Can a dedicated server that's struggling to run the game cause FPS drops?

Thundy

On day 97 and our base is pretty extensive but given that we've chopped down most of a town's crossroads there isn't anything much else there asset wise.

However the game is getting pretty choppy around the base now - down to 50 fps where it was once 80 fps or 20 where it was 40 etc on my brother's PC.

Given there's a lot going on in the base could a loaded up CPU on our little server be translating to bad FPS on our PC's?

Thanks

I'm curious about the relationship between server fps and client fps as well.

A server's log records an fps figure and I'm curious what that means. I been

on servers that show 20-30 fps, and the clients will be over 60 and look fine.

Can you post the server's output log?

How many players?

Did you change settings on your client PCs to test? I.e. if you turn down the resolution and still see the same low FPS on the clients then the server really might have something to do with it.

If the culprit is the CPU (and not for example memory or bus speeds) you could turn down the CPU frequency in the bios of your server and see if it influences the FPS (make sure you look at exactly the same scene).

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know what that problem was rather than leave this as a dead thread.

So, as I said it was rather sudden it started to occur and it turns out it was a solar array.

What I'd done is plug in a solar array that made, say 80kw, and then a battery bank. The bank charged to full and then I went and wired up more lights to then when I made the final connection there was more demand than the solar array could satisfy by itself so the battery bank was then turning on but this is happening HUNDREDS of times a SECOND. As soon as I disconnected the lights or turned the solar array off (so just the bank was powering the lights) it stopped lagging

To fix it I added one more cell to the array so that it's not going on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/ at 100hz (for example)

Definitely a bug of some sort. There needs to be a buffer or check put in place to stop this - it was so laggy that only I could log into the server out of five of us and I managed to find the problem and stop it, or that would have been the world ended.

The server would run AI and the fact that trees are growing.

Trees cost as much as any single block as long as they are not growing.

Clients render the actual tree models. More trees, more to render.

The server was struggling on horde night the zeds were standing still as it couldn't run the AI for a minute here and there due to all the traps etc :)

I'm curious about the relationship between server fps and client fps as well.

A server's log records an fps figure and I'm curious what that means. I been

on servers that show 20-30 fps, and the clients will be over 60 and look fine.

Can you post the server's output log?

How many players?

The FPS on the server is not the same as FPS when you play....Server FPS should be around 20+ but think of it more as cycles the server runs.

TFP, any of you seen this? Or does it need a proper bug report?

AFAIK an FPS issue was giving solar panels a bad name since ancient times but somehow it wasn't easy for TFP to reproduce. Might this be THE elusive bug of old?

Could be it took a bit of tracking down. :)

I think it would depend solely on who it the author of player positional info if you are experiencing FPS drops while running, but with 3rd person entities, that would seem to be the responsibility of the server for updating position info. That could look less than smooth because of it.

Archived