KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

Which link? If the link to Kinggen at the start of this thread no longer works it may have been removed or has expired(?). The link to cp47 will no longer work as that has been removed so that nobody tries to get it working with a20. I'm afraid I can't supply links to either myself as I can't maintain them and I respect the decision to remove cp47. Someone else may be able to provide links but personally I'd recommend waiting for Teragon and cp48. Sorry I can't help much more. I hope you understand.

Does anyone have experience with Snow Cities not generating inside of King Gen, I can only seem to get a Snow City if I set the world biome to Snow only. I have tried a multitude of tests varying from small map size to XL, some with 2 biomes and others with all biomes. A 4k map with just the Wasteland and Snow has seen only cities in the Wasteland, most of which border the Snow. It seems that all generation methods struggle to push a city into the Snow. There are threads on the Steam page from 6 years ago in which people couldn't get a snow city to spawn. I have thought about custom making an entire map but I love the randomness of things.

23 hours ago, Exera said:

Does anyone have experience with Snow Cities not generating inside of King Gen, I can only seem to get a Snow City if I set the world biome to Snow only. I have tried a multitude of tests varying from small map size to XL, some with 2 biomes and others with all biomes. A 4k map with just the Wasteland and Snow has seen only cities in the Wasteland, most of which border the Snow. It seems that all generation methods struggle to push a city into the Snow. There are threads on the Steam page from 6 years ago in which people couldn't get a snow city to spawn. I have thought about custom making an entire map but I love the randomness of things.

Create a normal map and then edit the biomes.png file to be all snow.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:15 PM, Jugom said:

Create a normal map and then edit the biomes.png file to be all snow.

I don't want an all snow map. I'm not too familiar with the editing of files for 7 days to die. Basically what I'm asking for is a better way to generate Snow CIties as the only way I've managed to do so was to make a snow only map via King Gen, there's obviously seeds out there that contain Snow Cities but I would much rather a random generated one where I can find it myself rather than looking at the map and knowing where everything is.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:11 PM, Exera said:

I don't want an all snow map. I'm not too familiar with the editing of files for 7 days to die. Basically what I'm asking for is a better way to generate Snow CIties as the only way I've managed to do so was to make a snow only map via King Gen, there's obviously seeds out there that contain Snow Cities but I would much rather a random generated one where I can find it myself rather than looking at the map and knowing where everything is.

you can edit the biomes map to whatever biomes you want using any half decent image editor. is not much file editing but just painting over the current file.
there are more than a couple tutorials out there and it is very easy to do

Edited by Jugom (see edit history)

57 minutes ago, AlexanAce said:

How to make rivers ? i'm new to this

Coincidentally I'm just finishing editing a video on heightmap editing to follow on from the first two Maptoolz videos. That includes how to make rivers. Should be available to watch in 24 hours but the other two videos are essential viewing to learn the basics of the new mapediting system. Well the first one is. Link is a couple of comments above. Hope it helps. 

Hi Brad - I had dragged the whole Map Toolz folder over - after unzipping it. . .   that put the actual exe at a lower lever, so of course - it wouldn't run, hence my deleting the post. Once it was put where it should be - it was recognised. After that I re-did "the stoopid-looking biome" to one which would make both you and I happy, did the convert bit, started a new game - and there it was! Two snow areas gone - more desert and green stuff, plus a bit of wasteland, lots of dots and it now looks like a map. I followed your suggestion and included the RWG Improvement mod - it works very well, too!  I followed that by running MPMG's Preview maker to get a preview.png. Altogether - it's a regrettable, but good and acceptable necessary replacement for the lovable-but-unfinished KingGen. I'm sure Gabriele must be sore over the A20 Update. It is, however, all part of gaming.   Lastly - much of this would be very difficult without you and your excellent video's - we need and appreciate them! Thank you.

ATB

pj

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

I'm pleased you got it working @paulj_3. It's a good time saver. I love that you don't have to mess with alpha layers on the roads and that the water map just updates itself. 

Yes it's a shame about kinggen. I really liked that. 

Thank you so much for the kind words about the videos. I pleased they've been helpful. There's more on the way. New one on working with layers in gimp and brush densities should be out in in just over 12 hours once I get a thumbnail thrown together. I hate doing thumbnails! Haha.

All the best PJ.

Brad.

I'm having quite a bit of trouble figuring out two basic things:

1) Is there a full-featured map generator for A20 at all right now?  By full-featured I mean something like the large number of choices possible in KingGen/NitroGen.

2) Is there anything where I can either generate a map online or on a Mac?

KingGen online seems not to be working, or is paid only.

@BasicallyACat 

A 1). No.

A 2). I don't use a Mac, sorry! However - I've seen other posts that say "it's not working", (and here I'm assuming 'not downloadable'), but I've tried it each time, and had no issues and did download it again on reading your post. I will share this on my OneDrive if you wish - just pm me or post a reply here.
KG still works and produces good, perfectly usable and  configurable maps with A20, but can/will only create the 'old-style' road system, as mentioned by Brad earlier in this thread.  The towns, cities, poi's, the biome.png and heightmaps - all can be changed as you wish, and work perfectly.

A better solution (IMO!) - you might want to check out Brad's 'Map Toolz' video, as it will give you a good insight as to what is possible now, using the new - and much improved RWG system.  Brad now has three 'how-to' videos on 'Toolz' - his site for all his videos is here. - look for 14, 15 and 16.

In addition - I followed his advice and added 'MageDaddy's' Improved RWG mod - which adds about fifty lines to the rwgmixer.xml - altering the zoning numbers which makes for better town/city/Old West/commercial/downtown/etc.,  layouts. This is just a single xml in his folder which can be dropped into your 'Mods' folder, or the xml just added to your own mod.  Here.

Secondly - after the map had been produced - I used MGMP's Map Previewer mod to give a good preview, showing the Trader locations by name, plus the Start Points.  Here..

This is not any more difficult than using KingGen - it's just different,  but it will give you a map where you can control that ugly biome, or fix a heightmap to how you like it to be, and add a number of other improvements while being fully compatible with the already-good A20 RWG system.

Sorry for being long-winded - I just hope this helps!

Good afternoon. I'm using King Gen for my server's map. I purposely chose NO TRADERS in order to have my custom prefabs inserted later.

My custom traders work, but the problem is that the game is not detecting any traders. It says TRADER: No traders.

How could I make the game use my custom traders for the trader quest?

Best regards.

@laila   Hi Laila.

Hmmm...  I have no clue re: the mechanism with which the game determines this, nor KG's method for stopping them from appearing in the map, BUT what I might suggest is that you remove all of the default Trader files from the Prefabs folder, leaving yours in there, and then remake the map with KG - creating a new poilist.txt, while leaving the "no Traders" blank.

pj

On 4/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, laila said:

Good afternoon. I'm using King Gen for my server's map. I purposely chose NO TRADERS in order to have my custom prefabs inserted later.

My custom traders work, but the problem is that the game is not detecting any traders. It says TRADER: No traders.

How could I make the game use my custom traders for the trader quest?

Best regards.

Maybe there are non in the forest biome?

The default starter quest only looks there so would need an edit?  Line 289 quests.xml

<objective type="Goto" id="trader" value="5" phase="1">
			<property name="biome_filter_type" value="OnlyBiome" />
			<property name="biome_filter" value="pine_forest" />
			<!-- <property name="biome_filter_type" value="ExcludeBiome" /> -->
			<!-- <property name="biome_filter" value="wasteland" /> -->
			<property name="nav_object" value="go_to_trader" />
		</objective>

On 3/31/2022 at 2:22 PM, Tallman Brad said:

I'm pleased you got it working @paulj_3. It's a good time saver. I love that you don't have to mess with alpha layers on the roads and that the water map just updates itself. 

Yes it's a shame about kinggen. I really liked that. 

Thank you so much for the kind words about the videos. I pleased they've been helpful. There's more on the way. New one on working with layers in gimp and brush densities should be out in in just over 12 hours once I get a thumbnail thrown together. I hate doing thumbnails! Haha.

All the best PJ.

Brad.

the download for MapToolz is not working for me, says connection refused...?

can anyone provide a working link?

edit: nevermind I found the link in the comments of the first vid

Edited by ktrain
found (see edit history)