RTFM!?

Rotor

Journal tips, loading screen tips, verbose HUD notifications, tutorial quests and buffs created solely to convey information... these are the manuals of today. And that's before we get to online resources players create for each other, like wikis, Steam guides, pinned threads, etc.

Now, I loathe when people get into 'back in my day' mode, as if winning the award for Most Curmudgeonly User is some kind of prize (not that that's happened here). But I think it's accurate to say that more work goes into explaining a game to the player than in the RTFM days. Of course, the complexity of games from any era varies widely as well.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

I was just wondering.  Funny thing is the virtual stuff was supposed to be the stuff of legends as far as keeping it up to date, etc.

I still burn forests as the first thing I do is print a 258 page PDF :).

Odd enough, I did not do, nor it occurred to me to do so, with this game.  Then someone mentioned light sources as a guide in PoIs :).

BTW, I wasnt badgering or putting down the existence or lack of, it was an honest question. 

I just thought I got smarter as I got older and everything came natural to me in the game :).

Remember when we used to walk to school uphill both ways....in the snow?

6 hours ago, Roland said:

Worse. Go watch YouTube or Twitch...

Like, subscribe, hit that notification bell and maybe, maybe this video will have the info you need somewhere in it's 22 minute runtime of content for 12 year-olds.

I have to watch a lot of technical how to videos for the construction industry and somehow those are even worse. Watch closely as I demonstrate this industry standard technique...five seconds later...HTF? Slow down! Get out from in front of the camera!

I had forgotten about the in-game journal. At some point I checked off all the items and never thought to go back for review and clarification. Anything that isn't explained there, I assume the player is supposed to figure out on their own, but you could always recommend more entries to the developer. Or just do wiki/discord, if you don't prefer video presentation (like me.)