It's so quiet so I will enlive forum a little bit : 7dtd is like a car. (Thoughst)

Matt115

Well i was thinking about voxel stuff and honestly 7DTD is technical masterpiece because... well works. Not perfectly but  it's voxel game with big maps, good physics but.... it's like first cars.  Works good - and it's something that nobody done before and... there is a lot of to do in future. But... like cars - is now so limited by many diffrent stuff. So what should be done for next 7dtd? this same thing what was done with cars - take fundaments , redone frame and make stats better. What i mean? i  mean that - RWG, physics etc. is done - so after few improvments can be reused. But... "setting" is  to be honest... generic - like movie plan for zombie movie emited by SyFy - props quality is high but need something to be diffrent. So what i suggest? Hire someone like Chet Faliszek to create "world"  for this universe - I think that TFP are rly talented programers and level and gameplay designers but need someone who could create complexed and more... "grown up" universe - Dragon age 1 had good story but very generic world while DA2 have very complexed and more unique world. What about gameplay? just simple : "more". Typical thing for sequel - more guns, types of enemy, tools , vehicles etc.

So what do you give think ? What should be done / changed for sequel in yours opinion?

I'd almost want to see what the finished product looks like before I start thinking about what could be changed for a sequel.  Also, I tend to think of overhaul mods as possible "sequels" of sorts, kind of like what has been done with Half Life and Half Life 2.

But if we're talking pure, pie in the sky ideas then I'd like to see them make a game like 7DTD that is a lot less voxel so it can have a LOT more zombies.  Having a game with a fixed quantity of zombies in the whole map (think many thousands) and getting the satisfaction of killing them all seems like a good thing (clearing a town really clears it, at least until a wandering horde shows up).  Also have game mechanics that require you to avoid the large hordes as part of your survival and have a focus on only killing when you have to.  Something with more of a 28 Days Later feel is what I'm thinking.  Killing zombies is dangerous business and getting bit or damaged by them is a real problem.  Make a cure extremely rare.  No buying it and no finding it randomly in loot.  The components to make it are extremely hard to get (maybe some parts in radiated areas) and the place to make it is hostile and well guarded (so maybe in the wastelands).

9 minutes ago, Maharin said:

I'd almost want to see what the finished product looks like before I start thinking about what could be changed for a sequel. 

Nothing big will not happend because 7dtd is almost finished . That's for sure - bandits will be pretty simple and story will be like  dunno Bordelands 1.  Maybe new engine (UE5) would to keep full voxel with handle with much more zombies.  About avoid large hordes - maybe here could be some option to just "bleed out" hordes - mines on track of zombie hordes, blow up bridges, maybe use some decoys to lure zombie to went into high building and then blow up this building. But zombie should be weaker - easier to one hit  kill them but in this same time have much higher chance to infected you 

Not to be dismissive of what TFP have acheived - it's very impressive and almost one of a kind (at least together). But... I look at a lot of technology in my line of work, and every time I think there is something amazing, and learn about it, it's like Dorothy parting the curtain and finding the wizard is just an old man with a machine. 

It started off with learning how GPSes work. Did you know they are so simple as to just take every single possible turn, and check whether you are closer to, or further from your destination? Oh, there is a lot of tweaking - E.g. the algorithm will continue to check for some distance to ensure it doesn't loop back around and bring you closer faster, but at the end of the day, it's essentially a brute force algorithm.

AI, quantum computing, ray tracing.  It all seems so simple once you actually understand it.

I guess that should actually mean I respect TFP more for being the first. It's so easy to do something once someone else has done it.  

But to bring it back on topic, changes from now are evolutionary, where as 7D2D was revolutionary.  I think the game will just be polished, bugs fixed and a story added. The fundamentals are solid, nd I'm sure new genres will be able to be built on top of it. 

35 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

my first pc (used) had 2-2mb drives, 128kb ram, win 3.0.  :)

Lol. I had more than that, but not even win 3.0.  I had DR DOS 5 (before MS DOS was available).  Thinking of games back then, for such slow computers and limited hard drive space, they did a great job optimizing the games.  These days, that level of optimization isn't needed and isn't either toward anymore.  They used to have organizing contests where you made what was called a demo (not the same meaning as today) that fit within a size limit like 16kB, 32kB, or 64kB.  Even in such a small size, they had graphics and sounds/music.  Quite impressive.

My first PC had DOS plus Windows 3.0 and my roommate at the time went in half with me on the cost.  Anyway the computer had 2 MB of RAM and we attempted to compile something in Visual C++ and it was taking over 24 hours before we stopped it.  We upgraded it to its maximum of 4 MB of RAM and tried again... it finished in about an hour.  We later installed Linux on that thing (sans GUI) which neither of us knew how to operate at that point.  It was around 1993 or 1994 I think.

My first machine had more computing power than the first lunar lander. Which is not saying much today, but in the early '80's it was bragging rights. Twin 5.25 inch Floppy drives (cassete tape backup was such a slow process..).Green phosphor monitor (later a second hand color TV with a'video adapter'). Dot matrix printer with tractor feed. Pushed that Apple ][+ to an astounding 80K (yes, kilobytes) of ram. Used and learned from that workhorse for years. Voice synthesis, camera vision, data aquisition...what it taught me kept me employed for many years. Best initial $3500 I've ever spent.

And to get back to the car analogy...my computing equipment cost for decades was more than I had ever paid for a car. Priorities, eh? The wife never seemed to see it the same way though. Then again she never learned BASIC either. When worlds collide.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)