Question about fire

Matt115

This is more technical question not connected directy with A21 so i'm writing about that here. This could be possible to implement "burning out" wooden blocks? i mean by this - throwing molotov will set house in fire and change blocks into burned one. It would be possible without bigger optimalisation problems?

8 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

This is more technical question not connected directy with A21 so i'm writing about that here. This could be possible to implement "burning out" wooden blocks? i mean by this - throwing molotov will set house in fire and change blocks into burned one. It would be possible without bigger optimalisation problems?

I don’t know the answer. But I have thought about this.. my belief: the only way to do this is for a block to “know” what type of damage it’s receiving (bullet vs tool vs fire, etc) so it knows to downgrade to a burned block.  I’m not sure this mechanic exists (a block can downgrade to another block, but I don’t think it can choose how to downgrade based on what damage it took). 

I personally wanted to find a way to make fire “travel” with some percentage of “fire can infect next block” (so a Burning house that keeps burning is possible) but I’m guessing it’s not really possible without maybe a c#/dll or server manager code, calculating it “behind the scenes” vs it being tied to the blocks or fire “effect”/buffs itself?

maybe a “fire item” could turn into a “fire entity” or block that would damage nearby blocks and then (some chance) of spawning another fire entity/block (and that block would be a burned wood one?) Just making it all “firery” in general for a long time? 

im very interested in the answer to this.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

On 3/18/2022 at 9:32 PM, Spiked_Coffee said:

Someone somewhere a few years ago had a mod that created self spreading fire maybe circa A18 or earlier. I'm sure someone remembers

I think it was around A16. And I may be misremembering but it think it was quite good at tanking your FPS.

It needed changes to lower level code. And I assume that would be true today as well.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:02 PM, Spiked_Coffee said:

Someone somewhere a few years ago had a mod that created self spreading fire maybe circa A18 or earlier. I'm sure someone remembers

5 hours ago, meganoth said:

I think it was around A16. And I may be misremembering but it think it was quite good at tanking your FPS.

It needed changes to lower level code. And I assume that would be true today as well.