Early Game, Night Time - What do Folks Do?

caatalyst

On day 1 at night, I usually build my home base, which is just a hut on stilts, can usually get the stilts and main floor built on day 1 at night (takes about 350-400 woooden frames so 700-800 wood or so 9 storage chests and 6 ladders 1000 wood usually covers it), day 2 at night I usually finish the home base, thou its still just wood frames for now, maybe mine a bit of iron as if rng is nice to me I often have the forge before the first day is done in a21. Do some crafting etc, Day 3 and up is when I tend to have a bit better gear, usually at least SOME armor even if padded, I then start looting pois at night and exploring, just need to watch out for fat zombies or ferals this early. I usually switch to iron arrows soon after I get the forge as they do not take long to make the arrowheads, usually make a pack of 200 arrowheads the first time and that lasts me a while. Night time is also a good time to roam around and axe things for polymers to make dew collectors. There is a ton of new items that give this material now. It looks like its plastic you'll prob get it from it, like the garbage bins, the outhouses, tires (I know they are rubber but that doesn't exist so its polymers) etc.

9 hours ago, theFlu said:

For the laziest option, stone axe to stone the whole night (sure some stuff is cooking in the background, but that would happen in the daytime as well..).

But early game, night time POIs are likely the easiest.. the zeds are practically blind even without points into stealth. And for the few nights I've been out, the night time spawns seem no different to the day time atm. Maybe a few more of the stronger zeds, but haven't seen a wolf yet, much less a dire and only a couple ferals.

I took an easy-mode start for the new patch though, so, can't say much for more pressing settings. The only issue I've had has been running, the start position was over 2k from the trader and closest town was another 2 from there.

Yeah.. they need to work on the spawn distance from initial traders, I had one map where I was 3.9 Km away from the nearest trader, or rather Nearest trader in forest biome as I think thats where it sends you, I just quit and generated a new map instead of running a 4km distance to the first trader.

9 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

I've got no clue how you guys loot at night, as your stealth is turning off while you loot. As soon as I open a container or take items out of it all nearby zeds are hearing it and react accordingly

I do it in T5 POIs mostly (sometimes T4's).  Typically use the day to clear out the zombie spawns and then loot (top to bottom) during the night (even brave to salvage parts).

Though you will pucker up a few times if you do it in the wasteland with feral sense turned on  😄

14 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I do it in T5 POIs mostly (sometimes T4's).  Typically use the day to clear out the zombie spawns and then loot (top to bottom) during the night (even brave to salvage parts).

Though you will pucker up a few times if you do it in the wasteland with feral sense turned on  😄

I'm having the map 50/50 wasteland/desert 😁

On 6/15/2023 at 1:29 PM, Vampirenostra said:

I've got no clue how you guys loot at night, as your stealth is turning off while you loot. As soon as I open a container or take items out of it all nearby zeds are hearing it and react accordingly

If a zombie got the first shot then he was better at stealth than you. 😁

On 6/14/2023 at 6:47 PM, meganoth said:

If you can plan ahead a nice option is to clear a POI (or POIs) in daylight but defer the looting. Then [...] loot the house, Thoroughly [...] until day break

That's what I do when I want to spent my time efficiently.
But most often I sort my loot, craft some stuff, cook water and food and use the remaining time to get some food and tea in real life, visit the bathroom, look for the next video to view during the next day, and so on.
So actually those shorts breaks are welcome more often than not.

Edited by Jihh (see edit history)