Auto-Run Question / Feature Request

Archanor

Hi, I'm curious if there's any way to toggle walk/run in the game. Auto-run (and cruise control for vehicles) in games with big worlds as this just makes sense to me.

I also tried to bind another key on my mouse for sprint/forward as that would make it easier, but it looks like you can only have one key binded (I still want to use shift/w to sprint and walk in between). As far as I know you can not bind keys through the in-game console either (?).

I'm asking because no toggle-run keys makes it very exhausting to play for people with RSI / carpal tunnel syndrome.

If anyone knows about mods that lets me autorun or add extra movement keys, that'd be awesome.

It´s sadly not in the game. There is tools for that, forgot what the are called but i am sure someone will know this.

Pretty sure someone from the mod or dev team will come up with the excuse that people will blame the game/devs for running out of stamina and dying. Lame argument. Show me one game where people complain about having toggle sprint or toggle run/walk or even auto run/walk. Also make it optional, problem solved.

It´s a QoL feature. Please add.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s sadly not in the game. There is tools for that, forgot what the are called but i am sure someone will know this.

Pretty sure someone from the mod or dev team will come up with the excuse that people will blame the game/devs for running out of stamina and dying. Lame argument. Show me one game where people complain about having toggle sprint or toggle run/walk or even auto run/walk. Also make it optional, problem solved.

It´s a QoL feature. Please add.

I don't think the devs or mods have ever stated a reason for not adding it to the game.  The only mention I recalled was that it was on the list of adds, but lower on the list which is why we haven't seen it yet.

16 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I don't think the devs or mods have ever stated a reason for not adding it to the game.  The only mention I recalled was that it was on the list of adds, but lower on the list which is why we haven't seen it yet.

In the last thread about this someone argumented like that.

Would be nice to have.. everything else is said, but for

2 hours ago, Archanor said:

exhausting to play for people with RSI / carpal tunnel syndrome.

I always want to highlight ergonomics; I used to have some issues, mainly a painful "mouse-bone" at the outside wrist, but all kinds of other issues too. For the most bang for the buck, figure out different positions for the hands and the easiest use of them.

For example, Running consists of holding down two buttons for a long time. It goes a long way to figure out a position for the hand such that there's practically no muscle effort to maintain it. An issue I used to have was that I ended up cramping real hard on the button for no real reason.. just a tense game situation and I'd be trying to press the key harder to ... I don't know, make the character run faster? Just the weight of the hand is often enough to press buttons, find a good position to allow for that, and the presence of mind to keep the touch light. It's a long process to learn, but every time you remember to do it, it's less pain in the coming months and years.

The height between the desk and chair will make that easier or harder - and lead to all kinds of other pains if wrong, but at first, try to figure out what you'd like the hands to be for minimum stress. My mousing hand is perfectly fine nowadays, mainly because I learned to rest it on the thumb side large pad. That collapsed into wanting to adjust everything to about 1-2 cm accuracy; my current setup is just a little off, and it tends to drive me a little nuts.

Intentionally de-loading the hand just for a sec at opportune times also helps a lot; it also helps keeping your mind on it and improve the position over time. Shake it out when you don't need it on the keys, while faffing in the inventory or waiting for a loot timer.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

In the last thread about this someone argumented like that.

Possibly true, but was it a mod or a developer or just another player / forum user?  I tried searching and couldn't find an example of a moderator or one of the developers arguing against an auto-run feature, but just like I tell my wife, I just couldn't find it, not saying it doesn't exist  😉

I use AutoHotkey. IIRC, the macro sends W up then W down.

When you want to quit auto moving, press and release W. If you want to run while that's going, hold down shift as you move. You can hold and release shift all you like to switch between walk and run.

6 hours ago, theFlu said:

I always want to highlight ergonomics; I used to have some issues, mainly a painful "mouse-bone" at the outside wrist, but all kinds of other issues too. For the most bang for the buck, figure out different positions for the hands and the easiest use of them.

For example, Running consists of holding down two buttons for a long time. It goes a long way to figure out a position for the hand such that there's practically no muscle effort to maintain it. An issue I used to have was that I ended up cramping real hard on the button for no real reason.. just a tense game situation and I'd be trying to press the key harder to ... I don't know, make the character run faster? Just the weight of the hand is often enough to press buttons, find a good position to allow for that, and the presence of mind to keep the touch light. It's a long process to learn, but every time you remember to do it, it's less pain in the coming months and years.

The height between the desk and chair will make that easier or harder - and lead to all kinds of other pains if wrong, but at first, try to figure out what you'd like the hands to be for minimum stress. My mousing hand is perfectly fine nowadays, mainly because I learned to rest it on the thumb side large pad. That collapsed into wanting to adjust everything to about 1-2 cm accuracy; my current setup is just a little off, and it tends to drive me a little nuts.

Intentionally de-loading the hand just for a sec at opportune times also helps a lot; it also helps keeping your mind on it and improve the position over time. Shake it out when you don't need it on the keys, while faffing in the inventory or waiting for a loot timer.

I bought a lot of new ergonomic stuff after I got carpal tunnel. New chair with arm rests that move in 3 directions, adjustable desk, newmouse, soft wrist rest. I have a lot less pain and problems than I used to. I got stuff lined up and adjusted as you do as well. I can still play fast shooters like Apex, but when it comes to 7DTD it feels like I'm just constantly holding shift+W to do anything. I guess Q+W would be a better choice if that's the only option.

I'm still wondering if there are better alternatives to my K70 keyboard. For some reason I feel like something flatter would be less straining to type on (at least my laptop keyboard feels better than a mechanical).

@pApA^LeGBa I guess some people will complain about anything even if it makes little to no difference to them personally. An optional toggle run or have a secondary bind for an action would probably be the best way to solve this issue without messing it up for others.

37 minutes ago, Archanor said:

holding shift+W to do anything. I guess Q+W would be a better choice if that's the only option.

Hmm, shift-ctrl-w still closes windows.. live and learn. As in, I ended up testing WASD a bit, I started using WERD for movement a long while back (W/R strafe, E/D forw/back) - mostly for extra keybinds around the movement keys, but the position seems better. Now, just moving one key to the left to use WASD makes me strain a whole lot more.

For me, middle finger on E, all fingers flat across the keyboard and my pinky lands perfectly on shift while still flat. The wrist is straighter as well.

With WASD, the wrist twists a bit, my pinky curls into a "sideways" hook and A/D fingers are also bent; although there's rarely constant strain for those. Even the middle finger ends up more bent. And I seem to want to collapse the whole hand leftwards putting the whole weight on the wrist bone.

Not to say this is The Way, we're all individuals - mostly writing this because I was really surprised by the difference myself .. it's one damn key to the left :)

I could swear that in a dev video at some point, TFP not only said they wanted to do an auto-run feature, but they actually demonstrated it working in game (or at least in Unity). Does anyone else remember that? Unfortunately I can't remember which alpha was being previewed, and there are many many hours of such videos.

One of the things I specifically looked for when building my new rig was a mouse with programmable side buttons. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the in-game binding limitations as I could map the mouse buttons to the same key as the keyboard. I bind that side button to Shift to give my left pinky a break.