KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

14 minutes ago, Gouki said:

Hi KingSlayerGM

I have tried to make a map with the vanilla + CompoPack list, but it always shows me this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "gui.py", line 677, in generate
  File "ntime.py", line 11, in ntime
  File "world.py", line 661, in run
  File "world.py", line 58, in __init__
  File "poi.py", line 38, in __init__
  File "poi.py", line 38, in <genexpr>
TypeError: __init__() takes 9 positional arguments but 17 were given

when generating a map with the vanilla list the map is made without problem.
Nor does it generate a list of POIs.
What do I have to do to generate a map with CompoPack?
Regards

Thank you for reporting the problem and showing the error message! I was able to find the bug easily. The fix will be in the next patch.

Do you also have issues with generating a list of POIs from a prefabs folder?

1 hour ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Thank you for reporting the problem and showing the error message! I was able to find the bug easily. The fix will be in the next patch.

Do you also have issues with generating a list of POIs from a prefabs folder?

Yes, it does not generate any list of POIs, I have all the prefabs in the Prefabs folder of the game (vanilla + CompoPack 47), when I select in Advanced Options the folder where all the prefabs are, I click on generate the list, but it does not generate anything.
Or am I doing it wrong?
It is good to know that the error is easy to correct, I will wait for the next version.
Regards

1 minute ago, Gouki said:

Yes, it does not generate any list of POIs, I have all the prefabs in the Prefabs folder of the game (vanilla + CompoPack 47), when I select in Advanced Options the folder where all the prefabs are, I click on generate the list, but it does not generate anything.
Or am I doing it wrong?
It is good to know that the error is easy to correct, I will wait for the next version.
Regards

You need to select the file where the list will be saved. It is near the "generate list" button. If you do this, I think it will work. Let me know.

it's probably my fault, I should make the "save as" menu come up automatically.

4 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

You need to select the file where the list will be saved. It is near the "generate list" button. If you do this, I think it will work. Let me know.

it's probably my fault, I should make the "save as" menu come up automatically.

Thanks, after a while I check it and comment if it worked for me or not.
Regards

I just checked it and it worked, now if the list of Prefabs is generated.
Select the folder where the game prefabs and Compopack are (click on POI's folder) and then I had to make a text file (click on POI's file), I marked that that list was already there, overwritten the file, press after generating and it worked.
Now I must check if the list works in (Custom list) to generate the map.
Regards

1 minute ago, Gouki said:

I just checked it and it worked, now if the list of Prefabs is generated.
Select the folder where the game prefabs and Compopack are (click on POI's folder) and then I had to make a text file (click on POI's file), I marked that that list was already there, overwritten the file, press after generating and it worked.
Now I must check if the list works in (Custom list) to generate the map.
Regards

This process is probably not intuitive. I will probably redesign the UI here. I'm thinking to just leave the button alone. When you click it it should ask you where the Prefabs folder is, and then it should ask you where to save the list..

9 hours ago, Gouki said:

Or am I doing it wrong?
Regards

The patch for "vanilla+compo" is online, enjoy :)

The UI changes for the prefab list creation will come later.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:33 PM, KingSlayerGM said:

The patch for "vanilla+compo" is online, enjoy :)

The UI changes for the prefab list creation will come later.

Excellent!  I'm running a 16K map at the moment.  But I was hoping there was a 12K option for map size :)  Thank you for your hard work.

5 hours ago, Cadamier said:

Excellent!  I'm running a 16K map at the moment.  But I was hoping there was a 12K option for map size :)  Thank you for your hard work.

I can easily add a 12k option :)

I'm also thinking of adding a 20k, but I'm not sure the game will support it. I have to test that

In one of the alpha's we got serious studdering and a massive FPS drop.  I think that was in part due to the fact that back then the worlds where limitless.  I think then TFP found some of the issues due to world size numbers of spawns and supported was limited 16K maps.  If you look back you'll also see that shortly afterwards an Island format was taken - that further reduced map size, number of towns and more importantly to the player - playable size.  Back when there was a towne at 0, 0 towns where huge.  Then with adding things and changing things I think it'll drop again.  But with the island format towns haven't been that big.  I've seen a few reach 18k citizens before that but now it rarely reaches 12K now-a-days.  Since 'we've' (8 other players) been playing I've found that for a 'wide range' of systems 16K can be too much; and even for rented Dedi's.  And that's why I've been making worlds at 12K for our servers.  As 'we' rarely have any FPS drops with them, but with 16K maps some of us do, including studdering and lag too.

25 minutes ago, Cadamier said:

In one of the alpha's we got serious studdering and a massive FPS drop...

Thank you for letting me know! I will definitely add a 12K option in the next release. Which I hope will be this week.

I think that another reason why they reduced the size of worlds is generation. They moved the world generation from in-game, to before the game. So now time of generation is a critical factor. I remember in the dev diary there was a discussion about this and they said they didn't want to ship the game with a 16K option, if that was going to be too slow.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

On 4/12/2021 at 3:41 AM, Cadamier said:

12K is in version 0.2.0! I have also tried to add 20K, but the game doesn't work with anything above 16K :(

Thank you very much KingSlayerGM, I really liked how the shores of the lakes and rivers are blurred, they are not so abrupt and also the ability to increase the size of the biomes, my map is beautiful.
The generation of worlds is faster than with Nitrogen, although there are exceptions, because certain prefabs do not add them because they do not have AllowedTownShip (I think so), but that can be easily fixed.
I have also noticed that it goes lagged if I leave the size of the mountains in medium, so for the moment I leave them in small.
Thank you for creating this great tool.
Regards

Edited by Gouki (see edit history)

On 4/12/2021 at 6:32 AM, KingSlayerGM said:

Thank you for letting me know! I will definitely add a 12K option in the next release. Which I hope will be this week.

I think that another reason why they reduced the size of worlds is generation. They moved the world generation from in-game, to before the game. So now time of generation is a critical factor. I remember in the dev diary there was a discussion about this and they said they didn't want to ship the game with a 16K option, if that was going to be too slow.

COOL!!!  Definitely as you've noted... I seem to remember that TFP hard coded the 16k limit, unless you made a map with Nitrogen.  Anyway if you look closer at the cities before and after - you'll also notice that total lootable area has dropped massively.  I haven't looked at the numbers but I've guesstimated that it's above 25% to upwards of 40% :(  There is a definite noticeable drop in sky scrapers too.   I miss the old time - city at 0-0 cause you didn't venture in there till you got some serious levels and stuff!  And you did get serious stuff for going there too! lol   Oh well.  Thanks for adding the 12k option!

4 hours ago, Cadamier said:

COOL!!!  Definitely as you've noted... I seem to remember that TFP hard coded the 16k limit, unless you made a map with Nitrogen.  Anyway if you look closer at the cities before and after - you'll also notice that total lootable area has dropped massively.  I haven't looked at the numbers but I've guesstimated that it's above 25% to upwards of 40% :(  There is a definite noticeable drop in sky scrapers too.   I miss the old time - city at 0-0 cause you didn't venture in there till you got some serious levels and stuff!  And you did get serious stuff for going there too! lol   Oh well.  Thanks for adding the 12k option!

Wait, what? With nitro you can make maps larger than 16K and they work?

Yeah, back in the day some people ran 32k maps.  One guy said he had a 48k map - unverified.  With my group anything over 16k was too much; but 16k was the sweet spot.  Then the lag happened and everything changed.  I'm sure that was alpha 16 to 16.4 or around there; when Nitrogen first came out.

5 hours ago, Cadamier said:

Yeah, back in the day some people ran 32k maps.  One guy said he had a 48k map - unverified.  With my group anything over 16k was too much; but 16k was the sweet spot.  Then the lag happened and everything changed.  I'm sure that was alpha 16 to 16.4 or around there; when Nitrogen first came out.

Ohh I see. Yeah, back in the day I also saw huge maps.

I had a tester of 3 Worlds at 8K. The eclectic transitions between biomes was superb and a World will never get dull. This is a very decent plus.

The terrain is also very smooth and offers a pretty gentle meander. The option to add a little bit more noise would be nice.

Spoiler

20210418023903_1.thumb.jpg.4f325ef97f73f223b3ff5096c5482d64.jpg

I also wonder if it would be possible to reduce the impact of roads creating raised banks. Some of them are pretty long and requires driving to a flatter area to get onto a road.

Spoiler

20210418023335_1.thumb.jpg.d63e2801f3ab05a7cd5bcc7a9cc3218b.jpg

It's early days, and I won't even ask if we can tag selective POIs into selective groups or assign set limits for specific POIs. Maybe in the future.

All in all, another treasure for the community in the making.

3 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Mmmkay, gonna have a look at this.

If POI placement obeys biome restrictions (as per the POI XML file) then I will be VERY happy.

It doesn't. But I added it to the todo list.
Anyway, at the moment is obeys to the Zoning and AllowedTownships properties in the xml.

2 hours ago, arramus said:

I had a tester of 3 Worlds at 8K...

Thank you for the feedback :)
I added rougher terrain to the todo list.
I added a smoothing road banks to the todo list.

Regarding POIs.. At the moment POIs are placed according to Zoning and AllowedTownships properties inside the xml. I will probably also add the AllowedBiomes property in the next version.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)