Have to buy a new graphics card... what the best compromise g-card to run 7D2D?

Jost Amman

7 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Shadows and reflections completely off could probably free enough ressources to keep other settings on high.

And when talking about laptop: Is ist fullHD? Or probably only 1600x900 which would make already a huge difference.

And with just 3GB VRAM only texture quality max should make your gpu suffer (while on my 8GB 1070 texture quality makes almost no difference at all).

It was FHD with reflections/shadows off and terrain quality at medium, the rest on high. The laptop was one of those Asus TUF 15" series, having a tiny 256Gb ssd and only 8Gbs of Ram along with i5-8400. 

Anyhow even if you downgrade resolution to 1600x900 it will only benefit you in fps as there is not much difference on a 15" display)))

I'll make a test next week when paying a visit to my daughter as I only tried it on a clean installed OS/drivers/game, guess she had enough time to pollute the system with junk))

3 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

Anyhow even if you downgrade resolution to 1600x900 it will only benefit you in fps as there is not much difference on a 15" display)))

Performance is only related to resolution. It does not at all matter weather you are playing on 13" oder 120".

Of course it will make a difference on the visuals depending on your viewing distance. Sitting 50cm in front of a 100" display with just FHD won't look good, but it has ABSOLUTELY no impact on performance.

I don't get why people tend to mix this up. Understanding of resolution in separation of display size should be a matter of elementary school.

However, yeah, probably you are satistfied with the performance of your 1060. Maybe my 1070 is bad (however it is not by benchmarks). Maybe you are not disturbed that much by occasionally framedrops, but i am. And i didn't doubt 7d2d is playable with a 1060.

But i am hard on the limit what i would accept as playable and good looking  with my 1070.

And that is exactly the question if asking for a gpu. What exactly is good enough for each person?

It's not a matter of if my 1070 gives 5fps more or less than your 1060 mobile.

If you are fine with 30fps, a 1050 might even be enough. But ARE YOU fine with just 30fps?

for the couple of people looking into full pc's, i bought one in september from ibuypower, and it's been perfect,  their cs is decent.

they have where you can "build your own" from choices, that take a bit longer to ship, and prebuilts that are "buy now". i'd compared my parts listed in pc parts picker thing (my guy usually assembles our computers, but time is short on our end) and they were very comparable, computer arrived in 3 days with free shipping.

on graphic cards (the one in mine was an msi rtx 2060 super, 8gb vram), highly suggest not getting anything less than 6vram in this day and age, and go 8+ if possible.

i am far from a computer pro, but i've been extremely happy. some computer savvys may be shaking their heads a bit, but i'm happy ^^

system runs 7 days at max with no problems, but i still turn down shadows to low, and terrain to medium (no one needs terrain above medium atm).

this had been what i bought back in september, and i had an additional discount to apply, so was about 150 cheaper. (edit and i doubled my ram)
https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gaming-RDY-EMRRG204

1070 if you are gona host your own dedi and have decent graphics.
1080ti if you intend to stream and play
1080 would be the middle.
980tis are outdated but usually manage to run the game... Mostly. My friend has been crashing with less than 7gb card.

Just get a 7+gb card and you should be ok but id strongly, strongly recommend 1070 or equivalent.
THIS GAME WILL CRASH WITH A 6GB CARD SOMETIMES.

I've been playing for years with a 960 4gb card and rarely if ever experienced a crash due to memory limit. But I also feel like I have configured my game settings at levels appropriate to my card and not to my desires of how I wish the game would look. I even hosted some person to person games and didn't crash (that was pre A17 though).

Archived