Possible to bring A15 to modern/A18 build?

-Holo-

I started playing for real in A14, the A15 update improved just about every system I can think of (except hordenights )

When A16 came, we got lots of good things, but the game took several steps back in the fun for me and my small team of friends who played regulary.

A17 did the same to the extreme, and it drove us to quit playing for quite a while until we discovered Darkness Falls which brought back a lot of old days fun.

A18 I have yet to try, waiting for 18.1 stable.

In the meantime a friend and I started up a new game of A15.2 and realised once again how much better the ruleset was.

It's much more difficult for one thing, and there is a lot more zombies around POI's making them a challenge to investigate.

(with some minor things I'm gonna alter today in the xmls)

I have been wishing/hoping for a mod that essentially takes the ruleset of A15 and places it with the technical updates of A18 to bring a truly great experience (for us atleast)

I'm no real modder, only dabbing slightly into changing the xml's into values more suited for us to use, but what can and can't be done in A18?

*Weapon/engine parts UI/system is entirely removed I think?

*Random Gen would probably be impossible to create such large and varied maps due to the removal of biomes and such :(

*Could old biomes be modded back in somehow?

*1-600 quality levels should be possible?

*Learn by doing might be possible to bring back with the new trigger effects on things?

*Having a hubcity might be doable in rwg settings?

*Can sleeper volumes be removed or toned down in favor of zombies roaming around POI's and cities?

*Would it be possible to bring back looting zombiecorpses after death and them turning into the corpse 'block' to squish with a axe for some bones/rotten meat?

*Traders I assume can be removed entirely from spawning and changing the quests to not use them?

*Bringing smell back is probably undoable too?

What other parts have been removed from the game ?

And what could talented modders bring back?

What's the good parts and what are the bad parts from A15 in other opinions? Share your thoughts about it!

No, it is impossible, some features on which it would be possible to build such a mod - removed completely.

I've been doing similar things (bringing back the past) throughout my modding here. Just be trying "Classic Style Hardcore" mod.

Unfortunately because of the reasons described above, it is only for A16.

WIP:

eSw7b0q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some of those are possible. Playing Darkness Falls, and they have LBD reinstated, as well as the old item QL levels, and weapon parts etc. I PLay on my own generated map using NitroGen, and I'm sure that could be used to make a hub city, although it is not a listed option at the moment.

It's so terribly sad that they removed the systems completely instead of just leaving them unused so the modders could use them for all kinds of awesomeness :(

It is not so easy. Since everything has interfaces, connections and dependancies to many other systems, just keeping old systems around is impossible unless you also update and support them. This is similar to changing the hull of a car completely and still expecting accessories for the old model like a roof rack to fit.

Normally you wouldn't even be able to compile the new code if you didn't adapt old systems. Remember that the whole buff system was replaced with a different one in A17. Not saying it is impossible, but it definitely isn't just done by including old code.

7DTD is accessible and moddable enough that a talented coder could definitely add in all previous features and practically any other feature as well.

Emphasis on coder, because they'd have to literally code them into the game (which we can do).

However this would not only require a lot of time and effort, but could be rendered useless or obsolete by any upcoming update.

Once the game is feature complete and hits full release then I imagine it'll only take a hundred hours of work or two.

Some of those are possible. Playing Darkness Falls, and they have LBD reinstated, as well as the old item QL levels, and weapon parts etc. I PLay on my own generated map using NitroGen, and I'm sure that could be used to make a hub city, although it is not a listed option at the moment.

Darkness falls saved A17 for us. without it I had barely touched that trainwreck :D

Pity the hubcity won't be as scary now since all the zombies probably would end up sleeping tighly inside the houses so one can freely roam the streets :(

7DTD is accessible and moddable enough that a talented coder could definitely add in all previous features and practically any other feature as well.

Emphasis on coder, because they'd have to literally code them into the game (which we can do).

However this would not only require a lot of time and effort, but could be rendered useless or obsolete by any upcoming update.

Once the game is feature complete and hits full release then I imagine it'll only take a hundred hours of work or two.

I certainly hope so. I'm a bit concerned they're adding so much fluff that it will be impossible to drive the game well enough to restore the glory of the old.

I seen there's been quite a lot views on this thread, so there seems to be a demand for something like it atleast :)

Good to know I'm not entirely out of my mind and being old and grumpy :D

Would be interesting to know what Alpha people started playing in and which one they'd had the most fun in.

Mmmkay...

*Weapon/engine parts UI/system is entirely removed I think?

It's sort of there. The mod system uses the old assembly system. So it'd be almost impossible to bring back.

*Random Gen would probably be impossible to create such large and varied maps due to the removal of biomes and such

Pretty much. And A18 seems to use a pre-defined biome image map.

*Could old biomes be modded back in somehow?

Not currently.

*1-600 quality levels should be possible?

Nope. But 1-256 is.

*Learn by doing might be possible to bring back with the new trigger effects on things?

Not everything. Barter doesn't work due to missing triggers (already tried)

*Having a hubcity might be doable in rwg settings?

Again, not really. Road layout seems to be semi pre-defined, which is annoying.

*Can sleeper volumes be removed or toned down in favor of zombies roaming around POI's and cities?

Yep. You could do that.

*Would it be possible to bring back looting zombiecorpses after death and them turning into the corpse 'block' to squish with a axe for some bones/rotten meat?

Sort of. You could put the grey corpse block back, but not the reddish gore block (already tried, texture doesn't exist).

*Traders I assume can be removed entirely from spawning and changing the quests to not use them?

Yes, but it'd be a lot of work due to the white river citizen quest that triggers.

*Bringing smell back is probably undoable too?

Possibly do-able. A few of us were using the idea of "silent" sounds to generate heat which makes the zombies investigate you.

Oh. lots of sweet insight! (looking forwards for Darkness Falls for A18 :) )

We have been toying with the idea to use the modsystem and have something like the Gunframe act as the main object, and assemble in 'mods' like barrel,magazine and parts or something like that to get it to work, and maybe get better stats the better the parts. But have no idea if that would be even possible :/

I think I need to start using Nitrogen to get some good RWG's. pity to need to rely on other tools but it's not the end of the world (hah)

256 QL's is a lot better then 6, gonna have to take a look if it's possible to bring crafting xp and those skills in somehow.

It would be great to combine the sleeper system (bit toned down) with regular zombies walking around indoors, while also having the old POI spawns outdoors when you come intorange. But this needs to do prefab editing I suppose?

Hmm. I wonder if it would be possible to set an variable when you kill something, say a nurse for example, to nursekill=1 and dont ever drop the yellow loot bags, but turn into a corpseblock that would use the variable to determine from what lootlist to have a chance to use? (and reset the variable to 0 when looted)

Traders I'm considering just reducing their impact alot. remove all but the basic crafting ingredients so we can't just go there and get the item we need. if possible remove all quests he hands out and instead rely on the old ways with the questnotes found.

I love the idea to use silentsounds to simulate smell! a true case of silent but deadly!

Archived