Does it need to rain every friggen day?

ElCabong

6 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

It's a coding reason.  The devs don't want to spend processing time to calculate if and where it rains in the world and then have rain catchers fill up.

Oh, I can't see it taking up a lot of cycles, but what do I know.

I mean they already have to calculate if and where it rains, although I guess that does mean then it needs to check each and every rain collector, which with some people that could be a lot. Especially in MP.

On 8/19/2023 at 5:15 PM, Krougal said:

Yeah, it's horrible but easily modable at least.

I highly recommend "Less Rain" by Pahbi.

Or just edit your biomes.xml to your own prefs.

Thanks. It didn't make it go away entirely. I didn't want it to go away entirely. It rains every now and then which is just fine.

10 hours ago, Krougal said:

Oh, I can't see it taking up a lot of cycles, but what do I know.

I mean they already have to calculate if and where it rains, although I guess that does mean then it needs to check each and every rain collector, which with some people that could be a lot. Especially in MP.

There have been a multitude of discussions on this topic already and the lead dev behind weather coding has stated (as far as I understand) that weather is not tracked in unloaded chunks because, for all intents and purposes, weather only exists where the player is. Weather does not happen anywhere else.

That's not to say they can't make changes to make it work that way. However they stated at the time that the time and effort needed to make those changes aren't worth it. Coding resources are best spent elsewhere.

12 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

It's a coding reason.  The devs don't want to spend processing time to calculate if and where it rains in the world and then have rain catchers fill up.

Really I think that's not a real reason, they just don't want it.

I would think if they really wanted to have it work like this, there would surely be a way to get it done without impact on game performance.

I mean the game does check if it rains and the player is outside, for the "debuff" that you're wet...which currently has absolutely no effect either, and they stil leave it in, although it should have that impact on performance I guess, or does it not?

If not they could just do that check for the dew collectors (even without "insode or outside" because they can only be built outside),

and then do something like "if wet fill one jar" or whatever.

And when the player isn't in the chunk, they could add a random chance to them being filled when the player returns which just equals the general probability of bad weather.

So when you return and find your collector full, fine then from your point of view it probably rained when you were away.

And it doesn't matter if it wasn't really raining at that place and time, calculated in real time, because you wouldn't notice it anyway.

Just an example, I'm sure there can be many ways to figure out how it could be done in a simple way.

In fact isn't this a rather common thing in coding in general? There are so many other things in this game where stuff that you don't see anyway isn't calculated in real time.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Last I checked you could still drink from them.  Or were you thinking something else?

Well yeah, but you can't use them for drinking if you don't have a water purifier (well I guess you can if you don't mind @%$#ting yourself)

13 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

I can't, what version are you running?

Sneak with an empty hand and you'll get the option to drink.

7 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

There have been a multitude of discussions on this topic already and the lead dev behind weather coding has stated (as far as I understand) that weather is not tracked in unloaded chunks because, for all intents and purposes, weather only exists where the player is. Weather does not happen anywhere else.

That's not to say they can't make changes to make it work that way. However they stated at the time that the time and effort needed to make those changes aren't worth it. Coding resources are best spent elsewhere.

Wasn't aware of that. Yes, it makes sense.