7D2D in 2024 (Win7 users)

RustedDroid

Writing this as 7D2D require log-in Steam.exe to be run in background.
As many know VALVe/Steam in 2024 will update to new (chromium) backend that is no longer supported with Win7.

That means all players that enjoy 7D2D on older OS like Win7 (for reasons) will no longer be able to play your game as your game require Steam to run in background.
I know Steam can be forced to run in offline mode but 7D2D have Player profile issue "offline save game issue".
Basically online player profile in your saved world gen will be missing when you switch to offline mode and you need to start from 0.

I do not think VALVe will change their mind on Win7 support.
I know many cannot upgrade to WIn10 as that system force use "all purpose" garbage WDM Drivers that render older hardware too slow for playing game like 7D2D.

If you have nothing to say towards topic then please ignore it.

Here is source from Steam Forum
https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/4/3824163953441547905/

That change doesn't just affect 7D2D, it affects all games run through Steam.

I don't believe that Offline mode will work after January 2024 (though I could be wrong).  Offline mode just removes the requirement of being on the internet, but still runs the exe application for Steam.  Based on what Steam has stated, the steam client won't run on those old OS after January 2024.  Even then, you wouldn't be able to update the game anymore (so your last version will be A21).

In your case since it doesn't sound like you want to upgrade your computer to run at least Windows 10, you can always switch to Linux OS.  I believe that 7D2D works with Linux OS and we have people here in the forums that know a lot more details about that setup (I have Win10 so I am not as aware of Linux as others here are).

Yeah unfortunately time and technology move on. You may be able to keep the older version of Steam that works still with Win7 and just play offline (you'll likely need to only launch Steam while your internet connection is disabled) and you should be able to play any local-games that way. But, nothing we can do about it. If your computer is able to play 7 Days it should be able to run on Win10, I've installed/upgraded to Win10 on machines that were designed for Win8 era, it should be fine. If you're already at min specs or below, like BFT said maybe it's time for a little upgrade. Besides, Win7 is a walking vulnerability bomb.

10 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

That change doesn't just affect 7D2D, it affects all games run through Steam.

I don't believe that Offline mode will work after January 2024 (though I could be wrong).  Offline mode just removes the requirement of being on the internet, but still runs the exe application for Steam.  Based on what Steam has stated, the steam client won't run on those old OS after January 2024.  Even then, you wouldn't be able to update the game anymore (so your last version will be A21).

In your case since it doesn't sound like you want to upgrade your computer to run at least Windows 10, you can always switch to Linux OS.  I believe that 7D2D works with Linux OS and we have people here in the forums that know a lot more details about that setup (I have Win10 so I am not as aware of Linux as others here are).

Thank you for reply.
I have hardware that not have compatible drivers with WIn10.
I know i can force use older drivers but Win10 will revert o Windows WDM ones as they are "more recent".

While my current 7D2D on Win7 runs with decent 40-60 FPS and OS self is very responsive on Win10 test SDD (clean install) system was very slow and 7D2D runs very low at 30-20fps.

The issue here as i say is that 7D2D require Steam to run and VALVe/Steam will not run in 2024. That mean that my 7D2D Installation will be paper wight as game cannot verify if i own the game (steam not running) and exit.

I know Steam will do nothing towards this as they are "only a Store".
They act like this is all my fault while problem is on their side using uncompatible backend for new Steam Client.

I am writing this as i want to see view from 7D2D developer.

10 minutes ago, RustedDroid said:

I am writing this as i want to see view from 7D2D developer.

Jugg's response is likely the closest you're going to get.

And honestly, all support for Win 7 should have ended over a decade ago. It's been EOL for literally more than a decade. Any modern software system should have fully discontinued support for it more than five years ago.  

TFP is developing a game for a future release date. I mean, if we say a release of 2024, you cannot expect it to be compatible with a system that was fully obsolete in 2014.

And as for who is at fault, It certainly isn't a developer that is improving their current system to meet future demands and security standards. The fault would lie on those who refuse to maintain their systems to meet those standards. At some point you just have to accept that you should have started planning for an upgrade over a decade ago.

44 minutes ago, RustedDroid said:

I know Steam will do nothing towards this as they are "only a Store".
They act like this is all my fault while problem is on their side using uncompatible backend for new Steam Client.

The problem is not on their side.  Their product (the Steam client) uses the embedded Google Chromium browser for a lot of the core functions of their client.  And Google has stopped supporting Chromium for Windows 7.  Throw in the fact that Microsoft themselves has stopped supporting Windows 7 and 8 which has its own issues.  Both Google and Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 about 2 years ago.  Steam kept it going for awhile, but eventually everyone was going to have to make a decision on their OS if they want to continue running Steam.

You have options.  You are focused on Windows OS, but Linux OS does run on older versions (though I know nothing of the age of your hardware) so that is a possibility for you.  You can try and upgrade to Windows 10 to see if that will work for you.  You can upgrade your computer (seeing how old you state it is).

Also, want to point out, you don't own the game; you just purchase a license that allows you to download and play the game.

1 hour ago, RustedDroid said:

I have hardware that not have compatible drivers with WIn10.

I had the same problem with an expensive card that I did not want to stop using because of no more driver support.

It sucks but OSs just keep moving on and support for older OSs always dies off. It's part of life. Running the machine

with Linux allows me play the game and use the old card, so as BFT2020 has already suggested, try that.

For that matter, check to see if there are any third-party drivers.  If the hardware you have was popular at the time, it is possible some third-party has created drivers to work with Windows 10.  No guarantee as it's not super common but it can happen.  Either way, you should probably consider upgrading your computer at some point.  You're likely to start finding more and more things that won't work for you as time goes on.  Generally speaking, you can upgrade CPU, Motherboard and GPU for under $500 if you're not trying to get a computer that plays everything at Ultra settings.  Considering you're willing to stay on an old computer, I don't think that is a big deal for you.  Throw in 32GB of RAM for the upgraded computer for only another $50-100.  I do understand that even that much money can be too much for people at times but it's something you can save towards if that's the case.

• 1 month later...

I know this topic says windows 7, but steam is ending support for windows 8 and 8.1 as well. I bit the bullet and upgraded my Alienware from 2009 (yeah tri channel RAM) and it runs Windows 10 just fine. My roomie has a really smoking keyboard that he can no longer use since it has no drivers for windows 10. It is a really cool gaming keyboard with this great layout that we can't find anywhere. "Steelseries Mercboard" or a "ZBoard" in case anyone is curious or knows where I can get windows 10 drivers for it.

I really wish there was a way to play 7days offline so I could run MP LAN games when my internet is spotty. Still the best game out there even if I have to MOD to get the FOV I like to play under.