Improved RWG Mod

magedaddy

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/1921
https://github.com/Warlockdaddy/ImprovedRWG

Relatively simple mod that improves random world generation to give more cities, towns, and POIs.

This is done through editing the rwgmixer to increase town and city counts as well as minimum and maximum tilesizes. 

Here's a 12k map generated with the mod (59 T5 POIs)
spacer.png

And here's a 12k map generated without the mod (10 T5 POIs)
spacer.png

As you can see, the mod essentially allows you to double (or over double) the amount of cities and towns that are generated with the in-game RWG. This allows you to get many more of the juicy T4 and T5 buildings that your heart desires.

Mod has been tested with 6k, 8k, 10k, and 12k. Feel free to go higher, should work if you want it to. 

Have fun 😛

It's funny because I made a mod just like this last night and am still testing it out. There doesn't appear to be a way to pack the buildings closer together, but you can adjust the weighting of districts. In my mod, I slightly increased the weighting for commercial and industrial disctricts and turned down the residential and downtown disctricts a tad. I wasn't going to publish mine until I had a chance to play through it a bit, but so far I haven't had any performance issues with the bigger cities except for more noticeable pop-in from trees and buildings up a given street. But worth it so far for the improvement to POI generation, imo.

1 hour ago, LastTugBoat243 said:

Is it possible to make cities denser. Like building in the cities being packed closer together or maybe just cities being made up of more downtown districts.

Yes and no. Basically what you can do is add more tiles to each town/city therefore increasing the town and city sizes individually. Unfortunately this will not affect the actual "density" of the city/towns because you cannot "condense" the tiles, they are always the same size. Hope this answered your question.

10 minutes ago, LastTugBoat243 said:

I would love to play this mod. Could it work in combination with the improved RWG mod?

It should if I pare it down to the district weighting changes, but I'm still not sure it even made an impact.            .       I'll run some extreme RWG's and see what happens.

Just now, magedaddy said:

Unless there's another mod called Improved RWG somewhere, this *is* the improved RWG mod page haha. (So yeah, I think it should work with itself :classic_laugh:)

Oh no sorry I was talking about KorgX3's mod he was talking his mod that would increase the amount of commercial and industrial districts in cities.

I didn't mean to confuse.

Just now, LastTugBoat243 said:

Oh no sorry I was talking about KorgX3's mod he was talking his mod that would increase the amount of commercial and industrial districts in cities.

I didn't mean to confuse.

Haha yeah I got that now. My bad 😛

Also you should be aware that this mod also affects district weighting, in particular the industrial, commercial, and downtown district weighting (changes them all to 0.6). So if you add another mod that changes the same ones, whichever one comes later in the load order will override the other one.

I just ran a quick RWG test, and the weighting does make a substantial difference on the districting with a couple of caveats. It doesn't affect regions like the ghost towns or the smaller "country towns." Also, standard cities and towns default what the code refers to as the "outskirt district" to being residential. Options are that one could possible remove ghost towns and country towns altogether and change the default outskirt district to something else. Weighting the commercial district at 1.0 and the others at 0.1 made cities turn up about 2/3 commercial and 1/3 residential (because of the outskirt rule which is defined elsewhere).

It looks like Mage already has the weighting covered so an easy fix would be to adjust the district weighting in his file to values that you're looking for, keeping in mind that residential is going to force its way into cities and towns regardless of the weighting. The weighting values can be adjusted in the last three xpath lines of his /Config/rwgmixer.xml file. 0.6 each is pretty generous and more than I had originally tuned it. I think I used 0.5 commercial, 0.2 downtown, 0.3 industrial, and 0.4 residential in mine. Also, if you copy one of those lines down and change the district name to 'residential' that will allow you to also adjust the weighting of non-outskirts residential buildings. I think the game default for residential is 0.5.

1 hour ago, KorgX3 said:

I just ran a quick RWG test, and the weighting does make a substantial difference on the districting with a couple of caveats. It doesn't affect regions like the ghost towns or the smaller "country towns." Also, standard cities and towns default what the code refers to as the "outskirt district" to being residential. Options are that one could possible remove ghost towns and country towns altogether and change the default outskirt district to something else. Weighting the commercial district at 1.0 and the others at 0.1 made cities turn up about 2/3 commercial and 1/3 residential (because of the outskirt rule which is defined elsewhere).

It looks like Mage already has the weighting covered so an easy fix would be to adjust the district weighting in his file to values that you're looking for, keeping in mind that residential is going to force its way into cities and towns regardless of the weighting. The weighting values can be adjusted in the last three xpath lines of his /Config/rwgmixer.xml file. 0.6 each is pretty generous and more than I had originally tuned it. I think I used 0.5 commercial, 0.2 downtown, 0.3 industrial, and 0.4 residential in mine. Also, if you copy one of those lines down and change the district name to 'residential' that will allow you to also adjust the weighting of non-outskirts residential buildings. I think the game default for residential is 0.5.

Yeah exactly right. Just open up my rwgmixer.xml from the mod and edit the values at the bottom, those are the district weightings. I increased them for various reasons, industrial was at 0.2 and POIs that depend on the industrial district (such as factory_lg_01 and factory_lg_02) were showing up in extremely small numbers on my maps. So I increased it threefold (0.2--->0.6) to compensate for that. And I have OCD so I wanted all of the weighting for those important districts to be the same, which is why I increased them all to 0.6 😛

50 minutes ago, magedaddy said:

And I have OCD so I wanted all of the weighting for those important districts to be the same, which is why I increased them all to 0.6 😛

I feel that. I figured I'd be OK, but I also decided to go crazy and made my cities 40-52 tiles large so I figured I'd be OK with POI gen. So far, it's turned out largely the way I'd hoped except that I started in a town and not a city so my above performance statement was quite wrong. I just cruised through the second biggest city on my bike and had to turn my graphics settings to medium where I'm usually running ultra. 😅 Even then, I'm occasionally dipping under 30fps. So your tile sizes are much more sensible!

28 minutes ago, KorgX3 said:

I feel that. I figured I'd be OK, but I also decided to go crazy and made my cities 40-52 tiles large so I figured I'd be OK with POI gen. So far, it's turned out largely the way I'd hoped except that I started in a town and not a city so my above performance statement was quite wrong. I just cruised through the second biggest city on my bike and had to turn my graphics settings to medium where I'm usually running ultra. 😅 Even then, I'm occasionally dipping under 30fps. So your tile sizes are much more sensible!

Yeah, I intentionally didn't go *too* crazy (although people can feel free to edit the mod to increase as they wish) in order to preserve performance for some people haha. Still a sizable increase though 😃

I just tested it, and you can eliminate the ghost towns and small rural towns altogether to make room for more regular towns and cities. Now I just need to find the sweet spot because the RWG I just ran had a couple of the cities butting right up against one another which would only cause the same performance problems I was having before. lol

37 minutes ago, KorgX3 said:

I just tested it, and you can eliminate the ghost towns and small rural towns altogether to make room for more regular towns and cities. Now I just need to find the sweet spot because the RWG I just ran had a couple of the cities butting right up against one another which would only cause the same performance problems I was having before. lol

Yeah you can eliminate oldtown and countrytown if you wish but I like to keep them pretty low instead for variety 😆

15 hours ago, Kemloor said:

I installed the mod but i haven't seen anything in the generator for a 12k map option

You need to go to new world, switch to random world gen, then click "advanced" at the bottom to bring up the advanced world generation tool. Then you can select 12k from there.

5 minutes ago, magedaddy said:

You need to go to new world, switch to random world gen, then click "advanced" at the bottom to bring up the advanced world generation tool. Then you can select 12k from there.

Although, I typically play overhaul mods so they might have added those options in to the generator through code magic. In the case that you are playing *just* vanilla, you will need to: install a server version of 7 days to die (steam, tools, you can download and install it there if you have 7d2d on yourt account), then open up the directory where it was installed and edit the serverconfig.xml file to have the desired map size. Generating a 12k map with RWG takes a while though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Sorry if this has been answered i am in a bit of a rush. So, this increases existing POI's and contain no custom POI's? If the answer is yes one would presume it's fine to just load straight into server side? ( Obviously a new word gen ) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a bit new to hosting 7DTD servers are we are playing around with prefabs, RWG, etc. and used your mod to better our RWG on the server. I noticed that T5 buildings, for example, the skyscrapers are very rare to non existent now; we are trying to find them. Is this relevant to your adjustments? https://7daystodiemods.com/skyscraper-fix/ 

I'm wondering if the script didn't work on our server RWG... this is a 10k map

2022-05-03_12-46-02.png

11 hours ago, TiTANSTORM said:

I'm a bit new to hosting 7DTD servers are we are playing around with prefabs, RWG, etc. and used your mod to better our RWG on the server. I noticed that T5 buildings, for example, the skyscrapers are very rare to non existent now; we are trying to find them. Is this relevant to your adjustments? https://7daystodiemods.com/skyscraper-fix/ 

I'm wondering if the script didn't work on our server RWG... this is a 10k map

2022-05-03_12-46-02.png

I think this is down to how many cities you have set to spawn? Skyscrapers only in cities.  I have used this mod to have dozens of cities on 10k maps, though I do find having an insane amount of cities has a bit of a performance hit!