically any pop n pills crate also has medical magazines and they can be found elsewhere as well.  It tends to be one of the faster magazines to advance in, though it's still RNG.  Honey is one of those things that is either giving you honey almost every few stumps or not for 20+ stumps.  It's the worst case of RNG I think I've seen for anything in this game.  The short of it is that you should chop stumps every single time you see one as you play, at least until you're mid game and have enough defense against debuffs and have enough honey and other anti-infection meds.  Also, there is a decent chance to get honey as a quest reward if you absolutely need it, or to find it at a trader to purchase (especially from Jen).

In short, yes, it can be annoying.  I spent half a day on day 1 (on 2 hours days) running around trying to get honey to cure an infection I got from the first time I was attacked and then was so far behind in food and water from all that running that it took me a while to get back to normal.  But when it comes down to it, it is easy to overcome that.  Decent armor, looting medical stuff, doing quests, chopping stumps always and not just when you're infected.... there are so many ways to overcome it that it really shouldn't be a problem.

3 hours ago, Riamus said:

I think most players aren't experiencing this, so if it's becoming a problem for you to enjoy the game, perhaps consider what you might do to change your play style a little to avoid the problem.  But since I really don't know your play style or what might be the reason you're experiencing this, I can't really suggest any specific ways to improve things. Although it doesn't necessarily benefit playing stealth (assassin armor suggests that is what you're doing), maybe consider wearing the preacher armor set instead.  It gives a big reduction to debuffs (crits).  That might make the game more fun for you even if it doesn't necessarily benefit your particular build the way assassin armor does.

Maybe you're just getting hit a lot more than you think?  My understanding is that the more times you get hit in a row, the more chance of a debuff (I might be wrong about that, though).  I do tend to get infected a fair amount, but nothing serious.  And that's mostly because I go straight into the fight almost every time without trying to be sneaky about it and so I get hit a LOT.  But I can handle it, so I don't mind.  And with the number of times I'm hit by attacks, my chance of debuffs right now (yes, right now I'm in tier 6 medium armor), is most likely under 5%.

As far as meds go, honey is the only thing that is ever a problem, and only in the early game.  I find enough of everything else very quickly just in loot.  And medical magazines are found in almost every medical loot pile it seems, so you should be able to max that fairly quickly if you're looting medical stuff.  You can find these medical piles all over the place and basically any pop n pills crate also has medical magazines and they can be found elsewhere as well.  It tends to be one of the faster magazines to advance in, though it's still RNG.  Honey is one of those things that is either giving you honey almost every few stumps or not for 20+ stumps.  It's the worst case of RNG I think I've seen for anything in this game.  The short of it is that you should chop stumps every single time you see one as you play, at least until you're mid game and have enough defense against debuffs and have enough honey and other anti-infection meds.  Also, there is a decent chance to get honey as a quest reward if you absolutely need it, or to find it at a trader to purchase (especially from Jen).

In short, yes, it can be annoying.  I spent half a day on day 1 (on 2 hours days) running around trying to get honey to cure an infection I got from the first time I was attacked and then was so far behind in food and water from all that running that it took me a while to get back to normal.  But when it comes down to it, it is easy to overcome that.  Decent armor, looting medical stuff, doing quests, chopping stumps always and not just when you're infected.... there are so many ways to overcome it that it really shouldn't be a problem.

yeah, i personally think this is actually happening more than i realize cause of the room trigger and spawns from behind as well, just my ranting, we all do it, its healthy.

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

RNGeezus be with ya'll!

Let us pray.

LMAO, thanks needed a good laugh

Stumps gives honey....  taking a vitamin before doing a POI/quest prevents any infection for a time duration...  stop getting hit so often.  Keep knocking out stumps for more honey even if you don't need it.  I have played with a friend that never prepares, reads the mechanics of a game and sprints about into danger and wonders why they are thirsty or hungry or why their character whining and groaning - the lack of situational awareness is mind boggling.

For me, even at level one with tier 1 crap I have a few honey on me already a pot and grill and a camp out spot - day 1.

I believe this is a you thing.

14 hours ago, Fenris said:

Perhaps it's the preacher's armor. For me, the problem is often weakness and dislocations. I play with brass knuckles and get hit quite often.

I like the title 7 days of artifical tediousness. Since v1.0 is 100% focused about making everything as tedious as possible to stretch out the early game as the game has no mid or late game at all.

On 7/22/2024 at 12:34 AM, ASSedOutnTN said:

Well for one there is a invisible debuff the player gets when they are hit more than once in a short period, and this debuff lowers your crit resist for every hit after the first, if you take 2-3 hits your most likely going to get some status ailament early game. Trick is if you get hit once RUN AWAY, don't try to face tank it.

Did 3 playthroughs on Warrior dificulty and mostly snow and wasteland biome looting and questing, but had full crate of first aid bandages and bunch of honey, first aids and everything left at dy 42 when I usually get bored and stop playing. Meds has been reduced some, but never run out of meds ( except maybe on day 1 and 2 ).
IMO meds should be reduced even more.