Weather needs to have more consequence

ElCabong

It rained all damn night and into the morning. I decided to go out into it anyway and just got wet but didn't notice anything else. Sometimes I get cold when I get wet. Not this time.

I was in the desert. It rains too much for it to be a desert. I'm not complaining. Weather is fun I wouldn't take it away.

Perhaps a stamina loss or something when it's raining would be appropriate. It's way darker than it should be. That's great I wouldn't change that

It's been mentioned a few times before that weather is going to get looked at before gold. I agree that, while a bit too frequent in the opinion of most players, it is largely inconsequential. If they were to add some sort of buff or debuff, I would think they would work on the balance by adjusting the frequency.

I worked in the forestry, in all kinds of weather. After a while you don’t even notice it.

Now I’m a farmer, it’s funny watching townies run from the rain.

I’m not in favour of debuffs. Even the cold debuff doesn’t make sense, as it let me run harder for longer as a young fulla in the bush. I used to call it human radiator fluid.

In a survival situation, it really only makes sense in the snowy areas where you can’t dry off and warm up.

I like the balance as it is. Maybe make the heat give a few minutes fatigue if you don’t cool down. And I agree the frequency is a bit too often, but then the days are crammed into one hour. Over all the balance is pretty good IMO.

On 3/1/2023 at 7:11 PM, edyonline said:

In a survival situation, it really only makes sense in the snowy areas where you can’t dry off and warm up.

Not entirely true.  Travel on foot or in vehicles can very much be affected by more things than just snow.  Anyone that has spent significant time walking through sand can tell you that it is a lot harder on your muscles than walking on dirt, for instance.  Wet snow is a LOT harder to walk through than dry snow.  Rain on some surfaces can make uphill travel nearly impossible and downhill travel incredibly risky.  On a similar note, running uphill takes a lot more out of you than running downhill and running full speed downhill can lead to fatal injuries with some terrain/weather combinations (down a rocky hillside, for instance).

There are a lot of ways they could make weather and terrain (and weather + terrain combined) affect gameplay without direct debuffs.

I like subtle but consistent changes. I still mod weather settings sometimes in older versions
and to the best of my ability in the newer ones.

"weathersurvival.xml"   "biomes.xml"
The changes i make are percentage Temp per altitude, I have to adjust settings depending on the
map I create. My maps are all manually adjusted via custom grayscale, as well as the biomes. I
posted an example a while back. So basically i make 25 biomes out of 5 by having overlaps. it
makes scenery blend as i ascend and descend. My cities are created at different altitudes, from
Waste which is burning hot, to the snowy plateaus which are frigid. In biome settings i add a
lot of variance for wet dry fog clouds, but use a single or dual spectrum.

"biomes.xml"
This is necessary to stop the constant light/spectrum recalc,

Single for foreboding subdued light, dual if I want the snowy areas to be more visually defined.
My main single spectrum is desert it feels like the most balanced light, if you use variable fog,
clouds, and particles.

"F8"
The one thing I did notice besides having to plan my attire to survive an excursion, is higher
FPS and a more consistent FPS.

"biomes.xml"
To be on top of a mountain approaching a city obscured by windy/snow and not being able to see
whats in the valley, or even the approaching cliffs, adds to my experience. When i am below the
Snow range, fog shows the silhouette of building at a higher level in the distance. So even with
High detail on, my environment only seems to render full detail up close.

In buffs.xml search for <!-- Weather Survival. copy and paste your own health desires and you may
achieve your goal. Just search for health to get an idea of the parameters. Other searches
            <!-- Weather Survival HOT -->
            <!-- Weather Survival COLD -->
            <!-- Weather Survival WETNESS -->
            Walkspeed runspeed ETC.

In the end I agree with the desire for more (structurally sound) funky weather affecting my
attributes. I can tell when i have done it right. I will play for 4 to 8 hours and not notice
the time. I just like to make my visuals match.

I would like something akin to Rust weather impact. Icarus takes it too far and wind damages your base until its stone. 

With that said, I would like to see lightning damage, not necessarily burning things, but should explode blocks in a 2 block radius of target or something. Could have a brief molotov fire effect, but not burn the whole world down.