A19.5 b60 Twitch Login Fails

Linux.

"Connection Failed. Try again!"    is all it says.

Nothing in the logs about the login at all.

Now, the oauth page has:

After clicking Authorize, you will be redirected to http://localhost:56207, a website:

So I click authorize and then get the connection failed.

Port forwarding for the game is ok (33100)  I even opened up 56207, no difference.

There's not a lot of info on how to get it going.

Do I have to have the stream live?

Wee bitta help here pls kthx   :)

oh, no mods at this point.

I’m on Ubuntu and I’ve seen this. I have not done much troubleshooting, and I’m mostly saying I can get it to work today but I’m clueless as to why sometimes it just fails to connect: 

- I use OBS to stream. It seems when I start the game, then start up OBS and start steaming the twitch integration seems to connect more often the first attempt. Probably just a fluke.

- it usually takes me 1-2 attempts with the obs already running solution. 

other information: 

- the default browser I’m using (that the o auth pops up in) is Firefox.

- since I’m streaming, I’m also already logged into twitch via the Firefox browser before I even launch steam. Yeah, it shouldn’t matter but that’s what I do.

I had some more persistent “will not connect to twitch” issues awhile back and maybe restarting steam (so shutdown game, then steam) may help clear something out as that’s how I got to my “standard way to start my game.  Once again, For me it’s more of a ritual I just do vs knowing why it does/does not work. 

edit: my “way” is

- launch firefox.

- login to twitch. Set to “online”

- start steam

- start game. 
- once game loaded, hit “esc” to pause

- start obs. start streaming game.

- go back to game. Choose login twitch.

- Firefox (already up) launches new tab for auth. Allow auth.

- twitch integration likely to connect the first time. If it fails, just try to connect again. If fails maybe 3 times, shut down everything you started  and start entire process again.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

i did do a small video that may or may not help... i do not have the answers to most, my run in was basically, addons in browser interfere and i had a case where twitch integration needed to see me streaming and not in a intermission screen.

The video shows exactly what I saw, and indeed, answers what I thought it might be.

The patchnotes, and the pdf do NOT mention this in any way.  oops!

Odd that the game needs to be selected in obs though.  This means we have to stream what our settings are etc.

(unless you have an image that can cover the screen you can fire up like I do for a certain mods loading image. (I hide that))

Thanks Unholyjoe!

yes.. just make something to cover it until done and viola. i showed what i did because i do not plan to utilize it so not worried about what they see.

i actually discovered the issues with addons in an earlier attempt and then stumbled onto the obs and twitch integration in the demo.

glad it actually helped someone :)

i still have problems, took me close to 25min to connect, click connect, it open the broswer tab, soon as the button is there to be clicked to authrize the game says FAILED.. 

what browser are people using to connect? anyidea id pop up blockers or add blockers might be doing this?

1 hour ago, OzzFreak said:

i still have problems, took me close to 25min to connect, click connect, it open the broswer tab, soon as the button is there to be clicked to authrize the game says FAILED.. 

what browser are people using to connect? anyidea id pop up blockers or add blockers might be doing this?

yes i just did a small video about some things that i found caused me issues. 3-4 posts above this one in fact.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I use both linux (Ubuntu 18.04) & windows 10.  I am not a streamer, but I did a lot of testing with twitch integration.  You don't need to stream, but if you are logged into twitch before hand, it will help speed up the process.  I have never been live personally, other than as an extra on stream, or in discord.  

I did most of my twitch integration offline.  There's two main conflicts I can see happening, one is something that can be easily addressed, the latter not so much.  If you login to twitch before your session, the authentication should just be a button click, without needing to login.  There is a timeout on the login.  If you take too long to login, it will fail.

There's something else that we noticed.  Sometimes twitch can get finicky.  You could login one day with no fails at all, and then the next day have to re attempt 3 or 4 times.  

There might be something else happening with your network.  

• 3 months later...

I don't know for sure the exact details of the scripts working in the background, but i'm pretty sure of the following dependencies:

When clicking on "Login Twitch", the game must be able to start a web request via a browser - the one the PC owner has configured for his system. This browser must be able to execute javascript from the source "twitch" AS WELL AS from the source "localhost". I assume that the game opens a temporary http server on the client side when initiating the authorization request, where it waits for the authorization script from twitch to do a redirect to that temporary service on the client side (game on localhost). If either the script execution or the resource loading from twitch or the script execution or the resource loading from localhost is blocked (which, for example, is the case in my case per default), the "Login Twitch" will fail.

What you need to do if you have security measures in your system default browser in place, is to allow those resources and script executions from twitch and localhost.

Since the funpimps don't give away any text containing information on the "twitch settings" dialogue, i had to search the internet for help on this topic. I landet here in this forum. Since even here in this forum, the posts are completely wischi-waschi about the real problem, i had to play around with atomic ideas picked from them. Hopefully, a little technical text will be of help to technicians who are very well aware of terms like "browser", "security breach", "security measures", "script execution prevention" and so on, but have a rather hard time to interpret the babble of IT amateurs... Yes, such a text will not be understood by normal people, but "normal people" never have the problem at hand - which occurs solely to people who HAVE knowledge of IT things, because only those people will ever do anything to protect themselves appropriately from threats on the internet.