Steel tool parts AND steel to make steel tools?

dex314

I'd love your thoughts guys. Why is it (aside from game gatekeeping) that we now need steel tool parts in addition to steel to make steel tools? A steel pickaxe is just a steel pick head with a rod jammed down the middle. Same as a hammer and axe. If a forge and anvil can't forge steel into an axe head, what can it make? And if the steel in the recipe IS for the axe head, what do the other 15 steel tool parts create? It seems weird that I could have a functional forge and anvil and 200,000 steel and not be able to make a single Axe. In fact, that sort of restriction destroys the crafting feel of the game--instead of a crafting survival game it becomes an assembly survival game, where you can't really make anything and can only put things together. Adding steel parts to the trader is only half of a solution, because at most you can buy 3-4 at a time but it requires 15 per tool.

This is just me, but I love the feel of mining ore, melting it down, producing ingots and then forging a tool from scratch. Now you do all that and are still powerless until you find those magic tool parts. Who knows what that is. 20 steel for the head and 15 steel tool parts for the ornate handle. Who knows

The Fun Pimps try to do a "one size fits all" approach. Everything that is tier 3 requires parts and a schematic, whether weapon, armor or tool. I'm not a fan of it either.

Yea, I'm happy to know I'm not alone with this thought process. They do amazing work but I think at a certain point in the name of balance and game mechanics, they forget that sometimes things are just meant to be simple and fun. Not everything has to be a chore.

Unhappy about it, either have the parts available for sale and learn how to make steel tools through the integentance tree or find the perk. But having the both parts and perk dependant on loot is ridiculous, no matter the item. One or both should be able to be learned and/or crafted, otherwise everything is up to RNJesus. So much of Alpha 18 I like, but relying on loot to advance has ruined the spirt of the game.

You also need to get lucky and find the schematic for Steel Tools, you can't perk into it. :( Which seems just as dumb as needing Steel Parts.

Oh its bad. We have 4 players on our server and we are on day 103ish, nobody has found the schematic yet and we have 2 dedicated full time looters. Its borked.

We have however found or been rewarded multiple Tier 1-6 steel tools, but nobody can make steel tools. Its completely borking borked.

Oh its bad. We have 4 players on our server and we are on day 103ish, nobody has found the schematic yet and we have 2 dedicated full time looters. Its borked.

We have however found or been rewarded multiple Tier 1-6 steel tools, but nobody can make steel tools. Its completely borking borked.

Lol excellent use of the word borked. :)

Yea, I'm happy to know I'm not alone with this thought process. They do amazing work but I think at a certain point in the name of balance and game mechanics, they forget that sometimes things are just meant to be simple and fun. Not everything has to be a chore.

When balancing, they often alternate between extremes.

A17 was pure crafting. You could make anything yourself and players complained that they had no reason to loot. So they moved to the other extreme in A18 and you can only craft basic items without looting. Maybe they'll find a path between the extremes in A19. Actually I thought in A16 that they had already found it.

When balancing, they often alternate between extremes.

A17 was pure crafting. You could make anything yourself and players complained that they had no reason to loot. So they moved to the other extreme in A18 and you can only craft basic items without looting. Maybe they'll find a path between the extremes in A19. Actually I thought in A16 that they had already found it.

I don't remember anyone whining about that issue. It is usually the devs that decide to change the rules everybody is happy with and when the community whines the devs respond with the usual "deal with it".

And this is why a planning and a public roadmap is necessary . The devs can discuss their plans with the community and the community will greenlight whatever ideas fit best.

And don't get me wrong, the devs do have some nice ideas but those have to coexist with what already works best.

Nah we whined. There was a general consensus that A17 didn't do enough to encourage the player to leave his base and go looting because the very best of everything could be crafted from basic ingredients.

Yea, I'm not a fan of the fact that you can only acquire level 6 gear by looting, but it does encourage people to leave their bases. But encouraging players to leave their bases and requiring it are two really different things. Hopefully the course of the game can find a happy medium.

Nah we whined. There was a general consensus that A17 didn't do enough to encourage the player to leave his base and go looting because the very best of everything could be crafted from basic ingredients.

The funny thing is that I looted in A17 more POIs than in any Alpha before by doing the quests.

If only i could find a steel tool or the parts, I've looked in so many working stiff crates.... The game hates me I swear lol. :)

Then there is the possibility to do quests. Among the rewards you will often find tools.

The steel tool parts are really rare. I find more motor tool parts than steel tool parts.

Then there is the possibility to do quests. Among the rewards you will often find tools.

The steel tool parts are really rare. I find more motor tool parts than steel tool parts.

ooohhhhhhh.....snap. Thank you. This gives me a reason to actually do a trader quest for once. I will give it a shot as I have zero luck any other way. *fist bump*

ooohhhhhhh.....snap. Thank you. This gives me a reason to actually do a trader quest for once. I will give it a shot as I have zero luck any other way. *fist bump*

Could take a while. You have to work your way up through the quests until you reach the point where you can get steel tools. This is usually the case with tier 4 quests.

If only i could find a steel tool or the parts, I've looked in so many working stiff crates.... The game hates me I swear lol. :)

I actually find most of my steel tools looting cars of all things, though this might be that there is just way more lootable cars than working stiff crates playing a part here. But try looting any car you can.

- - - Updated - - -

Could take a while. You have to work your way up through the quests until you reach the point where you can get steel tools. This is usually the case with tier 4 quests.

I've gotten steel tools from a tier 1 or 2 clear quest, was a t2 steel shovel.

I actually find most of my steel tools looting cars of all things, though this might be that there is just way more lootable cars than working stiff crates playing a part here. But try looting any car you can.

- - - Updated - - -

I've gotten steel tools from a tier 1 or 2 clear quest, was a t2 steel shovel.

My OCD in games forces me to stop and search every single vehicle even if I'm just driving by, 0 luck lol. I'm hoping the trader quests will help me out. I'm about to start playing so fingers crossed. thanks for the tip though :)

And then the devs took it to the extremes. Why craft mechanical parts and springs if you can... go outside and find them anyway?

I never understood why staying inside your base was a bad thing. In A16.4 I used to love grinding zombies 24/7 and find all sorts of things . I could literally build a base from looting zombies, tower defense style.

In A17 and especially in A18 loot bags are hit or miss (dog can food vs printed money and coins) and have a 2% drop rate. Bloodmoons are still easy to deal with but the fact I can't build a huge base like in the previous versions kills the game for me.

Archived