[A21] khzmusik's Modlets

khzmusik

21 hours ago, khzmusik said:

Good news! I just finished the modlet.

Reset Character On Death

When the player dies, this modlet resets the player character's skill points, books read, and crafting skill levels.

When the player character dies:

• Skill points are reset and removed.
  • Books that were read are forgotten.
  • Crafting skill levels are reset to 1.

With XML edits, it can also support these features:

• Bedrolls and beds are no longer spawn points, so players do not spawn on them.
  • There is no experience loss upon respawning.
  • Resetting can be disabled for level 1 players, or for players that still have the "newbie coat" buff.
  • Remembering skill points, books read, or crafting skills.

See the README for details.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Reset_Character_On_Death 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_Reset_Character_On_Death 

Also: While working on this, I discovered that TFP made some changes in A21 that make some of my Mostly Dead C# code redundant. I'm going to update that mod, and the Permadeath extension, to use the new A21 features. I am hoping it will not require a new game, but no promises.

Thank you, but before that, I found a problem. If you die during a blood moon, it will have a great impact on the game experience. So I want to ask if it is possible to stop the generation of zombies when you die during a blood moon? Thank you again.

20 hours ago, Blackmadman said:

Hello, is there a chance that you extend your Showberry mod so that you can grow the berry again?

This should already be possible. Snowberry seeds are unlocked with blueberry seeds, and they can be planted in farm crops and harvested.

16 hours ago, unlcnown82 said:

Thank you, but before that, I found a problem. If you die during a blood moon, it will have a great impact on the game experience. So I want to ask if it is possible to stop the generation of zombies when you die during a blood moon? Thank you again.

I don't know how to do that. If there is a way, I'm pretty sure it would involve C# code, so it would have to go into the "Mostly Dead" modlet instead.

Also, I thought the game used to do that on its own. But that may have been a previous alpha. It's been a long time since I've died in a blood moon.

This thread caught my attention while looking for realistic and survival mods, and may I say, I appreciate all the ideas behind the mods you are creating, I also read the "mostly dead" manifesto, It should be a constitution for any realistic "open world survival craft", I liked the part about overcoming helplessness and eventually losing the immersion in the character/world built, and that's exactly how I felt with these games and I appreciate you putting it in words, I guess Devs will always want to cater to the masses, thus would make grindy mechanics instead of innovative and problem solving ones to avoid intimidating new playes, I don't know

3 hours ago, Jimzawy said:

This thread caught my attention while looking for realistic and survival mods, and may I say, I appreciate all the ideas behind the mods you are creating, I also read the "mostly dead" manifesto, It should be a constitution for any realistic "open world survival craft", I liked the part about overcoming helplessness and eventually losing the immersion in the character/world built, and that's exactly how I felt with these games and I appreciate you putting it in words, I guess Devs will always want to cater to the masses, thus would make grindy mechanics instead of innovative and problem solving ones to avoid intimidating new playes, I don't know

I mean of course they going to cater to the massive. They gotta sale the game not just to a hand full of hardcore players. That called smart business. One of the main reasons why they decided to make it pretty easy to modify the game. I mean for the most part. I'm no coder but learned to do little things. The ones that know wha they doing seem not to have like to much problems compared to a lot of other games. 

To the perma death blood moon thing a few post above... I'm pretty sure if you die and don't move the rest of horde they will not attack anymore. They only will start attacking if they see you or hear you again. 

17 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

I mean of course they going to cater to the massive. They gotta sale the game not just to a hand full of hardcore players. That called smart business. One of the main reasons why they decided to make it pretty easy to modify the game. I mean for the most part. I'm no coder but learned to do little things. The ones that know wha they doing seem not to have like to much problems compared to a lot of other games.

Hello there CWF, I appreciate the replies and I Agree with you, 7d2d Is the most fitting of all survival games, for lots of reasons, namely total world destruction, there are many mechanics that have been added and removed and the devs are still "fiddling" around with the mechanics rather than implementing them, they really put the early in early access, but after taking game balance into consideration, making mechanics toggelable, like with mod, like how water bottles can be brought back into or out of the game seamlessly with mods, among other things, mods are fine and all, but it makes me feel like my gameplay experience is even more lonelier coz I am doing something different from everyone else, plus I like playing on PVE servers... so you know, thats about it

I just fixed a minor bug in the Slow Build mod. I was still using the A20 format for importing vanilla assets, and that has changed for A21. If you tried to drop a box of nails (or hold them in MP) then the game would not be able to find the "sack" mesh.

This is fixed. Since the fix should not break any game saves, it is now at version 21.0.1.1. I recommend downloading and installing the new version.

Thanks for @magejosh for discovering this!

On 7/11/2023 at 4:57 PM, Jimzawy said:

When I'm not playing 7D2D, I'm usually playing other survival games (Subnautica, Raft, lately Forever Skies), so survival games are generally more to my taste. It's saddening to hear Roland talk about putting "fun" as a trump card in gameplay, because when he says that, I hear "instant gratification" or "power fantasy" - the kind of things games like Borderlands or Doom are good at. Not that I don't like those games (I sunk hundreds of hours into the various Borderlands games) but it's not why I play 7D2D.

My ultimate goal with 7D2D would be to make a game where it is challenging to survive with enemy spawning disabled. And where it is just as challenging after the first couple in-game weeks. That's not an easy task (especially the latter, players need to feel as if they're progressing), but it would be cool if it could be done.

Having said that, the 7D2D devs do make efforts to make the survival aspects more challenging, that's why it's no longer trivial to get water. I often disagree with how they do it, but I'll give them credit for trying.

And they made a game that is pretty easy to mod, and is continuously making the modding tools better. They should get a lot of credit for that.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

@khzmusik this probably isn't in your interest but just curious. How hard would it be to make it where all cars act like the police car? Like you would have to lock pick them to get into them or beat on them like the police car. If beat on them then you have that % chance for alarm to go off and spawn zombies. Now this might be where it gets tricky idk. But keeping the emergency vehicles with the sirens but changing the siren on regular vehicles to like a horn constantly goin off like a regular vehicle does. Making it like idk like 30% chance of them going off but also adding to it say like idk 15% chance a screamer being part of the group of zombies that spawn lol..... 

Now I know just adding the code of the police car to all cars and even adding screamer to it probably wouldn't require it being a C# modlet even though it probably look silly with sirens goin off on a regular cars and the flashing emergency lights lol.... but I assume changing the sound to a horn alarm and not having the flashing emergency lights  might make it C# or at least some if it like the changing sound? Or what about using a sound already in game like the vehicles horn just on more of a repeat for X amount of time..... idk it all sounds good in my head but not sure how hard it would be to mod something like that. 

4 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

@khzmusik this probably isn't in your interest but just curious. How hard would it be to make it where all cars act like the police car?

I have not taken a look, because I am not particularly interested myself. However, that feature has been available in Darkness Falls for a very long time. If there is sufficient demand, I could try to mimic it, to the degree possible.

In other news - it looks like TFP made it much easier to do a "permadeath" modlet without C# changes. I'm going to see how far I can take this without running up against broken A21 changes. It may be significant. Stay tuned.

I'm still placing a priority on custom entities though, so please be patient. (It looks like zombies will be independent of NPC Core this time around, but of course human NPCs won't, caveat emptor.)

7 hours ago, hexgirl38 said:

Hi,

I love your mod, khzmusik Quality Of Life, will you be porting this for A21 as well? This is a must have mod imo. Thank you for all your hard work! Have a great day. =]

Sure, I can do that. I don't know how much of it is needed in A21 though.

This time around, I probably will not incorporate Khaine's Lockable Inventory Slots mod. Nearly everyone who wants that knows to get it from him, and if we both have it, then there will be conflicts. EDIT: Plus he was talking about finding a way to save the slots, and if he figured it out then his modlet is better anyway.

I will put the rest in though.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, hexgirl38 said:

Hi,

I love your mod, khzmusik Quality Of Life, will you be porting this for A21 as well? This is a must have mod imo. Thank you for all your hard work! Have a great day. =]

Done.

Quality of Life

Features:

• The "already read book" icon is now a semi-translucent green check mark. Inspired by this post on the forums: Mod that lets you know you've already read a book?
  • The time it takes to scrap or smelt brass is reduced by half.
  • If you have the required knowledge to craft ammo bundles, you can craft them from loose ammo (not just from raw materials).
  • Dropped loot bags stick around for 60 (real-time) minutes before despawning. (New for A21.)
  • Anvils can be scrapped for iron, or smelted in the forge. (New for A21.)

This version does not contain Khaine's Lockable Inventory slots, but it can be enabled in XML. See the README for details.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Quality_Of_Life

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_Quality_Of_Life 

In other news: I'm working on the A21 version of my zombies. For this update, every zombie will have feral and radiated versions.

But I could not figure out how to get them to work without SCore and NPC Core, so you will need to get those two packs.

I will announce here when it's done. Next on the list after that is Survivors.

Came over from the NPC Mod thread.  I don't use many mods but it seems most of them that I do use are yours like the murky dew collector and rain collector.  I'm thinking of trying the Polluted Water one as well.   I used the Food Spoilage in A20 but I am debating if I want to use it in A21 yet.  Might save that for a second play-through for added challenge.

Just want to cast a vote for working on khzmusik_Civilians when you have time.  Thanks.

Edited by DrunkZombie (see edit history)

5 hours ago, DrunkZombie said:

Came over from the NPC Mod thread.  I don't use many mods but it seems most of them that I do use are yours like the murky dew collector and rain collector.  I'm thinking of trying the Polluted Water one as well.   I used the Food Spoilage in A20 but I am debating if I want to use it in A21 yet.  Might save that for a second play-through for added challenge.

Just want to cast a vote for working on khzmusik_Civilians when you have time.  Thanks.

Glad you like the modlets. And updating the Civilians mod is up next, after I finish updating zombies (which should happen within a day or two).

If there were any reason that I would delay releasing an updated Civilians pack, it would be because I would like to give them all backstories which can be discovered through dialogs. But that is something I can release later.

First, thanks and commendations all around to everyone working to get mods up to a21 standards.  I'm considering the upgrade but it will break deeply involved current game.  I have a lot of questions, considering starting entirely new thread to ask them but since khz is basically the most helpful and knowledgeable person in the world I thought Id ask here first. 

(first question, I find with current install of npccore and khzmusic mods, I can lower but not increase my standing with whiteriver.  This means that cumulatively my whiteriver standing has dropped below 200 so all of the 'good guys' shoot at me which I dont like and I cant hire them so i'm running from them rather than lowering further and committing karmic atrocities.  Allies tend to switch to hand to hand any chance they get and I try to help them, but then they jump due to low frame rate and I end up friendly firing them to death, which brings me great sorrow. Or on horde night they are out there in the fog etc. Doing missions for traders does not help this as I would expect it would.  This is prob known issue.  I might be able to magically raise it by changing some number in some entitysomething.xml, which number would I change in a20 version of faction standings?)

The big issue, I'd like to upgrade to a21 but I just dont want to play this game without certain mods anymore.  

-compopack(how did i ever play without this added traumaizing content?)

-npccore

-betterspears(dononvan, lootbags more and longer)

-fpsboost

-wmmcruisecontrol

-betterspikes

-improvedhordes

-khabehemoth

-bettercement

of course

-khzmusic modlets civilians, psychos, zombies

-raiderpack, robotspzck, mechs, spiders, survivors, vaultdwellers,

-sphere skip tutorials

-gans zombies, guppies zombies

I see threads here for improved hordes and npccore, but how can I know what will work with what?  Most easily, or idk.  I'm confused and am trying to research before getting into blind monkey testing phase of things. 

Also side question, in general, what is word on performance on medium tier systems of a21? 

Recent horde night with these mods all on day 50, was wild times.  Perhaps most entertaining horde night ive yet had and that is saying something.  They are somehow emergent, they try different strategies to break through in phases and surprise me, find weak spots I did not know were there.  And did the wwz thing of piling up to flood over walls and almost did.  Having to reload, always the ultimate weakness of human forces against the undead. 

also fwiw pass this one to whoever, the "Pille' building wins most psychologically terrorizing POI ive yet played in 7d. and no reward.  nope, no loot at end of that journey. 

Interesting issue with the Food Spoilage mod.  I seem to have an issue where the cooking magazines are spoiling.  I tested with only your mod, and it didn't happen.  However, with sCore installed, it does.  So I added a line

<remove xpath="/items/item[@name='foodSkillMagazine']/property[@name='Spoilable']" />

Also, with sCore, it gives 
WRN XML patch for "blocks.xml" from mod "khzmusik_Spoilage" did not apply: <setxpath="/blocks/block[@name='ConfigFeatureBlock']/property[@class='FoodSpoilage']" (line 4 at pos 6)

I know it is not your mod, but something slightly goes weird with sCore mixed in.  Not your problem, but a lot of people do use sCore.

Edited by Viscrimson (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Viscrimson said:

Interesting issue with the Food Spoilage mod.  I seem to have an issue where the cooking magazines are spoiling.  I tested with only your mod, and it didn't happen.  However, with sCore installed, it does.  So I added a line

<remove xpath="/items/item[@name='foodSkillMagazine']/property[@name='Spoilable']" />

WRN XML patch for "blocks.xml" from mod "khzmusik_Spoilage" did not apply: <setxpath="/blocks/block[@name='ConfigFeatureBlock']/property[@class='FoodSpoilage']" (line 4 at pos 6)

I know it is not your mod, but something slightly goes weird with sCore mixed in.  Not your problem, but a lot of people do use sCore.

The Food Spoilage mod depends upon SCore, that's the mod that actually implements the food spoilage. So I will take a look at it. It worked fine when I released it, but maybe SCore has made some changes and my modlet needs to be updated.

The issue with magazines spoiling is probably my fault. I ported the code from A20, which obviously didn't have magazines, and I think the magazines were selected by mistake.

On 7/18/2023 at 4:38 PM, DoctorGreen said:

(first question, I find with current install of npccore and khzmusic mods, I can lower but not increase my standing with whiteriver.  This means that cumulatively my whiteriver standing has dropped below 200 so all of the 'good guys' shoot at me which I dont like and I cant hire them so i'm running from them rather than lowering further and committing karmic atrocities.  Allies tend to switch to hand to hand any chance they get and I try to help them, but then they jump due to low frame rate and I end up friendly firing them to death, which brings me great sorrow. Or on horde night they are out there in the fog etc. Doing missions for traders does not help this as I would expect it would.  This is prob known issue.  I might be able to magically raise it by changing some number in some entitysomething.xml, which number would I change in a20 version of faction standings?)

To be honest, that modlet was designed with NPC POIs in mind - there are a lot of quests that depend upon them, and without those quests, it's a lot harder to change your faction standing.

But, one way to do it is to kill the enemies of the faction. So to increase standing with Whiteriver, kill a bunch of bandits. It's not the best solution, but it's probably all you have right now. (And there's no shame in running from NPCs.)

On the plus side, if you've killed that many Whiteriver folks, then probably the bandits will be OK with you. If you're playing with the kinds of bandits that can be hired, then you could hire them.

As for the other mods, speaking only for my own, I intend to port over all the NPC packs. That's next on my list after I finish zombies (which should be soon).

I'd still give A21 a try though. It's possible some of those mods (like better spears) might be unnecessary now.

Also, my "Quality of Life" modlet now includes longer de-spawn times for loot bags. Give it a shot.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:36 PM, DrunkZombie said:

Great, thanks. Backstory and some dialogue would be awesome.

To be clear, my first priority is getting everything out and in parity with A20. Added features (like additional dialogs) will come later. Plus right now I don't even know what the NPCs should say. :) So please be patient.

6 hours ago, Viscrimson said:

The "spoilable magazines" issue should now be fixed. I tested updating the modlet on a the same game save, and I did not have any issues, but YMMV.

I could not reproduce the warning about the SCore config feature block. SCore should be installed, and I double-checked the latest code, it should apply.

The fixed version is 21.0.1.1.

I also updated the first post to hopefully make it clearer that SCore is required for my food spoilage mod.

26 minutes ago, DrunkZombie said:

Perhaps they could talk about what happened to them before you met.  Family killed, last base they lived in overrun, etc...

That's exactly the idea. The dialog options I intend to create are:

• "What did you do before the apocalypse?"
  • "What happened to your group?"
  • "Do you have any family?"
  • "How did you survive?"

There would be different responses according to your standing with their faction, and whether they are hired or not.

In A20, I actually made these dialogs for the whisperers, rogues, and psychos. But since by default the "advanced" versions of these characters don't spawn, and even if they did few people had a good standing with their factions, I'm pretty sure nobody saw them.

Your attention to the issue is much appreciated. I deeply admire your dedication to the community and modding expertise. Your work showcases an impressive level of skill and has left a genuine impact.

Regarding the SCore dependency, my oversight caused my own confusion, and I apologize for that. 

It was fun figuring out the magazine issue. I think the naming convention TFP used for magazines should not start with the category of other items.  Magazines should start with the word magazines like books, ammo, food do.  But it is what it is.  I'm fairly new at modding, so I'm sure I just don't understand the reasoning.

I hold great respect for your and other modder's contributions that enhance the 7D2D experience. Your willingness to update the modlet for compatibility is commendable, and I'm honored to be part of this journey.

Thank you for your efforts. I look forward to more exciting developments. Keep up the fantastic work!

Edited by Viscrimson (see edit history)

I just updated the first NPC Pack:

Zombie Pack for NPC Core

Adds new zombies.

New for A21: Includes feral and radiated versions of each zombie.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-khzmusik_Zombies 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-khzmusik_Zombies 

I also added this modlet:

Remove NPC Core Characters

Removes NPC Core characters from all entity groups, so they do not spawn in game.

This is mainly for people who want zombies that require NPC Core, but don't want the human NPCs that spawn by default (Baker, Nurse, and Harley).

However, it may be useful for others as well. If you have other NPC Packs installed, you might want to only use characters from those packs.

Note: In NPC Core, there is a file called entitygroups_nocorespawn.xml in Config/Options. If you rename that file to entitygroups.xml, and replace the existing file with that name in Config, it will do exactly the same thing as this modlet. This modlet is for people who are not technically knowledgeable enough to do that, or just find it more convenient to install a modlet.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/1-XNPCCore_khzmusik_Remove_Core_Characters 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=1-XNPCCore_khzmusik_Remove_Core_Characters 

The next pack I am updating is the Civilians pack.

I just pushed a new update to the Rain Collector mod.

This update handles chunk observers better. Those aren't saved, so if the player left the game and returned, the chunk observer for the dew collector would be gone.

As a result, the dew collector wouldn't update at all while you were away from the chunk, and would only calculate the added water when you came back. At that point, it can only use the current weather conditions for its calculations, and it would use those conditions to calculate the added water for the entire time you were away from the chunk.

There can also be a couple seconds' delay before the next game "tick," and if you checked the dew collector before that happened, you would only see what was collected before you left the chunk. You would only see the water collected while you were away from the chunk, the next time you opened the dew collector. (At least that is my theory, I personally was not able to reproduce this.)

Incidentally, this is also what happens if you opt not to use chunk observers for performance reasons.

The new version is 21.0.1.2. I tested it on an existing game so it should be save game safe.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Rain_Collector 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_Rain_Collector 

49 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

I just pushed a new update to the Rain Collector mod.

This update handles chunk observers better. Those aren't saved, so if the player left the game and returned, the chunk observer for the dew collector would be gone.

As a result, the dew collector wouldn't update at all while you were away from the chunk, and would only calculate the added water when you came back. At that point, it can only use the current weather conditions for its calculations, and it would use those conditions to calculate the added water for the entire time you were away from the chunk.

There can also be a couple seconds' delay before the next game "tick," and if you checked the dew collector before that happened, you would only see what was collected before you left the chunk. You would only see the water collected while you were away from the chunk, the next time you opened the dew collector. (At least that is my theory, I personally was not able to reproduce this.)

Incidentally, this is also what happens if you opt not to use chunk observers for performance reasons.

The new version is 21.0.1.2. I tested it on an existing game so it should be save game safe.

Repo: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Rain_Collector 

Download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a21-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a21-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_Rain_Collector 

Curious as to what kind of performance impact the chunk observer really has. Are we talking a barely-noticable impact, like 1 or 2 fps? Or a noticeable hit to performance of, say, 10 or more fps?

Also, does the number of dew collectors (and therefore chunk observers) have an additional impact on performance? Or are multiple observers in the same chunk basically handled as a single observer by the game?

3 hours ago, EvilPolygons said:

Curious as to what kind of performance impact the chunk observer really has. Are we talking a barely-noticable impact, like 1 or 2 fps? Or a noticeable hit to performance of, say, 10 or more fps?

Also, does the number of dew collectors (and therefore chunk observers) have an additional impact on performance? Or are multiple observers in the same chunk basically handled as a single observer by the game?

From what I can tell (and what people have told me on Guppy's Discord), the performance impact is due to keeping an additional chunk live in the game.

So it doesn't really map to frames per second, so much as a bit of extra processing power and extra memory, both of which are roughly equivalent to adding a player in a MP game (since players are always chunk observers).

It also depends upon the number of chunks, not the number of observers, so if there are ten observers in the same chunk you only have a performance impact for one chunk. That's part of the reason I thought it would be OK, since I'm pretty sure that most players create dew collector "farms" that are mostly in the same chunk.

Having said that, I test on single player, and the effect on my system was negligible. For reference, my computer has an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor,16G RAM, and an RTX 2060 GPU. So it's not top-of-the-line by any means, but I recognize that a lot of players still use systems that aren't as good. I don't think it will have a big impact but I haven't tested on systems lower than mine.