The Lighting Is Vomit Inducing

Saera

So far loving 21. Have not had a chance to experience everything yet, but so far its neat. Runs a lot better too!

However... the lighting is something I really feel needs to be fixed. Even walking into the shade of a tree, makes everything so dark -even so that the areas lit by the bright sun, look like they are in the dark. It is also weird indoors - moving slightly, everything is goes bright to dark to bright.  It is wayyy too extreme, and not how light/eyes work. It makes me so nauseous, the constant light intensity changes.

Is there a way to change the lighting settings, or just turn this feature off completely?

Other than that, nice update friends. So far very difficult, and very fun!

Yeah, this is a common observation by people.  Hopefully they will fix it.  When the lighting is working, I think it looks much better than in A20 but when it starts doing word stuff like that, it ruins the experience.

What's funny I (and others) complained about the same issue in A19 experimental (idk about A20, as I didn't join experimental of it). One would think that they shouldn't repeat the same mistake all over again.

1 hour ago, boban said:

What's funny I (and others) complained about the same issue in A19 experimental (idk about A20, as I didn't join experimental of it). One would think that they shouldn't repeat the same mistake all over again.

It was one of the reasons I dropped out of A19 experimental and I've just had to drop out of A21 experimental because of too.  It's looking great, but as soon as you walk indoors is unplayable in some places. :(

6 hours ago, hiemfire said:

a couple of run throughs to see how stealth is working.

Eh, not working well. It's ok in the wilderness, but in POIs too many zombies spawn behind you already woken up to play as stealth-assassin (or spawn or are position in such a way that you basically can't get them sneaking).

5 hours ago, boban said:

Eh, not working well. It's ok in the wilderness, but in POIs too many zombies spawn behind you already woken up to play as stealth-assassin (or spawn or are position in such a way that you basically can't get them sneaking).

So still tuned for masochists or people who only occasionally sneak then.

28 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

So still tuned for masochists or people who only occasionally sneak then.

Definitely not scientific data as I didn't count that before and now, but after (way too many) hours I tested this experimental I have a feeling that it gotten worse unfortunately. I just hope some mods will appear that move those "jump scare" type spawns in some more reasonable places making stealth viable strategy again.

Edited by boban (see edit history)

I am uncertain about stealth; I have not used that mechanic of the game. I am more concerned with how the light and dark changes so quickly and drastically from one block to another, that it makes me want to literally vomit. 

My husband turned his gamma all the way up and it has minimized it a lot. I do not want to have to do this because I love being in the places and areas that should be truly dark. It is scary and immersive.

An example I have is we were in a house where there was a hole in the roof. I moved under the hole, everything was super bright, even the darker areas of the house. When I moved one block to the left, everything went dark fast, including anything lit up by the sun. There were many areas like this. Moving slightly creates such an extreme change in lighting from one block to the next - some which also didn't make sense (how can be being in a bright lit area allow me to see into a dark area/how can me be in a dark area turn the sun lit areas dark too?)  

I am hoping they turn down the numbers for the lighting differences, so it is more even, and less drastic. 

46 minutes ago, Saera said:

I am uncertain about stealth; I have not used that mechanic of the game. I am more concerned with how the light and dark changes so quickly and drastically from one block to another, that it makes me want to literally vomit. 

My husband turned his gamma all the way up and it has minimized it a lot. I do not want to have to do this because I love being in the places and areas that should be truly dark. It is scary and immersive.

An example I have is we were in a house where there was a hole in the roof. I moved under the hole, everything was super bright, even the darker areas of the house. When I moved one block to the left, everything went dark fast, including anything lit up by the sun. There were many areas like this. Moving slightly creates such an extreme change in lighting from one block to the next - some which also didn't make sense (how can be being in a bright lit area allow me to see into a dark area/how can me be in a dark area turn the sun lit areas dark too?)  

I am hoping they turn down the numbers for the lighting differences, so it is more even, and less drastic. 

My apologies for the tangent I inadvertently started. The lighting is also unpleasant for me and, if the notifications I keep getting involving the post in the dev diary thread I made on it and the responses others have posted here are any indication, many others as well.

Found this in the Work in Progress section of the bug forum while browsing through it:

Q&A reply on comments tab for the report:

So it looks to me like it is something they have in the queue to deal with in a later Alpha. Doesn't help us right now, but at least they're planning on doing something about the issue.

43 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Found this in the Work in Progress section of the bug forum while browsing through it:

So it looks to me like it is something they have in the queue to deal with in a later Alpha. Doesn't help us right now, but at least they're planning on doing something about the issue.

Good to see.  I can barely read the pop up in Trader Joes because it looks like I have a flashlight on when I don't 

P2H3oB4.png

2 minutes ago, Laim said:

Good to see.  I can barely read the pop up in Trader Joes because it looks like I have a flashlight on when I don't 

The text that is legible in that image is very painful to read. Can't for the life of me figure out what 4 of the distances say or read the tier for options 3 and 4.

1 hour ago, hiemfire said:

Yeah, you're correct. We're well aware of it, and indeed it's a complicated matter that does require some rework, but it's not going to be a small task due to the complete open nature of the world. Don't worry, it's not in its final state.

For now, if it does hurt your eyes, you can mitigate it by adjusting shadows and maybe turn the game brightness up. Some monitors also support shadow boost, which will make the darks a bit brighter, maybe giving less contrast between the light/dark making it less obvious on your eyes. 

31 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

The text that is legible in that image is very painful to read. Can't for the life of me figure out what 4 of the distances say or read the tier for options 3 and 4.

I can't read any of the text in the brackets [] or () lol.

17 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

So this effect is supposed to be some sort of eye adaptation, correct?

It's more of environmental lighting, as in it darkens when you enter a room with no lights/windows and gradually lightens up when you leave there and go past windows, or if it's raining outside then it'll darken near windows. I'm not sure if they're doing eye adaptation. It may jump around everywhere atm but that's all being working on, it does provide some really nice environments and nicely-done dark areas, just need some polishing yet.

11 minutes ago, Laim said:

I can't read any of the text in the brackets [] or () lol.

Do increase the opacity to help with that. That is also a known issue by the way, we're redoing the UI as a whole :)

image.png.a77a52a0d1350d615809c23ab098b586.png That's what I have mine set to.

image.thumb.jpeg.632d9aed7bacc1602354b0604ba3f077.jpeg

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

They need to put sex t-rex back in str and let the player choose to focus on one line, or get sex t-rex, I know which i'd choose, sex t-rex for sure as its stam reduction on everything for way less perk points than it'd cost you to max it out for one thing. Just have whichever has the bigger bonus take effect.

2 hours ago, Scyris said:

They need to put sex t-rex back in str and let the player choose to focus on one line, or get sex t-rex, I know which i'd choose, sex t-rex for sure as its stam reduction on everything for way less perk points than it'd cost you to max it out for one thing. Just have whichever has the bigger bonus take effect.

What does Sexual T-Rex have to do with lighting?

17 hours ago, Jugginator said:

It's more of environmental lighting, as in it darkens when you enter a room with no lights/windows and gradually lightens up when you leave there and go past windows, or if it's raining outside then it'll darken near windows. I'm not sure if they're doing eye adaptation. It may jump around everywhere atm but that's all being working on, it does provide some really nice environments and nicely-done dark areas, just need some polishing yet.

Do increase the opacity to help with that. That is also a known issue by the way, we're redoing the UI as a whole :)

image.png.a77a52a0d1350d615809c23ab098b586.png That's what I have mine set to.

Jugg, this happens in rooms where an entire wall is missing to the outside. Like, I can fly an F-35 through the open/destroyed area, but since I stepped on a shadow I get a black screen. We're dealing with it but it seems to be hit-and-miss. One room upstairs with no exterior wall is pitch black, while the basement has no lighting issues despite being underground. I play stealth characters so I am mostly at home in it, but it is something we'll be glad to have fixed one day.

I'm not going to use such a dramatic expression as 'vomit inducing.'  But the lighting is making certain aspects of the game a bit more frustrating to deal with.

I also have one situation where the I crafted my first lever action rifle and when I fire it, there is a puff of smoke from the report that obscures vision, even moreso at night, and even worse during Horde Night.   Was this intended?   Does it relate to the lighting issue in some way?  Dynamic lighting sounds like it could have multiple situational meanings, and im wondering how else this affects gameplay.

I have not made a lever-action yet. It seems odd that there would be a puff of smoke because we developed smokeless powder in the 1800's. I own two lever-action rifles, both are old, one dating to 1907, and neither smokes. My black-powder .50 cal? That is another story! I might be one of those gun-toting mad-men you hear about. Still, modern rifles should not produce smoke plumes.