Suggestion: Improve pack mule utility

Genosis

A common resolution among most of the players I've interacted with; pack mule is currently not worth it.

Yes, early game it takes a lot of frustration out of encumbrance but you don't "need" it, as you can get full inventory access with triple pocket mods, and simple clothing pocket mods. Min-max'ers will do their best to avoid wasting points here that will eventually be rendered useless. 

Now, the suggestion: Through each tier of pack mule, add "increased stack sizes" in one of two ways: (using 25% as a first-glance suggestion, balance could dictate otherwise)

- Tiered 5,10,15,20,25 % increased stack sizes across all eligible items. (Raw resources stacking to 6k is plenty, also considering you can "bundle" them.. so perhaps leave those out)

- Add groups of stacked items such as

- T1-Efficient survivalist: store water and cooked food 25% more per stack

- T2-OCD Handyman: Store mechanical and electrical parts 25% more per stack

- Etc, etc.. add ammo stacks, animal remains (leather, meat, bones, fat), medical supplies as other suggested groups at the appropriate tier.

As of A19, the fun pimps did well to spread out perks to incentivize less used perks by dismantling "Yeah science" for example, and this suggested change would make a lot of people take a second look at this perk where many wouldn't.

Anyhoo, just a random thought I had while playing the other day. Thanks for reading!

I was honestly surprised that Pack Mule never received a cut in levels like most of the other utility perks.
I was expecting it to be reduced to 3 points for sure.

If Pack Mule had 4 ranks, it should be: 4, 4, 5, 5
Otherwise 3 ranks: 5, 6, 7

I think it would also be more enticing to perk into Pack Mule if it increased our overall backpack size. For example, expand our backpack to 6x10 for 60 total slots, we start off with 27 slots open, 18 slots of encumbrance, and 15 slots that are completely locked and you MUST perk into Pack Mule to unlock them.

Based on previous threads, I highly doubt a stack size adjustment would be considered.

I'm thinking it should be removed at this point altogether.  As you said, it isn't needed.  In the early game nobody will likely waste the points and in the later game the pocket mods make it a moot point.

Adding extra spaces would work ones that the pocket mods dont effect. Or if they added a extra perk like when overencumbered you reduce the debuff by 10% per lvl or somthing along that line. It definitely needs to be tweaked some how imo

On 7/22/2020 at 12:42 AM, Toybox372 said:

Adding extra spaces would work ones that the pocket mods dont effect. Or if they added a extra perk like when overencumbered you reduce the debuff by 10% per lvl or somthing along that line. It definitely needs to be tweaked some how imo

I think the pocket mods do need a debuff. Like a reloading time debuff. After all, what pocket are the bullets in? I also think that the clothing needs to have other mods besides pockets. Currently there is no defense option for the perception tree, so either move the light armor there, move stealth there, or add a defensive option for that tree. having an option to uparmor clothing would help a bit. At the moment there is no reason besides lack of resources not to put pocket mods on clothing, and very few mods offer the benefits of the storage mods. 

Another thought, would be having the bandoleer mods act like a pocket, but that spot is locked for ammo. So you get the reload bonus AND a carrying bonus, just not for loot. You also get a first aid pouch, and that has a hot key attached so whatever is in the pouch is used in the hot key and does not encumber you. So you get a button for bandaids AND it frees up inventory space and a hot bar space. So instead of generic inventory space, you get specialized inventory space, and only limited to certain pieces of armor. 

OR add better armor mods. As it stands, outside of improving stealth, or fatigue, or armor, there is not that much incentive to add mods to the armor. the only armor mods i craft are the storage pockets and the plates. 

OR pack mule increases stack size AND inventory spots. At the higher stages it gets meme tier and you can stack vehicles in stacks of 5. So something that increases the stack sizes would go from being an ignored perk to being a OH YEAH perk where it's not necessary for single player or multiplayer, but man it's great to have.  

On 7/21/2020 at 5:04 PM, FranticDan said:

I think it would also be more enticing to perk into Pack Mule if it increased our overall backpack size. For example, expand our backpack to 6x10 for 60 total slots, we start off with 27 slots open, 18 slots of encumbrance, and 15 slots that are completely locked and you MUST perk into Pack Mule to unlock them.

This.

Archived