Well, this might interest some of you.

ShadesOfKnight

Hi All.

So I decided to try something different. Pain in the ass, but it was fun and showed me something odd.

I went total Morlock. Built a small access point near my start point, dug straight down to bedrock, built a forge, crafted an iron pick, and then tunneled all over the map, adding small access points where-ever I wanted to be. School and trader primarily.

Yes, I died of starvation about a hundred times (exaggeration), but before the newbie protection wore off I was pretty well done with the basic tunnels. I could flesh out the tunnels anywhere I wanted (and I did to add crafting posts)…

Never saw a horde - in fact, didn't stay in a single spot on any blood moon night.

So after the fourth horde, it was time to go looking for stuff. Went up to the surface, was wandering around. Found a horde in a hole that happened to be over one of my tunnels. They were good and stuck. Fun times - basic archery practice.

So here's the question. Can Zombies now dig straight down, or did the spawn just happen to be in a hole that already existed that they made bigger and got stuck in? They were only about four blocks down, so not far, and the hole was about four blocks across...

So I'm curious. Are the Zombies able to dig straight down, meaning the Morlock defense won't work?

My guess is that with your network of tunnels you are leaving chunks behind that may have spawned a horde. They got partway down but then you left. Once you came back they would only dig down if they detected you below them. Detecting the player below them is the trigger for their digging behavior. You say they were right above one of your tunnels. I suspect if you came back along your tunnel and made a noise or otherwise alerted them to your presence they would have dug down the rest of the way.

Hi All.

So I decided to try something different. Pain in the ass, but it was fun and showed me something odd.

I went total Morlock. Built a small access point near my start point, dug straight down to bedrock, built a forge, crafted an iron pick, and then tunneled all over the map, adding small access points where-ever I wanted to be. School and trader primarily.

Yes, I died of starvation about a hundred times (exaggeration), but before the newbie protection wore off I was pretty well done with the basic tunnels. I could flesh out the tunnels anywhere I wanted (and I did to add crafting posts)…

Never saw a horde - in fact, didn't stay in a single spot on any blood moon night.

So after the fourth horde, it was time to go looking for stuff. Went up to the surface, was wandering around. Found a horde in a hole that happened to be over one of my tunnels. They were good and stuck. Fun times - basic archery practice.

So here's the question. Can Zombies now dig straight down, or did the spawn just happen to be in a hole that already existed that they made bigger and got stuck in? They were only about four blocks down, so not far, and the hole was about four blocks across...

So I'm curious. Are the Zombies able to dig straight down, meaning the Morlock defense won't work?

Last time I lived in tunnels on horde nights (A17), they would dig straight to you. But if you moved maybe 30 yards before they reached you, they would despawn, then spawn again on the surface above your new location. This is going by their digging sounds, and the holes seen at the surface at daybreak. Easy to avoid them with a long enough tunnel at bedrock.

Archived