Framerate Problems Alpha 19

PajamaJams

On 12/26/2020 at 10:39 PM, Beelzybub said:

This makes your memory run in single channel mode. (half speed). You'll probably get a performance bump by adding two

more chips to get them running in dual channel mode.

Post a log. Instructions are in a sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

isn't he already running it dual-channel? or it is something specific to server boards to have all 4 slots filled?

5 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

isn't he already running it dual-channel? or it is something specific to server boards to have all 4 slots filled?

Not if he has them in separate bands. They would need to be in the same paired channel in order to utilize dual0channel mode and get the actual advertised speed.

Say my board has 4 slots laid out like so..

CPU

The channels are usually configured like so....

1 DIMM_B1

2 DIMM_B2

CPU

3 DIMM_A1

4 DIMM_A2

The channels are A and B, and the paired slots are 1 and 2.

So if he's got them in separate channels with incorrect slots, he has it like this...

1 DIMM_B1

2 DIMM_B2 - 16GB RAM

CPU

3 DIMM_A1 - 16GB RAM

4 DIMM_A2

Since the channels are 1, and 2, they are unable to use double-data rate. Which basically turns 3200Mhz RAM into 1600Mhz, and tanks your performance. If you stuck them both in the A side, you have the same issue.

Correct layout would be to have them in different channels, but paired slots.

1 DIMM_B1

2 DIMM_B2 - 16GB RAM

CPU

3 DIMM_A1

4 DIMM_A2 - 16GB RAM

The slots are usually color-coded, and if there are only four slots, it's pretty hard to screw up. 6-8 slot systems can be a bit more difficult, especially if they also have the option for quad-channel. 

So in the end, it's really hit or miss as to whether he has the RAM installed properly, but this is a very common mistake.

4 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Not if he has them in separate bands. They would need to be in the same paired channel in order to utilize dual0channel mode and get the actual advertised speed.

Say my board has 4 slots laid out like so..

CPU

The channels are usually configured like so....

1 DIMM_B1

2 DIMM_B2

CPU

3 DIMM_A1

4 DIMM_A2

The channels are A and B, and the paired slots are 1 and 2.

So if he's got them in separate channels with incorrect slots, he has it like this...

1 DIMM_B1

2 DIMM_B2 - 16GB RAM

CPU

3 DIMM_A1 - 16GB RAM

4 DIMM_A2

Since the channels are 1, and 2, they are unable to use double-data rate. Which basically turns 3200Mhz RAM into 1600Mhz, and tanks your performance. If you stuck them both in the A side, you have the same issue.

Correct layout would be to have them in different channels, but paired slots.

1 DIMM_B1

2 DIMM_B2 - 16GB RAM

CPU

3 DIMM_A1

4 DIMM_A2 - 16GB RAM

The slots are usually color-coded, and if there are only four slots, it's pretty hard to screw up. 6-8 slot systems can be a bit more difficult, especially if they also have the option for quad-channel. 

So in the end, it's really hit or miss as to whether he has the RAM installed properly, but this is a very common mistake.

The Chanel basics are clear to me, you usually have a chart in the manual for these, but you suggested adding 2 more units of RAM to use double channel, that's why I asked.

19 hours ago, Vampirenostra said:

13 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

So in the end, it's really hit or miss as to whether he has the RAM installed properly,

They are in single channel because he has two cpus. Each cpu has it's own memory slots and needs

to have at least one memory slot populated.

He would need four dimms to get that system to run in dual channel mode. With only 2 dimms, each cpu

gets one, and thus operates it's memory in single channel mode.

I did not mean to imply the op had not installed his memory correctly. Just that with only 2 sticks, a dual

cpu system will run in single channel mode.

On 12/12/2020 at 6:19 AM, Kyr said:

CPU

2 x Intel Xeon Processor E5-2650

48 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

They are in single channel because he has two cpus. Each cpu has it's own memory slots and needs

to have at least one memory slot populated.

He would need four dimms to get that system to run in dual channel mode. With only 2 dimms, each cpu

gets one, and thus operates it's memory in single channel mode.

His message is ambiguous, I would normally interpret "(2 x 16GB matched sticks in separate channels)" as 2 pairs aka 4 dimms of 8G. He obviously knows about channels.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:39 PM, Beelzybub said:

This makes your memory run in single channel mode. (half speed). You'll probably get a performance bump by adding two

more chips to get them running in dual channel mode.

Post a log. Instructions are in a sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

<script src="https://pastebin.com/embed_js/X3RgJKFf"></script>
Here's mine, i just got done with horde 70, when trying to collect loot bags I was getting around 11-15 FPS. specs are previously posted in thread

8 minutes ago, Syn said:

It seems you have quite good FPS usually, but some notorious cases where it drops dramatically. I have that too (currently playing a mod that makes my FPS seriously drop on horde night and when I look in specific directions). I'm not sure whether you really have a problem that can be fixed or it is just an optimization problem the developers haven't tackled yet.

There are a few possible reasons:

1) Trees. Do you have planted a forest and the fps drops when you look into that general direction? There are other blocks that might do this (especially some from the creative menue), but trees are culprit no. 1.

2) Generally, are you framerate drops always in the same place looking in the same directions? If yes, is there something big and built by you in that direction?

3) I may be totally wrong here, but you have 6G GPU memory. This is usually enough, but it may just not be enough at highest quality settings. Have you disabled texture streaming with texture quality at max (the log seems to say no, but I may be reading wrong) ? That might lead to moments of heavy data shuffling between RAM and VRAM.

4) Anyway, you might play around with some of the graphics settings, especially texture quality which can easily be set down one notch without you noticing it, also occlussion, reflections and terrain quality and see if it makes a difference. There are also a few console commands that change internal graphics settings, but I'm not up-to-date which ones might help.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, meganoth said:

It seems you have quite good FPS usually, but some notorious cases where it drops dramatically. I have that too (currently playing a mod that makes my FPS seriously drop on horde night and when I look in specific directions). I'm not sure whether you really have a problem that can be fixed or it is just an optimization problem the developers haven't tackled yet.

There are a few possible reasons:

1) Trees. Do you have planted a forest and the fps drops when you look into that general direction? There are other blocks that might do this (especially some from the creative menue), but trees are culprit no. 1.

2) Generally, are you framerate drops always in the same place looking in the same directions? If yes, is there something big and built by you in that direction?

3) I may be totally wrong here, but you have 6G GPU memory. This is usually enough, but it may just not be enough at highest quality settings. Have you disabled texture streaming with texture quality at max (the log seems to say no, but I may be reading wrong) ? That might lead to moments of heavy data shuffling between RAM and VRAM.

4) Anyway, you might play around with some of the graphics settings, especially texture quality which can easily be set down one notch without you noticing it, also occlussion, reflections and terrain quality and see if it makes a difference. There are also a few console commands that change internal graphics settings, but I'm not up-to-date which ones might help.

1.) No, I have planted trees but when I experienced the frames going that low they aren't even in the frame. In the log that I posted I was actually looking down at the ground collecting loot bags. 

2.) I notice it most when the game changes from day to night and night to day. 

3.) and 4.) I've already done that by following a few guides online. When it finally goes back to normal I'm getting 60-90fps and even sometimes as high as 100+ but when the frame rate drops it's HUGE.

Archived