[A21] khzmusik's Modlets

khzmusik

If anyone is curious, this is the link I was going to post previously:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/play/media/2QGL7MYQC8

It is a video capture that shows a WIP feature of the Whisperers. When set on fire, they thrash around and scream a lot, overriding any other activity like attacking. It's not bad as it is, but still needs work. Once I get it ready I'm going to add it to all my NPCs.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, khzmusik said:

I assume you mean my stripper zombie. If so, the easiest thing to do is to remove them from the spawn groups.

Open entitygroups.xml and comment out or remove all the XPath XML that adds "zombieFemaleStripperKhz" and their variants. It starts on line 225 and ends on line 280 (as of this writing).

That's also a good way to get rid of the "party girl" zombie, but she's in a lot more places.

Moderator note: don’t be afraid to add links. We’ll approve them as soon as we can, and the system keeps it flagged after editing them out anyway. :)

That's what I thought & did it, but kept getting them. Then I realized my mistake... I had done it in my local files but not the server files. Lol. One of those face palm moments. Thank you!

On 9/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, Brugas said:

I believe there was a modlet out there that replaced the party girl/stripper with another model or more clothed variant. I can't remember the name or the modder's collection it's in. Maybe one of the others know it. I know it was a recent (for A21) one and not one of the older versions. With that you wouldn't have to take out an entire swath of mobs for your games and can just change the looks instead.

I've been using that mod to get rid of the "Party Girl" for a while, but the strippers from the mod kept showing up. Got it all fixed now, & no longer have to worry about explaining to the child why that zombie is naked. Lol! She kills me, she never asks why zombies are a thing, & she isn't scared of them, but anything else she is going to ask questions! Lol! Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

I love all the mods pouring out especially with food, which is why I love the "Food Spoilage and Preserved Foods" modlet to help get rid of all the excess food.

I was wonder what is an easy way to either add all the food mods to be affected by this or modify this to affect them, etc. Is it just a "food" tag? Wondering how to go about it, if there was an easier way or breakdown and go through every item in a mod and flag it.

Also, I was thinking about people talking about how easy it is finding the foods from these mods. Perhaps this can add another level of robustness... Since even preserved foods are not always 100% top notch, Grade-A fresh... especially like MRE's and the contents therein... I was thinking that foods can be found in tiers representing stages of freshness and decay... the worse the stage, the less benefits you get from it, and the worse it is, the higher the chances of something bad from eating it.

This way not everything you find is "great" to eat, like it was made today and adds incentive to find better foods. Perhaps another sink or two to get rid of them as well, like the spoilage feature does. Use them in zombie traps/attractants, fertilizer, animal feed, etc, so you can get rid of some of the excess, especially worse tiers, to give them some additional use and get rid of them from the world.

16 hours ago, Brugas said:

I love all the mods pouring out especially with food, which is why I love the "Food Spoilage and Preserved Foods" modlet to help get rid of all the excess food.

I was wonder what is an easy way to either add all the food mods to be affected by this or modify this to affect them, etc. Is it just a "food" tag? Wondering how to go about it, if there was an easier way or breakdown and go through every item in a mod and flag it.

Also, I was thinking about people talking about how easy it is finding the foods from these mods. Perhaps this can add another level of robustness... Since even preserved foods are not always 100% top notch, Grade-A fresh... especially like MRE's and the contents therein... I was thinking that foods can be found in tiers representing stages of freshness and decay... the worse the stage, the less benefits you get from it, and the worse it is, the higher the chances of something bad from eating it.

This way not everything you find is "great" to eat, like it was made today and adds incentive to find better foods. Perhaps another sink or two to get rid of them as well, like the spoilage feature does. Use them in zombie traps/attractants, fertilizer, animal feed, etc, so you can get rid of some of the excess, especially worse tiers, to give them some additional use and get rid of them from the world.

The way the mod adds food spoilage XML tags, is by examining the name attribute of the items. The conditions:

• The item name must start with "food" or "resourceCrop".
  • The item name cannot contain "foodCan" (so canned foods don't spoil).
  • The item name cannot contain "Schematic" or "Magazine" (so pre-A21 recipes and A21 crafting skill magazines don't spoil).

This is done in items.xml in the food spoilage mod. There is more in that file, but it's mainly to customize food spoilage for specific vanilla items.

If other food mods follow these naming conventions, then they should also spoil (at the default rate), provided they load before the food spoilage mod. Mods load in alphabetical order by folder name, so you might have to rename their folders, or rename the food spoilage mod so it starts with "z" or something. If they don't follow those conventions, or if you want their items to spoil at a non-default rate, then you'll have to write a compatibility modlet for them.

The notion of food "tiers" is interesting, but would take a lot of work to implement. The issue is that food is stackable, and the item quality you see underneath the food item represents the remaining time for one item in the stack to spoil. So once an item spoils, the quality starts over at 100% again. This means you can't use that value to represent the "tier" of the stack.

To represent different tiers, you could make each tier be an entirely different item in items.xml. To make the bar color different, set the "QualityTierLevel" to whichever tier you want ("1" through "6" as with weapons or armor). Depending on what you want to happen, you could have that item "spoil" to the same food but at one lower tier. Keep in mind that each tier would be a separate stack.

However, if that's the way you do it, I don't think you can hook into the crafting system the same way armor or weapons do, where the higher your crafting level the higher the tier you can craft (or in this case, cook). In order to do that, you'd have to make the food items have a "quality" level, and items with a quality level don't stack. Now, maybe that's something you want - I've seen it in other games - but not being able to stack food is a pretty big change for most players.

You could get around this by having different recipes for the different items (e.g. "blueberry pie level 1" and "blueberry pie level 2"), and have each recipe unlock at a different crafting tier. Or, you could just have the current recipe unlock a specific tier, and all food cooked by the player would start at that tier. (Maybe the next-highest tier, and the highest tier could only be looted, the same way tier 6 armor or weapons can only be looted?)

Since my mod is for a general audience, I don't think it's appropriate for me to include any of that in my mod. But hopefully that will give you some ideas which you can use to implement your own version. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Mentos said:

I added the better dew collecter and i run in issue with that when i open i see 1 water and than when i open i see full and when i add new it wont work on the new ones i need to restart the server is there a way to fix it?

I assume "better dew collecter" means my "Rain Collector" mod, correct? (And not the "Murky Dew" modlet.)

If so, I'm not sure I understand the issue. When you say "when I add new it won't work on the new ones" what new thing are you adding?

If you're adding slots, then yes, you have to restart the server, or at least restart the game executable on the server. There's no way to avoid that. XML files are only read when the game starts, and adding slots is done through XML. It's intentional by TFP, and not something I can "fix."

If it's something else, let me know the details.

1 hour ago, khzmusik said:

The way the mod adds food spoilage XML tags, is by examining the name attribute of the items. The conditions:

• The item name must start with "food" or "resourceCrop".
  • The item name cannot contain "foodCan" (so canned foods don't spoil).
  • The item name cannot contain "Schematic" or "Magazine" (so pre-A21 recipes and A21 crafting skill magazines don't spoil).

This is done in items.xml in the food spoilage mod. There is more in that file, but it's mainly to customize food spoilage for specific vanilla items.

If other food mods follow these naming conventions, then they should also spoil (at the default rate), provided they load before the food spoilage mod. Mods load in alphabetical order by folder name, so you might have to rename their folders, or rename the food spoilage mod so it starts with "z" or something. If they don't follow those conventions, or if you want their items to spoil at a non-default rate, then you'll have to write a compatibility modlet for them.

Thanks, I'll use this for a start.
Yeah I totally forgot about the "stacking" issue. Was also thinking about trying to use the "spoilage" timer to determine freshness state too, but that may be too much as well.
May indeed have to rethink it... instead of tiers, maybe just anything not "preserved" or "canned", have something like a "stale" or unfresh status which gives reduced stats/bonuses. However, either finding enough can give you the recipe, or find the recipes through additional means, will give you the ability to make them fresh (fresh variants), which have full benefits. I may be overthinking it...  I do want the food-sinks like the spoilage status to help get rid of excess food and keep it desirable, so maybe more things in that vein first, then the freshness line of thought can come afterwards.

Thanks again for your input and help!

At long last!

Whisperers Pack for NPC Core

spacer.png

New for A21:

• Whisperers walk like zombies and hide their weapons when wandering, so they are harder to distinguish from zombies.
  • Improved pathing when spawned into hordes.
  • When not attacking, but alert to attacks, Whisperers will crouch to make it harder to see them.
  • Whisperers that are set on fire will now do nothing except thrash around in pain.

Further details should be in the first post soon (as soon as it is approved).

EDIT: I should have mentioned this:
Requires version 21.1.24.928 or higher of the SCore modlet. (Released Aug. 24th.) The improved pathing depends upon a new UAI task that was introduced in that version.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_NPC_Whisperers

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_NPC_Whisperers

Next on the agenda is the Rogues and Psychos pack. (It should be quicker to get that out, since most of the new features were worked out when porting Whisperers.)

Edited by khzmusik
Specify SCore version (see edit history)

Hello khzmusik. 

Firstly I'd like to thank you for all the work you do for this modding community, I and my family have enjoyed your creations over the years.

We love the new civilians and how they keep us aware of our surroundings (shhh did you hear that) their new lines are gold. We have noticed that even though they have names they all show up as civilian when recruited or picked up and replaced. The old version had their names showing, has anyone else reported this? Is it something our end? We will try the whisperers the week sounds awesome. Cheers nismo.

Edited by nismo1969 (see edit history)

16 hours ago, nismo1969 said:

Hello khzmusik. 

Firstly I'd like to thank you for all the work you do for this modding community, I and my family have enjoyed your creations over the years.

We love the new civilians and how they keep us aware of our surroundings (shhh did you hear that) their new lines are gold. We have noticed that even though they have names they all show up as civilian when recruited or picked up and replaced. The old version had their names showing, has anyone else reported this? Is it something our end? We will try the whisperers the week sounds awesome. Cheers nismo.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you're enjoying my mods.

Regarding the names, you're not the first to ask. The current hypothesis is that it's an issue with SCore. Either it's a bug, or (more likely) something changed in A21 and SCore didn't change with it. I am going to take a look at it myself to see if I can figure out what is going on, but I don't know yet if it will be fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, chikuwa said:

Hello. Thanks for a great mod.
Is it possible to get chests etc to store items with the No Crafting mod?
I am having trouble storing items.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been busy over the holidays.

The fact that you have to use containers that you find in the wild, is actually supposed to be part of the challenge. But it is more of a challenge now that most loot containers disappear or become broken once looted. My advice is to not fully loot the containers at your base, and use those for storage.

But, if you want to make chests craftable again, you can do that. There are instructions in the README.md for boiled water, and it's similar, but even easier since you don't need a campfire or cooking pot.

Basically, just add this XML to the bottom of my mod's recipes.xml file:

<remove xpath="//recipe[@name='cntSecureStorageChest']/wildcard_forge_category" />

That should be all you need.

I always intended to make a mod that would either not change some containers to broken when looted, or make the broken ones able to be repaired back to usable containers. It might be a good companion to that mod. But that's going to be on the back burner until I'm finished with NPCs, and that's going to be a while.

They're finally here!

Rogues and Psychos Pack for NPC Core

Adds "Rogue" and "Psycho" human NPCs to the game.

Rogues:

Rogues.thumb.jpg.863577b461f25acee60c5cd341a0b4e8.jpg

Psychos:

Psychos.thumb.jpg.beacf91585c193d8503df3b32e5b5307.jpg

New for A21:

• Custom AI (crouching between attacks, thrashing around when on fire, etc.)
  • Rogue camps and Psycho remnant POIs used as biome decorations
  • For modders: Custom wandering horde groups (not enabled by default)
  • For modders: XML to make "advanced" Rogue characters part of the non-enemy Whiteriver faction (not enabled by default)
  • If using the "advanced" versions that can be hired, custom NPC pickup items (requires SCore version 21.2.31.1132 or later)

See the README.md file for details:

https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/blob/main/1-khzmusik_NPC_Rogues_and_Psychos/README.md

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_NPC_Rogues_and_Psychos

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_NPC_Rogues_and_Psychos

Here's a simple mod that I've been meaning to write for quite a while. It does not require much code, so I was able to get it done very quickly.

I might be the only person who thinks this is a good idea, but if not, then here you go.

No XP from killing

Players do not get any experience points from killing zombies or any other entity.

As a result, the XP notification will not display when a zombie is killed. You can no longer use that notification to determine if a zombie is really dead.

Experience points are otherwise unchanged; you still get the same XP from crafting, looting, mining, or doing quests. You may want to increase the XP multiplier to make up for the lost XP from killing.

I created this mod to lessen the incentive for killing dangerous enemies, so players will have as much incentive to avoid them instead. (It does not entirely remove the incentive for killing enemies; zombies still drop loot bags, and animals can be harvested.)

This steers the game away from being a first-person shooter, and closer to being a survival game.

Features:

• No XP from killing.
  • No XP notification when entities die.
  • New loading screen tip.
  • New journal entry, unlocked on killing an entity for the first time.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_No_XP_From_Killing 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_No_XP_From_Killing 

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

Updated for A21:

Variable NPC Sleepers

This modlet changes the behavior of NPCs spawned into sleeper volumes in POIs (or other prefabs), so that they awake in a way that is more consistent with zombies.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/2-khzmusik_variable_NPC_sleepers 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=2-khzmusik_variable_NPC_sleepers 

-----

There are also version updates for the Rogues and Psychos and Whisperers NPC packs.

Both packs have updates to the "Pick Up" items that you get when you pick up a hired NPC. These changes only affect the "advanced" versions of those NPCs (and only if you hire them).

Additionally, the Whisperers will no longer attack player vehicles. If you want them to attack vehicles, then there is code in the utilityai.xml file to change it.

New mod:

Trader Routes: Biome Progression

This mod changes the "Opening Trade Routes" quests, so they progress through the biomes as the tier changes.

XPath only ("server-side").

Here is where the Opening Trade Routes quests send you:

• Tier 2: Any biome except the Wasteland (unchanged from vanilla)

• Tier 3: Any biome except the Pine Forest or the Wasteland

• Tier 4: Any biome except the Pine Forest

• Tier 5: Snow or Wasteland biomes only (technically, any biome except the Burnt Forest, Desert, or Pine Forest)

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Trade_Routes_Biome_Progression 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_Trade_Routes_Biome_Progression 

-----

There is also a major update to Zombie Pack for NPC Core.

As of version 21.2.1.0, This pack no longer requires SCore or NPC Core. 

As such, the name of the pack changed (since it no longer needs to be named "1-" so it loads after NPC Core). The "old" mod is still in the repo, in case anyone still wants that version.

While there is no detriment to updating my mod, SCore and NPC Core both have changes that significantly alter the game, so removing those modlets is not a good idea. Because of this, if you are using the new version, I recommend starting a new game.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Zombies 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_Zombies 

Good afternoon, big fan of your mods! There are a few questions: 1) How can whisperers be spawned in the world not only as part of hordes? 2) Is there a plan to update the NPC civilian mod, some models unfortunately do not really fit into the world of the game: the male doctor is too bright and clean clothes, the girl in a bright red dress, as well as an elderly woman - rounds in her pocket look like pasta more than rounds :)

P.S. I am writing with the help of a translator, so I apologize for possible mistakes

15 hours ago, for4gerz said:

Good afternoon, big fan of your mods! There are a few questions: 1) How can whisperers be spawned in the world not only as part of hordes? 2) Is there a plan to update the NPC civilian mod, some models unfortunately do not really fit into the world of the game: the male doctor is too bright and clean clothes, the girl in a bright red dress, as well as an elderly woman - rounds in her pocket look like pasta more than rounds :)

P.S. I am writing with the help of a translator, so I apologize for possible mistakes

Welcome, and thanks for the kind words. To answer your questions:

1. If you want, you can get Whisperers to spawn into biome spawn groups as well. Since "advanced" whisperers can't spawn into hordes, I included XML at the bottom of the entitygroups.xml file which will spawn those into biomes. You will need to remove the XML comment tags ("<!--" and "-->") around that XML. In the current version, this starts at line 16965 and ends at line 18592.

That XML adds the "advanced" Whisperers, and if you want the Whisperers to always be enemies, you don't really need those. (It doesn't hurt to use the "advanced" versions, but the "basic" versions are lighter on CPU.) If you want the "basic" versions instead, remove the "npc" prefix from the entity names added to the entity groups (for example, "npcWhispererFemaleKhzMachete" should be "WhispererFemaleKhzMachete"). You can do this in any text editor, using search-and-replace.

2. Unfortunately I am unable to do some of what you want, at least at this time. I create my NPCs using either Fuse or Makehuman, and those have limited clothing options. (The woman with "pasta" for rounds is the closest I could get to a hunting outfit in Fuse). I could re-do those characters, but it would have to be from scratch, and that would take a lot of time.

I am working on an update to those characters, but it won't be to the models or textures - it is to update the AI and to take advantage of new features offered by SCore updates.

If you don't like those characters, my advice is to remove them from the spawn groups in entitygroups.xml. The male doctor is "civilianMaleAgedScrubsKhz", the girl in the red dress is "civilianFemaleYoung5Khz", and the elderly woman with the bullets is "civilianFemaleAgedKhz".

I will probably redo my characters for A22 (especially the rigging - Mixamo is hit or miss), but probably not before then.

4 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Welcome, and thanks for the kind words. To answer your questions:

1. If you want, you can get Whisperers to spawn into biome spawn groups as well. Since "advanced" whisperers can't spawn into hordes, I included XML at the bottom of the entitygroups.xml file which will spawn those into biomes. You will need to remove the XML comment tags ("<!--" and "-->") around that XML. In the current version, this starts at line 16965 and ends at line 18592.

That XML adds the "advanced" Whisperers, and if you want the Whisperers to always be enemies, you don't really need those. (It doesn't hurt to use the "advanced" versions, but the "basic" versions are lighter on CPU.) If you want the "basic" versions instead, remove the "npc" prefix from the entity names added to the entity groups (for example, "npcWhispererFemaleKhzMachete" should be "WhispererFemaleKhzMachete"). You can do this in any text editor, using search-and-replace.

2. Unfortunately I am unable to do some of what you want, at least at this time. I create my NPCs using either Fuse or Makehuman, and those have limited clothing options. (The woman with "pasta" for rounds is the closest I could get to a hunting outfit in Fuse). I could re-do those characters, but it would have to be from scratch, and that would take a lot of time.

I am working on an update to those characters, but it won't be to the models or textures - it is to update the AI and to take advantage of new features offered by SCore updates.

If you don't like those characters, my advice is to remove them from the spawn groups in entitygroups.xml. The male doctor is "civilianMaleAgedScrubsKhz", the girl in the red dress is "civilianFemaleYoung5Khz", and the elderly woman with the bullets is "civilianFemaleAgedKhz".

I will probably redo my characters for A22 (especially the rigging - Mixamo is hit or miss), but probably not before then.

Thank you for the detailed explanation and good luck with your future plans!

Edited by for4gerz (see edit history)

Update available:

Civilians Pack for NPC Core

Features added:

• New AI: crouching when reloading, thrashing around when on fire
  • Custom "pick up" items - specialized per NPC
  • Sound improvements (less "word soup") and additions ("on fire" sounds)

The new version number is 21.1.1.2. It should be compatible with the existing version, and with existing save games (but backup your saves first just in case).

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

----- 

Up next: NPC Survivor Stories. These are backstories for any NPC that you can talk with. Dialog options are driven by custom variables which are randomly generated for each NPC.

On 1/9/2024 at 6:58 PM, khzmusik said:

Update available:

Civilians Pack for NPC Core

Features added:

• New AI: crouching when reloading, thrashing around when on fire
  • Custom "pick up" items - specialized per NPC
  • Sound improvements (less "word soup") and additions ("on fire" sounds)

The new version number is 21.1.1.2. It should be compatible with the existing version, and with existing save games (but backup your saves first just in case).

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_NPC_Civilians 

----- 

Up next: NPC Survivor Stories. These are backstories for any NPC that you can talk with. Dialog options are driven by custom variables which are randomly generated for each NPC.

Cool.  Can't wait for the stories.  It will make the game more immersive with in depth npcs.

• 1 month later...

Hi khzmusik,

Mostly Dead looks very interesting and am wanting to give it a go!

I do have a couple of questions:

How well will this work with overhaul mods like DF and RH (mostly interested in RH but do play both)

Is there a way to setup Mostly Dead so that your character resets after X amount of lives?

Thank you!

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 12:29 PM, junrall said:

Hi khzmusik,

Mostly Dead looks very interesting and am wanting to give it a go!

I do have a couple of questions:

How well will this work with overhaul mods like DF and RH (mostly interested in RH but do play both)

Is there a way to setup Mostly Dead so that your character resets after X amount of lives?

Thank you!

Hey, thanks for the interest. Hope you like it.

The mod contains custom C# code, but as far as I know, it is not code that involves anything used in any other mod. So, it should be compatible with Darkness Falls or Ravenhearst. Having said that, I have not tested it with any overhaul, and in general overhauls are not designed to be modded.

There is no way to set it up so that you start as a new character after X deaths. That's not even something I considered, and it kind of goes against the intent of the "Mostly Dead" playstyle.

Also - I don't know if you learned about the mod from the Evac series by More2Me 4Life (Liz). But, I've been watching that, and I learned that I was probably too generous with the starting items at low player levels. You might want to change that, by bumping up the levels in the "PlayerLevel" properties, in "buffResetPlayerOnDeath". That's in buffs.xml in the mod folder.

This is something I could do, but I'm actually in the middle of re-designing the mod completely. As you probably know, A21.2 introduced permadeath as a vanilla game option. My new plan is to modify that to do "Mostly Dead" instead.

The A21.2 version should not require custom C# code, so it should be EAC safe. (It will probably still have custom icons though, so won't be entirely server-side.)

I can't add a new death penalty setting, so the plan is to replace one of the the death penalty options with "Mostly Dead." That way players could still choose the death penalty setting, and the mod would be suitable for including in overhauls or mod packs.

The natural replacement would be "permadeath." But it could be one of the others: "nothing," "XP only" (the default), or "injured" (keep debuffs and respawn with 50% food/water). It might be worth it to replace one of those instead; that way, players could choose between "permadeath" and "Mostly Dead" with the mod installed. (Does anyone actually use "injured"?)

If any of you all have opinions about this, let me know. There are a lot of things about the new version that I'm in the air about.

EDIT: I have started working on the new "Mostly Dead" because the "survivor stories" is taking a very long time. I keep having ideas that make the stories longer and more complicated (so far it's up to about 500 lines of dialog). If you've been waiting for "Survivor Stories" then be prepared for a longer wait.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

1 hour ago, khzmusik said:

Hey, thanks for the interest. Hope you like it.

The mod contains custom C# code, but as far as I know, it is not code that involves anything used in any other mod. So, it should be compatible with Darkness Falls or Ravenhearst. Having said that, I have not tested it with any overhaul, and in general overhauls are not designed to be modded.

There is no way to set it up so that you start as a new character after X deaths. That's not even something I considered, and it kind of goes against the intent of the "Mostly Dead" playstyle.

Also - I don't know if you learned about the mod from the Evac series by More2Me 4Life (Liz). But, I've been watching that, and I learned that I was probably too generous with the starting items at low player levels. You might want to change that, by bumping up the levels in the "PlayerLevel" properties, in "buffResetPlayerOnDeath". That's in buffs.xml in the mod folder.

This is something I could do, but I'm actually in the middle of re-designing the mod completely. As you probably know, A21.2 introduced permadeath as a vanilla game option. My new plan is to modify that to do "Mostly Dead" instead.

The A21.2 version should not require custom C# code, so it should be EAC safe. (It will probably still have custom icons though, so won't be entirely server-side.)

I can't add a new death penalty setting, so the plan is to replace one of the the death penalty options with "Mostly Dead." That way players could still choose the death penalty setting, and the mod would be suitable for including in overhauls or mod packs.

The natural replacement would be "permadeath." But it could be one of the others: "nothing," "XP only" (the default), or "injured" (keep debuffs and respawn with 50% food/water). It might be worth it to replace one of those instead; that way, players could choose between "permadeath" and "Mostly Dead" with the mod installed. (Does anyone actually use "injured"?)

If any of you all have opinions about this, let me know. There are a lot of things about the new version that I'm in the air about.

EDIT: I have started working on the new "Mostly Dead" because the "survivor stories" is taking a very long time. I keep having ideas that make the stories longer and more complicated (so far it's up to about 500 lines of dialog). If you've been waiting for "Survivor Stories" then be prepared for a longer wait.

Thanks for the reply!

After reading your manifesto, I completely get why resetting a character after x amount of deaths does not fit with Mostly Dead's playstyle. I am currently playing Ravenhearst and am only toying around with this idea for myself. Ravenhearst is so brutal already... giving myself a few lives before a reset seems "fair".  Hahaha

I think I have figured out how to add this feature for myself. I'd have to adjust for Ravenhearst's altered starting quests as well and likely a few other things. Your mod is well documented and easy to sift through so, I think I can pull this off!?? Hahaha... I'm super new at XML stuff but I absolutely have a ton of fun figuring out how make things work!

I am looking forward to the Survival Stories. Anything that makes you feel like you are "there" is always going to be a mod that is added to my game.

• 1 month later...

Since you did the food spoilage, I think you are the guy to ask for this... could you consider a new mod request. Expanded storage for vehicles - not over the top ridiculos like adding C130 cargo storage to a bicycle, but realistic like adding a saddle bags to bicycle/minibike/motorcycle and ...... here's the big one.... also Coolers - little strap on coolers to bicycle, etc... One guy has already modeled the cooler into a vehicle - the flat bottom boat, be nice if your spoilage mod made that appropriately preservative.

also I think yo missed something in the food spoilage for SnoBalls and Twinkies... I see you removed the property Spoilable, but they still spoil. (since they inherit from cornbread??) - I managed to get them to not spoil in my own tweak just thinking you wanted to check yours.