Is it time for screamers to be removed?

Perhaps there needs to be a cap on how many screamers can show up within a certain time frame... and maybe have the value adjusted by the biome, so that in forest you could have at most, ~5 screamers across N time., but the wasteland might allow 10 screamers in that time frame, still allowing things to get crazy- but having a lid in place so you know, even at worst, there will be an end to the crazy.

They have definitely made it easier to for screamers to spawn.  I was just in Hogzilla Ranch, not in there for more than 2 minutes, and fired off about 30 rounds from my AK.  Lo and behold, a radiated screamer spawns.  After 30 rounds??? Are you kidding me???  This was in the burnt forest biome on day 37.  I think TFP went overboard on the screamers for v1.0.  Hopefully that gets adjusted moving forward.

30 shots of AK (0.9 "heat") is 27%, so yep, chance to spawn a radiated screamer, or two. I do wonder if anyone there actually does full playthroughs, and not just testing specific things.

14 hours ago, Riamus said:

They can trigger every 25% instead of only at 100%.  The chance they trigger is lower but you will seem to get them sooner.  It is more that they are coming in pairs of radiated screamers now.  I rarely saw a radiated screamer before 1.0.  Now it seems like that is all there are.

Nope, you can get normal screamers, as those are the only ones I have seen so far and I now had 4 instances in my current playthrough where they spawned in.  I have not seen a feral or a radiated screamer yet.  For reference, I checked my game this morning before I left for work and I am on Day 20 and my game stage is in the 60s.  Note radiated screamers don't seem (based on the code) to increase the level of the mini horde they spawn in, they are just a bit tougher to take down compared to normal screamers (500 hp vs 150 hp).

On my second play through using sledge hammers and as aside from the game being more broken than ever balance wise the screamers have already started showing up just from using 1 forge and a campfire. Thankfully it was like day 4 maybe so it was a normal screamer but with how easier they spawn now I don't want to be on constantly having to baby sit how much heat I produce and will probably stick with traders to get resources since it's sorta easier doing quests and picking the steel rewards and infested for massive ammo surplus.

It's crazy that even after 10 years the balance and enemies are still so messed up. Isn't this supposed to be the big gold release? 

5 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Nope, you can get normal screamers, as those are the only ones I have seen so far and I now had 4 instances in my current playthrough where they spawned in.  I have not seen a feral or a radiated screamer yet.  For reference, I checked my game this morning before I left for work and I am on Day 20 and my game stage is in the 60s.  Note radiated screamers don't seem (based on the code) to increase the level of the mini horde they spawn in, they are just a bit tougher to take down compared to normal screamers (500 hp vs 150 hp).

Like I said, it "seems" like that.  Obviously there are normal screamers.  In fact, I finally saw one last night.  But I saw no screamers at all until I started seeing double and triple radiated screamers.  Which is why I said it seemed that way.  But not that it was that way.

20 hours ago, Riamus said:

They can trigger every 25% instead of only at 100%.  The chance they trigger is lower but you will seem to get them sooner.  It is more that they are coming in pairs of radiated screamers now.  I rarely saw a radiated screamer before 1.0.  Now it seems like that is all there are.

Thanks for the heads up 👍

I don't remember the screamers and their hordes ever attacking bases.    I tried to despawn one by leading it away from my base.    It never came out.   I went in and found it had broken down a wall and destroyed my torch.    Then, I had several screamers, and a large horde ignored me for my forge.   Well until my forge was broken and I did not last long afterwards.   

On 7/17/2024 at 1:27 AM, Riamus said:

Well, I finally had screamers show up.  First as soon as I loaded the game, 2 radiated screams appear and call in reinforcements.  Then right before I exited the game, 2 more radiated screamers showed up and called in reinforcements, including another radiated screamer.  Maybe it is a bit much now.  At least it should only have 1 screamer to begin with and then a chance of another being called.  Right now, it starts with 2.

Not a big deal really.  I'll have to put up some guns to deal with them.  But still a little overkill.

Hops you like tower defense lol. My base on console fell and I'm hiding away 

I am surprised to have them spawn when I used power tools on a POI. Here's the note from B316 -- I don't know what it means, but I did understand that there would be more screamers -- of course, I'm playing on Adventurer, so not as much of an issue for me as for those playing on harder difficulty levels:

• Improved screamer spawning rules to account for a wider range of player activity (ActivityLevelToSpawn 100>25, SpawnChance .7>.2, CooldownDelay 15>4, CooldownLongDelay 22, CooldownNeighborDelay 4>3)

29 minutes ago, avalonnn said:

I am surprised to have them spawn when I used power tools on a POI.

Auger on metal is Hot, you used to get plenty of screamies while mining metals.. Now, for what I understand about that patch note (not much tbh :D ), you might easily be summoning one or more per Gun Safe, if unlucky.

I turned on my furnace -- and my chem station -- moments later, opened the door. TWO SCREAMERS RIGHT OUTSIDE. Okay, the change has added some excitement and unpredictability but maybe it's a little sensitive? I mean, I'll run with it. But if I so much as turn a campfire on I'm going to go up the roof and scout about for darn screamers.