Checking in

Epicurius

Hey all!  I haven't been on this board in a long while and wanted to pop in and ask a question.  I have been playing 7DtD since about alpha 8 or so and there has been a persistent issue that I wonder if a fix has been suggested.  While playing, the game freezes for like a half a second and then catches up.  Seems it has something to do with the screen drawing as you look around the gameworld.  I have a pretty good graphics card (can't remember the exact specs at this time) but this issue has been happening through two different upgraded graphics cards.

Anyone have any thoughts on what settings I can add/take off to stop this from happening?

Thank in advance!

E

Never had that issue with my current or previous video card.  You might want to ask in General Support sub forum and read the pin about reporting an issue.  Lots of knowledgeable people and me read the posts in that sub forum.

When you got the similar problems with other videocard before too, i don't think the problem is based on the videocard.

You mainly should investigate into your other hardware/periphery you didn't changed so far yet.

13 hours ago, Epicurius said:

Seems it has something to do with the screen drawing as you look around the gameworld. 

That's sounds like you have some Motion blur effect turned on.

that's the draw pause thing that's been going on for a while. loading distant things.

SSD speeds it up over metal disk, but happens often going to new areas.

I get the same, and motion blur is OFF.  (windows/linux, makes no difference btw)

Just like zipping along on the chopper you can hit the invisible forcefield and bounce into the air stuttering for a bit until the server catches up. (kinda funny)

The draw pause though, is annoying.   I don't have time to look for the previous posts, but there are some.

I get the same sort of thing, on two different machines (both Windows, one mid-potato one not-to-shabby). Every few minutes FPS will plunge (on the n-t-s machine) from 90FPS to 20FPS for a moment or two, then pick right back up like nothing happened. I'm still on 19.3, though and 19.5 is supposed to be smoother.

21 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

that's the draw pause thing that's been going on for a while. loading distant things.

That's sound for a loading problem.

- The videocard maybe don't got enough RAM to load all the textures and need to get them from the HD (fix reduce texture quality).

- The HD got a slow transfer/responce rate to load the new data

- Or did you maybe activate a power safe function on a regular HD (not SSD) that let the HD sleep after x minutes.

Then the few seconds the HD need to powerup let windows/game hang for that time to wait for the data. (Happen to years ago, when i used my data HD for games).

27 minutes ago, Canute said:

That's sound for a loading problem.

- The videocard maybe don't got enough RAM to load all the textures and need to get them from the HD (fix reduce texture quality).

- The HD got a slow transfer/responce rate to load the new data

- Or did you maybe activate a power safe function on a regular HD (not SSD) that let the HD sleep after x minutes.

Then the few seconds the HD need to powerup let windows/game hang for that time to wait for the data. (Happen to years ago, when i used my data HD for games).

8gb vram.  half texture/full no diff.

HD slow...  poss, SSD is faster, but it still pauses a bit.

no sleep possible, that's ALWAYS disabled. (same for hibernation)

This happens both in windows and linux.

It is a loading issue, that's known. That's why the pauses are shorter on an SSD.

(and why in windows I moved the game to the SSD, can't afford yet to add another one for linux. NEXT system, going NVME for some of the games)

It cropped up after an update and a change to what is loaded and how..

20 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

It is a loading issue, that's known. That's why the pauses are shorter on an SSD.

Because the SSD got better transfer rate and faster access.

Since you got the problem at windows and linux i don't think it is an OS/driver problem.

The problem must be more at the remaining hardware.

Unplug all unnessary periphery. Maybe use a different mouse or use a different USB slot or use USB if you used a ps/2 mouse/keyboard (yeah i know they are rare 🙂 )

When you use a soundcard maybe disable that and use the onboard sound.

Check if you can update the BIOS for the mainboard.

But if nothing help, sorry no further idea.

I don't know if this is what you mean. I'll be moving, ususally on  a bike, bicycle, mini, whatever, and the screen will stop and I'll be elevated a few feet off the ground, then I fall back and everything is ok. This bug has been around awhile. Don't recall it on V8. It's random and no big deal.

I'm not doing any more TS on the loading issue. No point.  If you have a high density area of POI (or a large poi),  you can get the pause.

After that, it's fine.

3 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I don't know if this is what you mean. I'll be moving, ususally on  a bike, bicycle, mini, whatever, and the screen will stop and I'll be elevated a few feet off the ground, then I fall back and everything is ok. This bug has been around awhile. Don't recall it on V8. It's random and no big deal.

Yup, that's it. The invisible forcefield.  :D

It's very very random.