Map Previewer for 7DTD, compatible A20 and mods

7DTDMPMG

Here is the "Map Previewer" for A20, version 2.1, only for Windows 10 and above.

It works with 7DTD vanilla and mods.

Traders and special POI of DF (Eve, Caitlin, Labs, Bunkers, ...) are displayed.

New in this version :

- add: option to display or not the legend
- add: option to display or not the spawn points
- modify: spawn points are more visible (a big yellow X on the map)
- add: option to open the preview after generation
- add: display the seed in the title (if exists)
- modify: an application icon is created on the destop
- modify: the title and legend have a background color 

You can see the main window in attachement.

All the infos, support and download link are here : https://discord.gg/QZbJWDp9vB

1148659454_7DTD-MPv2.1.thumb.jpg.639d9fc2719e1f59e0aed73d0c2fdc16.jpg

Edited by 7DTDMPMG
only for W10 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

just tried this and the default suggested folders do not work. i had to use this instead  C:/Users/*******/AppData/Roaming/7DaysToDie/GeneratedWorlds/Keikeno County , for the world folder and this C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die for the game folder. 

got this error/warning during generation.

### PrefabList - POI error : house_new_mansion_03.tts - [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die\\Data\\Prefabs\\Pois/house_new_mansion_03.tts'

Thanks for your post.

Yes, the install game folder and the map folders should vary depending on your installation/version/hard drives/ ...

The path you choose, will be saved for next previews.

You have a warning because TFP gives us a broken POI. The "house_new_mansion_03" has only one file description (it should be 6 !).

It is just a warning, the software will run normaly.

Super tool! I had only one issue - I see no bright yellow Spawn Points on my first (and only) map yet. (There should be 13 in this map.) I have zoomed in tight and scrolled every piece of the map, yet don't see one. (but I may also be blind.)  It's not really an issue, as the spawnpoints xml gives them, and one can manually add them to the map.

Other than that - this little tool has a number of unexpected features, and produces a very good map, and with (what I think are) "common sense" colours, too.  The building type area colour codes being listed along the bottom, along with the Traders being marked with circles - and named - is  a real bonus. 

Many Thanks and much success with it!

PS...   After opening the png in PaintShopPro and increasing the color intensity/depth - I can see a pair of very small, yellow, crescent-shaped lines at the "T" junctions of the roads right near each of the Traders - which is the approximate location where I have spawned in each of the last five or six A20 RWG maps started. I'm not sure if these are in fact, the SP's, as they might also be some end-point of the new road system - a junction point or something - but if they are SP's - can you make them a little larger, please?   :encouragement:
Many Thanks!

pj

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

To be honest - this is one of the reasons why I hadn't used 7D2DMPMG's little tool after I saw it in December. The Discord link worked ok, but it took me to an "LFischer-something" website with big messages blocking half of the content - and all in the French language. It appeared to want money - I don't know - I don't speak French and I wasn't going to press any keys that might commit me to "doing something bad" - so I got out of there, and didn't pursue the Map Tool until January 9th. This time I did some "Bing" translation, and got the English language page - there is an option, but it's covered by one of those pop-up boxes. Not a good site to host something like this - whether free or for retail.
Otherwise - it's a very good addon for 7Days.
Below is a jpg of my current A20 map with a biome from A19, and a 7DTDMPMG's preview-creator makes all the difference when looking for a trader, or figuring out just where you spawned - or an easier way to get somewhere.

👍

preview.jpg

Thanks for all your comments. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think. The developpers needs your feedback.

I was searching for a free, fast (even in free), easy, with no account, download site and 1fichier have all that.

- i am not affiliate with 1fichier in any way

- i use the free download

- i make no money when someone download from this site

- if someone want to host another download link, you can. You can use and share this software for free.

- i wasn't aware of the "French" default language, so i have modified the links on discord (i just add "/en/" into the links) (btw there always was an "English" button at the top of the page)

- i use an add-blocker (who doesn't ?), it is "Ublock Origin" and i have no ads where i download from 1fichier.

OK! ! ! !     Thanks for this, 7D.  :encouragement:
I even suspect that it was - or is - the major reason for the few comments that were posted in the first three weeks. Your application works very well, and better than others that I've tried - and you have taken the time to add some features that are very useful.  I'm also glad you have allowed others to host another download link, as I wanted to for Lew Zephyr, above, but without your permission it's not something I would do so thank you for that, too!

All the best,

pj

(sigh)   Having very happily used this great Previewer since my posts above - and helping Lew in his problems downloading the Previewer (Jan 19th - six posts above) - I now have his original problem when I tried to download the 2.1 update:
(LewZephyr said :-
"Wanted to check it out, but after getting into discord your link to download it failed then said I had to wait 60 min to download another file because I didn't subscribe. ")

This is the same issue I have now. In my case I cannot disable any ad blocker or potential spam/malware warning before the link times out. Any error in getting to the 1fichier site results in the site making you wait  one hour before trying a second time.  Can you Please change to a different, more popular, file sharing system, like Dropbox, MS OneDrive, Nexus or GitHub - something like that. This 1fichier site is a nightmare, and I will bet very good money that I'm not the only one who is turned off by that site.

Your Map Previewer is a very good addon for 7D2D, and so is the KingGen Map Generator, and when someone wants to create their own map - the two together make an extremely good combination, and I - and probably lots of others here - do just that. I know I can plod on with 2.0, but falling behind with patches and updates is not a good practice to follow.

Best regards,

Paul J.

Strange. . . . Followed exactly the same process as above this morning and found a setup.exe there instead of a zip file. It downloaded immediately, and I was able to run and install the Previewer perfectly.  No issues now, map looks even better, so - for whatever you did, MPMG - thank you!

Below is the 8k map I made with KingGen yesterday - A20_3b with default prefabs + ZZTong's prefabs, with the preview being created this morning. There's a single SP near the lower-left city.  The trader locations are very visible, though the pale blue wording (at the bottom) for the ("COMMERCIAL" and "HUGH (1)" ) are kinda hard to see - as probably would be the yellow SP "X", if it were to be in a desert biome.
Apart from those comments - this Previewer is "fixed" and I'm a happy camper - it's a great addon for 7D2D! Thanks again, MPMG.

pj

preview.png

A Python expert - like MPMG might have to jump in an help follow the instructions if you don't have any Python experience - which I don't (but may be able to figure it out).

This link has a video which addresses your exact issue (I think):-
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Issue+raised+and+answered+at+https%3A%2F%2Fsocial.msdn.microsoft.com%2FForums%2Fen-US%2Fa28331ae-19a3-4a34-b3ba-1e8fd4430375%2Fmissing-apimswincore-dlls#kpvalbx=_XIMvYr3kFI-2tAbNxoeADQ26

2 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

A Python expert - like MPMG might have to jump in an help follow the instructions if you don't have any Python experience - which I don't (but may be able to figure it out).

This link has a video which addresses your exact issue (I think):-
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Issue+raised+and+answered+at+https%3A%2F%2Fsocial.msdn.microsoft.com%2FForums%2Fen-US%2Fa28331ae-19a3-4a34-b3ba-1e8fd4430375%2Fmissing-apimswincore-dlls#kpvalbx=_XIMvYr3kFI-2tAbNxoeADQ26

Thank you for that. I see it is probably because I (yes still) use Win 7. I will maybe someday move on but for now will have to deal with this happening sometimes. But again, thank you for the info.

30 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Thank you for that. I see it is probably because I (yes still) use Win 7. I will maybe someday move on but for now will have to deal with this happening sometimes. But again, thank you for the info.

Yes, i am sorry. The version of software that i am using is not compatible with Windows 7.

8 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

Strange. . . . Followed exactly the same process as above this morning and found a setup.exe there instead of a zip file. It downloaded immediately, and I was able to run and install the Previewer perfectly.  No issues now, map looks even better, so - for whatever you did, MPMG - thank you!

Below is the 8k map I made with KingGen yesterday - A20_3b with default prefabs + ZZTong's prefabs, with the preview being created this morning. There's a single SP near the lower-left city.  The trader locations are very visible, though the pale blue wording (at the bottom) for the ("COMMERCIAL" and "HUGH (1)" ) are kinda hard to see - as probably would be the yellow SP "X", if it were to be in a desert biome.
Apart from those comments - this Previewer is "fixed" and I'm a happy camper - it's a great addon for 7D2D! Thanks again, MPMG.

pj

Thanks for your feedback.

I feel the same way as you for the colors, but i wanted to use the same colors in the preview and in the program.

The problem is that i have already used all the main colors (red, green, blue, white, black, orange, cyan, ...)

See this as a game, you have to find where is the yellow cross on the map 😄

On 3/11/2022 at 8:09 PM, paulj_3 said:

(sigh)   Having very happily used this great Previewer since my posts above - and helping Lew in his problems downloading the Previewer (Jan 19th - six posts above) - I now have his original problem when I tried to download the 2.1 update:
(LewZephyr said :-
"Wanted to check it out, but after getting into discord your link to download it failed then said I had to wait 60 min to download another file because I didn't subscribe. ")

This is the same issue I have now. In my case I cannot disable any ad blocker or potential spam/malware warning before the link times out. Any error in getting to the 1fichier site results in the site making you wait  one hour before trying a second time.  Can you Please change to a different, more popular, file sharing system, like Dropbox, MS OneDrive, Nexus or GitHub - something like that. This 1fichier site is a nightmare, and I will bet very good money that I'm not the only one who is turned off by that site.

Your Map Previewer is a very good addon for 7D2D, and so is the KingGen Map Generator, and when someone wants to create their own map - the two together make an extremely good combination, and I - and probably lots of others here - do just that. I know I can plod on with 2.0, but falling behind with patches and updates is not a good practice to follow.

Best regards,

Paul J.

Here what i want 

- a free way for me and the users to download the software

- no login, no account (for me and the users)

- fast download

I have found this in "1fichier". I use "Ublock Origin" as an adblocker and on the first page i click on "Download" on the second page i click on "Click here to doanload the file" and the download begin at my full download speed ! (and yes you have to wait 1 hour for the next download, that is the price for the free service)

If someone knows a way to do it somewhere else (in respect of the three points above), please reply here.

The download file is a exe "7DTD-MapPreview-Setup-v2.1.exe" not a zip.
And i am happy that you finally get it.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 months later...

Seems that it doesn't find the POIs in DF Version 4.03A with the new Compopack 48 stuff.

These locations all have .tts files that it couldn't find.  there may be more

C:\7Days2DieDFV403A\Mods\0-DarknessFallsCore\Prefabs\POIs

C:\7Days2DieDFV403A\Mods\0-DarknessFallsCore\Prefabs\Compopack48 Asia Town\CP Asia Pois

C:\7Days2DieDFV403A\Mods\0-DarknessFallsCore\Prefabs\Compopack48 Oldwest\Oldwest Pois

C:\7Days2DieDFV403A\Mods\0-DarknessFallsCore\Prefabs\Compopack48 Pois\Pois

C:\7Days2DieDFV403A\Mods\0-DarknessFallsCore\Prefabs\Compopack48 Traders

C:\7Days2DieDFV403A\Mods\0-DarknessFallsCore\Prefabs\Compopack48 Wilderness\CP Wilderness

• 4 months later...