Official 4k Texures

Gralphr

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

You might have to wait for that SSD to GPU tech that's right around the corner.  Or here already depending on who you ask.

I was reading up on that just yesterday. Seems like Intel has the tech developed already, and actually has for quite a while. It's not until recently that they've decided to talk about actually implementing it.  Game engines will need to be updated to utilize the technology.

To expand on how 7DtD is... let's say atypical, texture space seems pretty limited because it's a build anything anywhere game.  That means all block textures are loaded in memory all the time.  In fact they're all in one giant texture atlas, as I recall.  The devs are likely already using every texel they figure they can get away with, without raising the system requirements or overhauling how textures work.

3 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

To expand on how 7DtD is... let's say atypical, texture space seems pretty limited because it's a build anything anywhere game.  That means all block textures are loaded in memory all the time.  In fact they're all in one giant texture atlas, as I recall.  The devs are likely already using every texel they figure they can get away with, without raising the system requirements or overhauling how textures work.

How 7dtd work it is just the smallest problem. Why? because we are going to have at least  5 years stagnation because there is lack of materials

16 hours ago, Maharin said:

You might have to wait for that SSD to GPU tech that's right around the corner.  Or here already depending on who you ask.

Wich needs to be supported by the game. I don´t think that we as gamers will benefit from this very soon. For 7 days to die it´s to late if you ask me. As mentioned above this will at least need the engine to be upgraded. And i don´t think that they are going to do that again and push the release further back.

6 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Wich needs to be supported by the game. I don´t think that we as gamers will benefit from this very soon. For 7 days to die it´s to late if you ask me. As mentioned above this will at least need the engine to be upgraded. And i don´t think that they are going to do that again and push the release further back.

I think even more - this technology will be still dead for long time because - most materials will go into making AGD and making cars because it is more neccesary

12 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Oh, they do upgrade the engine from time to time, but they can not use many of the newer unity features (like new render pipelines (?)) because it would need extensive code rewrites. And I would assume that a SSD to GPU direct transfer would be one needing rewrites even if by far not as extensive as a new render pipeline

Also I agree with CC that it wouldn't really help in this case as texture swapping does not save much in 7D2D

20 hours ago, meganoth said:

Oh, they do upgrade the engine from time to time, but they can not use many of the newer unity features (like new render pipelines (?)) because it would need extensive code rewrites. And I would assume that a SSD to GPU direct transfer would be one needing rewrites even if by far not as extensive as a new render pipeline

Also I agree with CC that it wouldn't really help in this case as texture swapping does not save much in 7D2D

Yeah, that´s why i said again. We had a one year waiting for a new alpha due to a engine upgrade already and at this stage i doubt that they gonna do another big one, the usefullness aside, as the plans are 2 alphas then beta if got that right.

13 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yeah, that´s why i said again. We had a one year waiting for a new alpha due to a engine upgrade already and at this stage i doubt that they gonna do another big one, the usefullness aside, as the plans are 2 alphas then beta if got that right.

Sorry to correct you here, but the long wait wasn't due to the engine upgrade. Overall it had very minimal impact on development, and most of the impact it did have was on the art team.

The long wait was largely due to overhauling some major systems from the defaults into systems TFP designed, and changing RWG and sleeper mechanics. Along with a really huge list of other updates that you can read about in the patch notes.

13 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@SylenThunder A16 to A17 is what i was thinking of here. I am pretty sure there was an engine update included back then.

Yes there was an engine update. And it was a pretty big one. However stating that it was the reason that a17 took so long to drop is wholly incorrect. There were hardly any code changes required as a result of the upgrade in the engine.

If you doubt this, simply go read back through the Dev Diaries. You will find several confirmations of the statement I made regarding how little of an impact the engine upgrade had on development work. All of them directly from the developers themselves.

9 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Wich alpha was it then? I remember very well that someone from the devs and/or mods said several times it took so long due to the engine update.

It was Alpha 17, and no they didn't. Everyone assumed that was the case, which is why there are several developer comments stating that it wasn't the case at all.

Well ok. Still, with the new game in work already and less an less content missing in 7 days i doubt they gonna start to upgrade the engine again, no matter for what reason. I think they now are in a phase where time is an issue, as the new game does cost money already but doesn´t get them money so far.

Might be wrong here and they could afford another 10 years of EA, who knows.

Archived