Does no trader mean no trader is within range or there aren't any?

ElCabong

I'm going to assume you didn't do Advance Gen as it shows you what the map looks likes. (Town, cities, wilderness poi's, ect) It is possible to generate a random seed that has no towns or cities in the forest biome, only wild poi's.  I had a few pop up like this myself, but  I always peek at the map it generates first so as to not get frustrated by a crappy seed. You may have just gotten unlucky  or maybe there's only 1 town in that biome and it's far away. I've seen that too. 

No trader usually means a map that is based on an earlier version's algorithm. This can sometimes happen if you haven't cleaned old maps out of your registry and then name a new map the same as the older map. 

Clean your data using the launcher tool and then roll a new map and name it something you've never used before.

Good answers already, I am just going to post the code for reference

<objective type="Goto" id="trader" value="5" phase="1">
            <property name="biome_filter_type" value="OnlyBiome" />
            <property name="biome_filter" value="pine_forest" />
            <!-- <property name="biome_filter_type" value="ExcludeBiome" /> -->
            <!-- <property name="biome_filter" value="wasteland" /> -->
            <property name="nav_object" value="go_to_trader" />
        </objective>

<objective type="InteractWithNPC">
            <property name="phase" value="2"/>
            <property name="nav_object" value="return_to_trader" />
            <property name="use_closest" value="true" />
        </objective>

So the quest will only look for traders that are in the Pine Forest Biome.  The commented out sections can be reutilized so it looks for any nearby trader that is not in the wasteland biome.

If you are using a custom map or spawning away from the pine forests, you might want to create a quick modlet to change out the filters.

<config>

<set xpath="/quests/quest[@id='quest_whiteRiverCitizen1']/objective[@type='Goto']/property[@name='biome_filter_type']/@value">ExcludeBiome</set>

<set xpath="/quests/quest[@id='quest_whiteRiverCitizen1']/objective[@type='Goto']/property[@name='biome_filter']/@value">wasteland</set>

</config>

You can search the PREFABS.XML for "trader" to quickly check if there is any on your map.

The actual traders are "Trader_<name>" (ie "Trader_Bob").

Open PREFABS.XML in NotePad or similar, click CNTRL + F to open the Find dialog.

For a world you created the PREFABS.XML should be in the 'C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\GeneratedWorlds' folder

There are also 7D2D map viewers online (ask Mr Google).

Edited by FinkPloyd
clarity (see edit history)