My FPS doesn't match my hardware?

Hello everyone, everything good? Good evening, I apologize in advance if there are any typos, I don't speak English and therefore I am using a translator.

Well, moving forward, I would like to ask for the community's help. I'm a new 7days player and first of all I understand that the game is extremely poorly optimized, however, only I among my friends are experiencing absurd drops in FPS, friends who have inferior hardware to mine. Currently I'm the one hosting the server, it's a common online server where I play with 4 other friends and the FPS is ok while we're at home, but if we look for items in houses with 5 stars or more my game drops to 50-60 SPF to 20-30 FPS. My question is whether this happens because I am hosting the server or for any other reason. I'll leave my settings below and the settings of a friend who has a smaller computer than mine.

My computer: i7 3770

16gb RAM 1600mhz

SSD

Nvidia geforce 1060ti 6gb

A friend's PC:

FX6300

8gb ram

HD

Radeon 470

We both play through Xbox gamepass.

Note: I'm currently playing with literally all settings at the lowest possible resolution of 1980x1060 (or something similar) His FPS is the same as mine even using some better graphics options, however, when picking up items in 5-star buildings his FPS doesn't drop below 35.

Hello everyone, everything good? Good evening, I apologize in advance if there are any typos, I don't speak English and therefore I am using a translator.

Well, moving forward, I would like to ask for the community's help. I'm a new 7days player and first of all I understand that the game is extremely poorly optimized, however, only I among my friends are experiencing absurd drops in FPS, friends who have inferior hardware to mine. Currently I'm the one hosting the server, it's a common online server where I play with 4 other friends and the FPS is ok while we're at home, but if we look for items in houses with 5 stars or more my game drops to 50-60 SPF to 20-30 FPS. My question is whether this happens because I am hosting the server or for any other reason. I'll leave my settings below and the settings of a friend who has a smaller computer than mine.

My computer:

i7 3770

16gb RAM 1600mhz

SSD

Nvidia geforce 1060ti 6gb

A friend's PC:

FX6300

8gb ram

HD

Radeon 470

We both play through Xbox gamepass.

Note: I'm currently playing with literally all settings at the lowest possible resolution of 1980x1060 (or something similar) His FPS is the same as mine even using some better graphics options, however, when picking up items in 5-star buildings his FPS doesn't drop below 35.

Server log from the day I went to get items from the level 7 building in a big city: https://pastebin.com/fFXqpeqk

server log on our last blood moon It was not possible to put it in pastebin, so I will leave the file here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wLnEYE-z73wIixIlDRTFY2LzrZKBWcRk/view?usp=drive_link

Note: I didn't mention it before, but I use 2 mods, one for the interface and one to see the zombies' life bar.

You could all try joining a dedicated server to compare the experience. If your performance markedly improves then you’ll know it is due to hosting. 

I suspect it is because your RAM specs are low for hosting but a quick trial of joining a dedicated server should clinch it for you.

11 hours ago, matheusgbr15 said:

Server log from the day I went to get items from the level 7 building in a big city: https://pastebin.com/fFXqpeqk

server log on our last blood moon It was not possible to put it in pastebin, so I will leave the file here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wLnEYE-z73wIixIlDRTFY2LzrZKBWcRk/view?usp=drive_link

Note: I didn't mention it before, but I use 2 mods, one for the interface and one to see the zombies' life bar.

Neither of you have system specs capable of hosting an MP game. As Roland stated, you can try joining a dedicated server hosted elsewhere to see if that improves things, but your hardware is just way too old to expect decent framerates.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Neither of you have system specs capable of hosting an MP game. As Roland stated, you can try joining a dedicated server hosted elsewhere to see if that improves things, but your hardware is just way too old to expect decent framerates

Wow, this sucks, we were having fun with the game. The only one who isn't really able to play is me. My friends, even though they have an inferior computer, are managing to maintain a slightly better frame rate.

Is there any solution I can take without having to upgrade my computer hardware so we can play now?

When you say playing on a dedicated server hosted elsewhere, do you mean playing on public servers on other hosts? Our intention was to play between just the 5 of us and with the possibility of changing the game settings when necessary.

Edited by matheusgbr15 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

Increasing latency with a VPN won't help the issue of having a CPU and RAM that is too weak for the game.

Actually, according to someone else who used this, latency will go down, not up.

On top of that, this works as a P2P connection, so no one is actually hosting.

If I understand that correctly it's more like a P2P game with more than 2 players.

But you won't know until you try it I guess.

As far as upgrades go, I would look at your system to see if you can upgrade your CPU/RAM at a reasonable price, your friend's computer wouldn't be worth it at all, since the FX -> Ryzen will require a new motherboard, although it may be best for one or both of you to get a very budget build that's more modern. Thing is, the nature of this game requires a very strong CPU/RAM setup as well as an SSD (HDD can play, but it will be pretty choppy). Both of you would benefit from a host that has more modern hardware, so a server rental would be great. If you dont mind turning off some bells and whistles in the graphics options, you really don't even need a dedicated GPU for this game, a ryzen APU can do it, long as it's a strong CPU and you've got enough fast ram (45-60FPS on the steam deck is very possible), where you would get horrible performance in a GPU-bound game like Call of Duty/the like.

So, in summary, these things can help:

• Having a stronger host (e.g. server provider)
  • Turning off Dynamic Mesh in the Options, along with settings you've already touched (resolution is the big key here, try using Dynamic Resolution set to Scale, and put it around 75%). You may want to lower the dynamic music percentage, or turn it off
  • Lower the max zombie count
  • Lower the max animal count 
  • Use a smaller map, like 6k, with towns/cities set to Few, and try to lower other things like Craters and Mountains, to make it a little more flat (saving ram)
  • Try to avoid mass placing CPU-intensive things, like turrets/cameras at bases

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

As far as upgrades go, I would look at your system to see if you can upgrade your CPU/RAM at a reasonable price, your friend's computer wouldn't be worth it at all, since the FX -> Ryzen will require a new motherboard, although it may be best for one or both of you to get a very budget build that's more modern. Thing is, the nature of this game requires a very strong CPU/RAM setup as well as an SSD (HDD can play, but it will be pretty choppy). Both of you would benefit from a host that has more modern hardware, so a server rental would be great. If you dont mind turning off some bells and whistles in the graphics options, you really don't even need a dedicated GPU for this game, a ryzen APU can do it, long as it's a strong CPU and you've got enough fast ram (45-60FPS on the steam deck is very possible), where you would get horrible performance in a GPU-bound game like Call of Duty/the like.

So, in summary, these things can help:

• Having a stronger host (e.g. server provider)
  • Turning off Dynamic Mesh in the Options, along with settings you've already touched (resolution is the big key here, try using Dynamic Resolution set to Scale, and put it around 75%). You may want to lower the dynamic music percentage, or turn it off
  • Lower the max zombie count
  • Lower the max animal count 
  • Use a smaller map, like 6k, with towns/cities set to Few, and try to lower other things like Craters and Mountains, to make it a little more flat (saving ram)
  • Try to avoid mass placing CPU-intensive things, like turrets/cameras at bases

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately this is as far as my hardware can go. Upgrading would require me to change the motherboard, memory sticks and processor, as my current processor is the best my motherboard can achieve. I'm sad but I see that the only possible solution will be to hire a server, since I have the best hardware among my 4 friends (even though mine is still very old, it's still better than theirs).

I would think that board could manage a 3930k. With a good cooler you can overclock it nicely to about 4.5GHz, and that would almost double your performance. 

My previous system was an i7-3930k with 48GB DDR3-1833 and a 1060. It was capable enough to average about 90FPS. Though I have not tested on that platform with a21 in a while.  I may have to setup on that system again.

Edited by SylenThunder (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, matheusgbr15 said:

Unfortunately this is as far as my hardware can go. Upgrading would require me to change the motherboard, memory sticks and processor, as my current processor is the best my motherboard can achieve. I'm sad but I see that the only possible solution will be to hire a server, since I have the best hardware among my 4 friends (even though mine is still very old, it's still better than theirs).

Sylen's advice is good if that's a route you can go. But yeah, don't forget when you're hosting there's a lot more the CPU/RAM/Storage have to do, like ai calculations for all players (and all the management for players), extra networking data processing, some encryption and whatnot, so it can certainly push a setup over the edge. Just note that you don't need an expensive rig to do this, I have a secondary computer I use for work that hosts servers (including 7 days, which it can handle 8 players, although things may get a bit laggy if 8 players are on a 10k map high gamestage doing bloodmoons/bases/whatnot) that has a ryzen 3 3200g, 16gb of 3200 ram, nvme in it. The 3200g is likely more expensive now due to it being out of production, but I think I paid maybe 90$ or so for it on a sale, the ram was about 50-60$, and the NVME is a budget one.

21 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Sylen's advice is good if that's a route you can go. But yeah, don't forget when you're hosting there's a lot more the CPU/RAM/Storage have to do, like ai calculations for all players (and all the management for players), extra networking data processing, some encryption and whatnot, so it can certainly push a setup over the edge. Just note that you don't need an expensive rig to do this, I have a secondary computer I use for work that hosts servers (including 7 days, which it can handle 8 players, although things may get a bit laggy if 8 players are on a 10k map high gamestage doing bloodmoons/bases/whatnot) that has a ryzen 3 3200g, 16gb of 3200 ram, nvme in it. The 3200g is likely more expensive now due to it being out of production, but I think I paid maybe 90$ or so for it on a sale, the ram was about 50-60$, and the NVME is a budget one.

Thank you for all the support you offered. I came to find an answer to why I felt such an impact on my FPS even though it had the best hardware configuration and I found this answer.

Unfortunately my computer does not support hosting the server. Unfortunately in Brazil computer parts are not that cheap, it would be difficult to find anything around that price here. Well, the way will be to save money.

Taking advantage of this answer, I will respond to Sylen as well. I don't really know how to work with overclocking, I'll take a look, but maybe the work of learning and buying a new one would be worse than saving up enough to change everything, thank you very much too.

EN:

Since our colleague is brazilian like me i'm going to post in portuguese below to make things easy for him.

Overclocking the CPU will likely give you the best improvement. I'm brazilian too and I know how much things are expensive around here and for your motherboard (assuming its a LGA1155) you already have the best CPU for desktop available. You could buy a Xeon 1200 series in AliExpress for around BRL250 but it's too risky and the performance improvement is negligible.

To overclock things with Intel CPUs you can use Intel XTU. Its a tuning utility but I don't know if its still usable since Intel blocked some features because of the Plundervolt exploit (undervolting for example is locked up and there's no way around it).

You can ask one of your friends to host a multiplayer game for you to test also. Hosting survival games is very resource intensive, googling around internet I saw some people talking that CPUs with 4.0+Ghz is strongly advised.

Lastly, turn of the Dynamic Mesh in-game. It helps a lot with FPS stability.

PT-BR:

Falar em PT também pra facilitar (não sei se é permitido então deixei em inglês ali em cima).

Fazer um Overclock na CPU pela sua configuração é a melhor tentativa pra melhorar essa performance. Pelo que vi do LGA1155 seu i7 já é o melhor disponível, acima disso só Xeon série 1200 e só vai encontrar no AliExpress por volta de uns 250 reais só que não vale a pena o risco e ele nem é tão melhor assim.

Baixa o Intel XTU pra mexer no clock do processador, eu não sei se ainda funciona porque quando estourou aquela vulnerabilidade do Plundervolt a Intel simplesmente bloqueou várias funcionalidades desse programa pra prevenir o exploit (undervolt por exemplo que eu usava ficou bloqueado).

E fala pra algum dos seus amigos criar um game só pra você entrar lá pra testar, provavelmente vai rodar liso. Dei uma googlada pela net e muita gente falando que pra rodar um dedicado a CPU tem que ser pelo menos 4.0+Ghz se for jogar na mesma máquina.

E desliga o Dynamic Mesh no jogo. Melhora bastante a estabilidade do FPS.

edit: try disabling EAC too, I think it increases resource usage and try to tweak your Windows (background processes, game mode, etc) / tenta desabilitar o EAC também, acho que ele come recursos da máquina e tenta dar uma tunada no seu Windows (diminuir os processos em segundo plano, ver se o modo de jogos tá ligado, etc).

Edited by Xenogears (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Xenogears said:

EN:

Since our colleague is brazilian like me i'm going to post in portuguese below to make things easy for him.

Overclocking the CPU will likely give you the best improvement. I'm brazilian too and I know how much things are expensive around here and for your motherboard (assuming its a LGA1155) you already have the best CPU for desktop available. You could buy a Xeon 1200 series in AliExpress for around BRL250 but it's too risky and the performance improvement is negligible.

To overclock things with Intel CPUs you can use Intel XTU. Its a tuning utility but I don't know if its still usable since Intel blocked some features because of the Plundervolt exploit (undervolting for example is locked up and there's no way around it).

You can ask one of your friends to host a multiplayer game for you to test also. Hosting survival games is very resource intensive, googling around internet I saw some people talking that CPUs with 4.0+Ghz is strongly advised.

Lastly, turn of the Dynamic Mesh in-game. It helps a lot with FPS stability.

PT-BR:

Falar em PT também pra facilitar (não sei se é permitido então deixei em inglês ali em cima).

Fazer um Overclock na CPU pela sua configuração é a melhor tentativa pra melhorar essa performance. Pelo que vi do LGA1155 seu i7 já é o melhor disponível, acima disso só Xeon série 1200 e só vai encontrar no AliExpress por volta de uns 250 reais só que não vale a pena o risco e ele nem é tão melhor assim.

Baixa o Intel XTU pra mexer no clock do processador, eu não sei se ainda funciona porque quando estourou aquela vulnerabilidade do Plundervolt a Intel simplesmente bloqueou várias funcionalidades desse programa pra prevenir o exploit (undervolt por exemplo que eu usava ficou bloqueado).

E fala pra algum dos seus amigos criar um game só pra você entrar lá pra testar, provavelmente vai rodar liso. Dei uma googlada pela net e muita gente falando que pra rodar um dedicado a CPU tem que ser pelo menos 4.0+Ghz se for jogar na mesma máquina.

E desliga o Dynamic Mesh no jogo. Melhora bastante a estabilidade do FPS.

edit: try disabling EAC too, I think it increases resource usage and try to tweak your Windows (background processes, game mode, etc) / tenta desabilitar o EAC também, acho que ele come recursos da máquina e tenta dar uma tunada no seu Windows (diminuir os processos em segundo plano, ver se o modo de jogos tá ligado, etc).

Vou te responder em português mesmo. Obrigado cara, por tentar me ajudar também. Acabei de comprar um kit de hardware novo, espero que ele supra a necessidade do jogo. Comprei um Ryzen 5 5600+16gb RAM ddr 4 3200mhz e uma placa mãe msi b550m pro-vdh wifi. Será que agora consigo hostear um servidor?

19 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Rent a server. It's cheap.

Would using a contract server only improve my experience or would all my friends experience some performance improvement?

23 hours ago, Jugginator said:

I just purchased an MSI B550M pro-vdh Wifi motherboard + Ryzen 5 5600 + 16gb RAM ddr4 3200mhz. Do you think this can solve my problem? I'm hosting a server for 5 people including me on the neztgen map (I think it's spelled like that) with 6000x or something in size. The only setting I increased was from zombies on the blood moon from 8 to 12. I also wanted to know about the possibility of hiring a server. Would my friends also notice significant improvements in performance or just me as the host?

2 hours ago, matheusgbr15 said:

I just purchased an MSI B550M pro-vdh Wifi motherboard + Ryzen 5 5600 + 16gb RAM ddr4 3200mhz. Do you think this can solve my problem? I'm hosting a server for 5 people including me on the neztgen map (I think it's spelled like that) with 6000x or something in size. The only setting I increased was from zombies on the blood moon from 8 to 12. I also wanted to know about the possibility of hiring a server. Would my friends also notice significant improvements in performance or just me as the host?

I likely would have spent just a tad more and gotten something like a 5800x, especially if you want to host, but that setup should do well for 5 or so players; I have no idea what you mean about neztgen, unless you mean Navezgane the default map? That zombie increase should be fine, I would keep an eye on your RAM though -- 16gb is well enough, but you may run low with 5 players, if you're hosting it and playing on the same machine. 

If your friends get better performance or not depends if the server is overloaded or not. Performance measurement on that end -- i.e. your clients -- will be of networking (such as rubber banding, warping around, general networking lag); it won't be a direct FPS boost if you're hosting or another provider is, the work on the client end will be offloaded on the host.

5 hours ago, Jugginator said:

I likely would have spent just a tad more and gotten something like a 5800x, especially if you want to host, but that setup should do well for 5 or so players; I have no idea what you mean about neztgen, unless you mean Navezgane the default map? That zombie increase should be fine, I would keep an eye on your RAM though -- 16gb is well enough, but you may run low with 5 players, if you're hosting it and playing on the same machine. 

If your friends get better performance or not depends if the server is overloaded or not. Performance measurement on that end -- i.e. your clients -- will be of networking (such as rubber banding, warping around, general networking lag); it won't be a direct FPS boost if you're hosting or another provider is, the work on the client end will be offloaded on the host.

Hey! I really need your help or anyone else who can. After talking amongst ourselves we decided to rent a server, and at first everything was going well. My friends who play on Steam can access the game, however, me and another friend who played on GamePass have the error: ''Unable to connect to the server ID''

7 minutes ago, matheusgbr15 said:

Hey! I really need your help or anyone else who can. After talking amongst ourselves we decided to rent a server, and at first everything was going well. My friends who play on Steam can access the game, however, me and another friend who played on GamePass have the error: ''Unable to connect to the server ID''

A log from the server and their client would be useful.

Your friend has the Lam Alternative HUD mod 2, which is for Alpha 20 and should not be used in Alpha 21. Working HP Bar also is not properly updated. They should just delete those and make sure that they have nuked all previous version data.

The server does throw a socket connection error when starting up. Ensure that the ports are open and available.

It does get to where it shows it has connected to Steam/EoS, and is live, but the log does not extend any past that.

Friend is getting connection failure message, and I don't see any connection from them on the server. In addition to the host checking that the server ports are available, they should be sure to exclude the client and save folders from security software. This is covered in the Pinned FAQ Thread.