POI Name Aliases

AH64_Jimbo

Since the introduction of questing back in Alpha 17, I've always thought it would be nice to have more descriptive, player-friendly names when getting quests from a trader.

For example, instead of having a clear quest at "skyscraper_01" a trader would send you to "Dishong Tower" or instead of a fetch/clear quest at "factory_03" the trader sends you to your doom at the "Pop-N-Pills Factory".

It would be nice to have an "alias" attribute assigned to each POI XML file. Then the traders could call the POIs by their alias, and not the unique file name.

This would also mean that duplicate aliases could be used; So whether you head off to "store_grocery_01" or "store_grocery_02" the trader will send you off toward "Shamway", because there is always a Shamway up the road that you can try looting.

This is already possible. If you use the name of the POI as the "key" value in Localization.txt, the game will use the localized text value instead of the raw POI name.

I don't know why TFP don't already do this. I expect they probably will add these entries soon before going gold.

2 hours ago, bdubyah said:

It's in the Config folder with the XML files. 

Yep, that's correct. There are already a few entries in there - one for each of the traders, one for the big Shamway factory, and one for the big Shotgun Messiah factory. TFP only provided English translations though.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:35 PM, khzmusik said:

This is already possible. If you use the name of the POI as the "key" value in Localization.txt, the game will use the localized text value instead of the raw POI name.

Are you sure? I just put a bunch of entries into my modlet's Localization.txt file and I don't see any results.

Using this an example:

factory_lg_01,POI,POI,,x,Shamway Factory,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I made entries such as:

zztong_store_xs_11,POI,POI,,x,Namaste Yoga,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
zztong_store_xs_12,POI,POI,,x,Navezgane Karate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But the Trader is still handing out quests with a name like zztong_store_xs_12.

There's no joy with either an existing world or a newly generated one via RWG.

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Are you sure? I just put a bunch of entries into my modlet's Localization.txt file and I don't see any results.

Using this an example:

I made entries such as:

Let me try it myself. I could swear it used to work, but maybe it stopped or I remembered wrong.

4 hours ago, zztong said:

Using this an example:

I made entries such as:

So, it turns out you are right, and I was wrong.

I could swear I saw this working - maybe an alpha or two ago? It has been a while. Or perhaps I was remembering a mod that did it.

The good news is that I looked in the code, and it shouldn't be too difficult to do a Harmony patch that adds that feature. I'll see if I can create one within the next couple of days. Maybe I will also include translations for all the POIs while I'm at it.

34 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

The good news is that I looked in the code, and it shouldn't be too difficult to do a Harmony patch that adds that feature. I'll see if I can create one within the next couple of days. Maybe I will also include translations for all the POIs while I'm at it.

I appreciate you looking into it. Since Lazman demonstrated a feature that seems to be related, I think I'll just hang onto my configuration and see if it pays off in A21.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

I appreciate you looking into it. Since Lazman demonstrated a feature that seems to be related, I think I'll just hang onto my configuration and see if it pays off in A21.

I completely did not notice the name of the POI come up. I was wondering why he posted a joke Twitter video about people making motorbike sounds with their mouths.

4 hours ago, khzmusik said:

I completely did not notice the name of the POI come up. I was wondering why he posted a joke Twitter video about people making motorbike sounds with their mouths.

It took me a second too. Haha.

For that new meter it appears that they have the POIs localized, but that may not guarantee the quest offer window using it. Hopefully it will though.

It is possible that it isn't a joke that they make the minibike sound with voice and maybe some other ingredients mixed in and some distortion added. If you didn't know you would probably never guess.

I think it is highly likely that quests will show the new names as well. This is one of the task that definitely has to be done before the game can be released.

If anyone wants this for A20, I just finished a mod that will do it:

The C# code was simple. The hard part was translating the names of POIs. I tried my best, but since I used automatic translation services, I'm sure I got a few things wrong.

Even so, it should work with the English language, so hopefully folks will find it useful.

EDIT: I realize that thread has a lot of mods. Here's a direct link to it on GitHub:

modlet folder: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/tree/main/khzmusik_Localize_Prefabs

download: https://gitlab.com/karlgiesing/7d2d-a20-modlets/-/archive/main/7d2d-a20-modlets-main.zip?path=khzmusik_Localize_Prefabs

This should also work with custom POIs, by the way.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)