Integrated graphics for A18

Dimpy

Not a chance. Well... if you don't mind potato detail and fps... then I don't know, maybe flip a coin at best? I guess it would depend on how potato your integrated graphics is and how much shared ram you have available for it and the rest of the system. There's also the fact that you're trying to run the game on Linux, which is the least supported OS for any game, even if the devs do their best to make it run with it... Linux isn't exactly known for their up-to-date drivers and whatnot.

I can't speak for Linux, but aside from what Fox said about not being great about up to date drivers (Linux is good, but I've heard it's not the best for gaming lol), my laptop runs 7 days decently (integrated card). Yes, rather potato settings, but I can run at half to full textures, 1024x728 resolution and stuff. Just no shaders/lighting stuff allowed lol. I get about 30 - 50 (indoors I can go up to 70~). Disabling the splat map lets me run at higher resolutions at a bit more fps.

Possible yeah. It just won't be pretty.

• 2 weeks later...
Disable texture streaming, turn off all extra features like shadows, reflections, SSAO, and the like. setting textures to medium, and using a smaller resolution like 720p will help also.

I thought texture streaming ON reduces the ammount of vram needed......

Turning it off increases texture in vram....atleast thats how i thought Faatal described it....i guess I misunderstood...

I thought texture streaming ON reduces the ammount of vram needed......

Turning it off increases texture in vram....atleast thats how i thought Faatal described it....i guess I misunderstood...

Having it on pushes the textures to the GPU instead of conventional RAM. If your GPU has less than 4GB VRAM, it doesn't have enough and will cause a bottleneck. Yeah, it has caused some confusion.

Having it on pushes the textures to the GPU instead of conventional RAM. If your GPU has less than 4GB VRAM, it doesn't have enough and will cause a bottleneck. Yeah, it has caused some confusion.

ooohhhhh snap then that explains a lot about why....doesn't matter but now I'm going to try turning it off and see if that stops the drop to 5fps under certain circumstances. Thank you for explaining it in such simple terms for a dummy like me to understand. *fist bump*

You'd think the devs would have an auto detect feature for VRam and enabling / disabling texture streaming by default and a better popup description for it. It would clear things up so much better, allowing everyone to have the best experience possible.

I thought texture streaming ON reduces the

amount of vram needed...... Turning it off increases texture in vram....atleast thats

how i thought Faatal described it....i guess I misunderstood...

I don't think you misunderstood. That's exactly how it works for me.

For example with Full Textures enabled and Texture streaming off, (gtx 1060 6Gb),

it uses 6 Gigs of ram at startup and throughout game-play.

Turning texture streaming on without changing any other settings and it uses

3.2 Gb at startup and about 3.7 after playing a while.

Don't know what it would do on a 2Gb card, but on my 6Gb card it reduces vram

usage significantly.

I'm very confused by this. My 1060 6G uses significantly less Vram with texture streaming on.

I'm very confused by this. My 1060 6G uses significantly less Vram with texture streaming on.

I still believe when you turn on texture streaming it uses less Vram. I did a little digging in to the unity manual.

I'll test this out tomorrow and post pics showing my results with text stream on and off.

So @SylenThunder could you be misinformed about how texture streaming works?

Texture Streaming

"The Texture Streaming system gives you control over which mipmap levels Unity loads into memory. This system reduces the total amount of memory Unity needs for Textures, because it only loads the mipmaps Unity needs to render the current Camera position in a Scene, instead of loading all of them by default.

It trades a small amount of CPU resources to save a potentially large amount of GPU memory.

With the Texture System, you can also use the Memory Budget to set a total memory limit for all Textures to use in a Project. The Texture Streaming system automatically reduces mipmap levels to stay within this budget.

You can use the Texture System API to request specific mipmap levels for specific Textures. Unity provides sample C# code that duplicates the engine logic for mipmap selection, which you can use to override the engine logic for your own Projects. For more details, see Texture Streaming API.

In Unity’s Viking Village demo project, Texture Streaming saves 25–30% of Texture memory, depending on Camera location."

Source:https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/TextureStreaming.html

Yeah, it's entirely possible I've got it backwards. There's been so much confusion on the way they intent for things to work.

Agreed there has indeed been a lot of confusion regarding this. I was never 100% positive it worked the way Faatal said until I read the manual that explains in detail what it means. I ran the test and indeed turning on texture streaming uses less Vram. :)

Archived