Auto Turret XP ?

saoron666

Hi,

Was wondering why the Auto Turret dont give xp in COOP mode to other players ?

i know the robotic turret does but not the auto turrets..

which takes away the entire use of building them and placing them since it wont be fair for the other players if they not getting any xp towards the kills.

they contributed in supplying parts to have it built but only the builder gets credit for it... is that going to be addressed? or this is it...

8 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

You need points in advanced engineering to get XP from a auto turret.

I don´t think it´s the person that crafted it, but the person that placed/wired it who get´s the XP. But yeah, it´s never the whole party that get´s XP, always one person only.

You might be right on the placement, I knew it was only one person that gets the XP.

The robotics are basically a part of the player; they're meant to me a main weapon for the Int build, so they Have to give XP. Otherwise anyone who wants XP would never spec into one. The traps are a lot less significant with regards to XP, at least in the basic design. And since they're "passive", it's both technically difficult and logically unclear to state even how they "should" work. The builder "spec" is made to be a little weaker in combat, and the trap XP is basically there to compensate for the trap-heavy playstyle. With that, it becomes a little more difficult to balance between single- and multi-player. For multi, it could be somewhat assumed that the builder "stays at home" more than the other, missing some shared XP in the process; getting some extra from a horde night shouldn't be a big deal then.

And even if TFP agrees that it should be shared the practical reason of why it isn't may well be "because we can't implement it without rewriting everything." Blocks don't have an actual owner, trap kills aren't granted to the player in general (the kill count or the XP, afaik) so they're significantly different from the weapons - and no other type of XP is shared, be it harvesting or selling or completing quests.

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

@theFlu Builders do get a ton of XP tough. Usually our builder is ahead of us. Upgrading is the key here, it´s crazy how much XP you can gain there.

@saoron666 It´s not random who get´s the XP. You need points in advanced engineering at least 3 i think. And i am 99% sure that the person who places the turret get´s the XP. Small chance that it is the one who built the trap, but i don´t think so, it´s 100% not random tough.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Builders do get a ton of XP tough.

Sure; I can probably come up with a counter argument for everything I said, without sounding too schizophrenic. My point was to highlight that there is no proper "why", it's all just bloody complicated.

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@theFlu Builders do get a ton of XP tough. Usually our builder is ahead of us. Upgrading is the key here, it´s crazy how much XP you can gain there.

Pretty crazy XP, too.  I made over 2 million xp in an hour the other day, but that involved 4225 Rebar Frames and 84,500 concrete mix.

Part of the reason I keep my use of traps down, to one that wound rather than kill. I love electric traps combined with a robotic sledge and/or junk turrets. I don't use junkies around Demos and I male the sledges hit them on their left side. I use shot or auto turrets on the roof top for those flying rat @%$#s. For other traps, I prefer to use them on switches so they are only turned on when I get overwhelmed. 

I always thought they should only give xp to anyone that damages a zed, and not just a blanket "everyone on the team" which is pretty counter to most rpgs mechanics.

With that said, getting xp for turrets is kinda silly. How does your turret provide you with xp without any meaningful part taken on your end to kill said zed?

I would personally play with all xp from traps off. Once you have a self sustained base, you shouldn't be leveling up just by existing. It should require risk on your end or the whole concept of why xp is given, goes out the window.

Then again I come from old school pen and paper rpgs.