Massive performance hit from Alpha 17.4 to Alpha 18 [R5 3600/RX570]

ShivanSps

OK no idea what they did in Alpha 18 but this is too much, i went from playable at 2K with my custom settings (40-60fps) to 5-30fps. I cant even play at Full HD... i have to go to 1600x900 to have more or less the same FPS i had in 2K in Alpha 17.4.

Windows 10 build 1903

16GB DDR4-3200

Ryzen 5 3600

RX570 4GB

Adrenalin 19.9.1

Alpha 17.4

GT8RK3q.jpg

AqMWxt8.jpg

Z60KMFy.jpg

Alpha 18

MlPXgyz.jpg

kYr8KPO.jpg

3DcXaD4.jpg

Windows 10 build 1903

16GB DDR4-3200

Ryzen 5 3600

RX570 4GB

Adrenalin 19.9.1

I am running a similar setup.

Main differences are

1920x1080 res

32gb DDR3 3200

RX580 6GB

Outside I almost never drop below 40fps. In houses and underground I get 60fps all the time. I have mine capped at 60fps.

Everything is maxed except for my reflections and water turned down to low because they don't add much in my opinion, and suck up FPS potential.

You have to lower the texture resolution.

It makes a huge difference.

His point will be that he shouldn't have to make such sacrifices. "Alphas are supposed to improve as we get closer to release."

The only answer for the OP is to try more things (people have posted plenty of support information) and to recognize that this is an alpha. Problems like this come with the territory. TFP continues to work on performance improvements.

gfx af 0 in Console (F1) Increased my FPS by 5 > 21-30

Texture Steaming at No and Texture Quality at Half > gain 3-4 FPS

Looks like I need to type gfx af 0 every time I change the video settings.

I currently play at low-medium with full texture. I had no problem with a17. I guess I'll continue to play with the settings and wait. My main issue is mouse lag though. Still scavenging the forum and the net for tips for improvements.

RX 580 8GB

Ryzen 2700X

His point will be that he shouldn't have to make such sacrifices. "Alphas are supposed to improve as we get closer to release."

The issue is the texture ram his GPU has. This is likely the bottleneck. Alpha or not, this won't change much if there are a lot of different on screen textures. I would wager the reason my 580 is performing better comes down to 2GB of ram I have that doesn't need to be shuffled around to make room as often. The actual speed advantage I have in comparison to a 570 is negligible. This will definitely change FPS in heavy GPU use areas with lots of different blocks while maxing out view distance.

The issue is the texture ram his GPU has. This is likely the bottleneck. Alpha or not, this won't change much if there are a lot of different on screen textures. I would wager the reason my 580 is performing better comes down to 2GB of ram I have that doesn't need to be shuffled around to make room as often. The actual speed advantage I have in comparison to a 570 is negligible. This will definitely change FPS in heavy GPU use areas with lots of different blocks while maxing out view distance.

No, the issue is that performance sucks in A18, it has nothing to do with his PC or his rams or anything. If he has the same PC that allowed him to run A17.4 smoothly and now he has problems in A18 (which TFP praise that is BETTER optimized) then TFP lied, the game is even more poorly optimized.

STOP DEFENDING TFP (which a lot of people do),really, the game runs much worse, saw it myself. I could run A17.4 smoothly (40-50 FPS), and now comes A18 that is "better" optimized...and instead of getting even more FPS with the SAME SETTINGS that I had in A17.4, I get around 20-30 FPS with the same settings. Please, don't try to find some "logical" explanation about his PC, it's not his fault. So this is the end of story.

This enrages me a lot. I see nothing wrong with A18 other than this performance issue. The only thing to do is hope that TFP will wake up and try to test the next alpha versions on lower PC, not on a good one.

"Oh hey, we got a 2000$ PC and we get 60 FPS and now we get 62 FPS with the new optimization setting". That's not optimization, that's total BS.

Sorry, performance doesn't suck. It sits at 60fps with zero hiccups for me now with vsync on. Runs beautifully. A17 had fps drops all over the place for me. Now it runs smooth as hell.

Just because some people can run it well, don't assume it's for everyone. It should run better for all of us and it doesn't. Until TFP fix this performance issue, A17.4 is the way to go.

Just because some people can run it well, don't assume it's for everyone. It should run better for all of us and it doesn't. Until TFP fix this performance issue, A17.4 is the way to go.

You're guilty of exactly the same assumption. Just because it's not running well for you, don't assume it isn't for everyone else either.

There's definitely some issues with A18 that the Devs no doubt will continue to work on, but there's also things players can do in the meantime, some of which have been suggested here (like forcing AF off, texture issues and the like) that will help a lot until TFP can fix up the bugs causing the issues.

And it would be nice if A18 ran better than A17 for everyone, you have to realise that was never going to happen in reality.

From a quick, non-exhaustive browse of the forums, it so far seems the people having issues are running AMD GPUs. I'm running an r9 380 4GB, was playing the game smoothly in a17 with standard medium settings. With freshly updated graphics drivers for a18, I've had to turn all my settings to absolute minimum (texture streaming "No"; edit: texture quality "Quarter") in order to have mostly negligible mouse drag. I checked performance while playing and the GPU memory was only being taxed at ~50%, while the 3D was completely capped the entire time, with fan running at maximum and temperatures impressively high. This is, at least for me, the clear bottleneck - RAM and CPU weren't overtaxed.

No clue if this is due to drivers that AMD will need to fix with a future update or something else, just adding a lil more (hopefully helpful) information.

AMD gpus indeed are, I believe, the only gpus that were hit by Alpha 18. My friend's gtx 1080 runs it just fine, everything at ultra, 60fps.

Remember they had problems with creating random gen maps with only AMD GPUs?

Yeah, they screwed something up this time and they need to fix it. Full stop.

Guys it runs perfectly fine at Alpha 17.4 at those settings, i tested by rolling back, it is something with Alpha 18.

Is not the GPU memory, at texture resolution FULL it uses 3750MB at 2K.

Cu5nHsQ.png

Dropping to half it lowers to 3300MB

9yRNdFW.png

As you can see the GPU is at 100% all the time. Thats the problem, not the memory.

You're guilty of exactly the same assumption. Just because it's not running well for you, don't assume it isn't for everyone else either.

There's definitely some issues with A18 that the Devs no doubt will continue to work on, but there's also things players can do in the meantime, some of which have been suggested here (like forcing AF off, texture issues and the like) that will help a lot until TFP can fix up the bugs causing the issues.

And it would be nice if A18 ran better than A17 for everyone, you have to realise that was never going to happen in reality.

Fair enough, I got nothing to say, except this : When a better Alpha comes out, it should definitely not run worse. It's better optimized but runs worse? It's a bit illogical if you ask me...but I'm glad that you see there are some issues with Alpha 18. Not like some people that keep saying "Oh, A18 is perfect, runs better than A17.4", yeah yeah yeah....

I tried those things and I kinda don't want to play with quarter version texture. From full texture in A17.4 to quarter texture A18? No thanks, better to wait. Idk man, this performance thing sucks, hope they fix it soon.

Fair enough, I got nothing to say, except this : When a better Alpha comes out, it should definitely not run worse. It's better optimized but runs worse? It's a bit illogical if you ask me...but I'm glad that you see there are some issues with Alpha 18. Not like some people that keep saying "Oh, A18 is perfect, runs better than A17.4", yeah yeah yeah....

I tried those things and I kinda don't want to play with quarter version texture. From full texture in A17.4 to quarter texture A18? No thanks, better to wait. Idk man, this performance thing sucks, hope they fix it soon.

See you in A19.

It's illogical that newly implemented lines of code might cause problems? You speak nonsense.

Some people keep saying "Oh, A18 is perfect, runs better than A17.4" because it is true for them.

It's illogical that newly implemented lines of code might cause problems? You speak nonsense.

Some people keep saying "Oh, A18 is perfect, runs better than A17.4" because it is true for them.

It's illogical that you as a developer say "Oh hey, this newer alpha is running better than all previous alphas" and as a player you expect to run better, but in fact it runs worse than all the other alphas. Hell man, I can run Alpha 1 with no problems, and Alpha 1 was so poorly optimized.

Never mind, you keep your opinion, I'll keep mine...and that is that A18 performance sucks and I'll wait for a fix. I'm glad I'm not the only one with performance problems, so you guys can't tell me "Oh, for everyone else it runs better, you are the first person that complains about this, so your pc must suck".

- - - Updated - - -

See you in A19.

So that's how long it's going to take them to fix performance issue? Haha, nice sarcasm there. :D

It's illogical that you as a developer say "Oh hey, this newer alpha is running better than all previous alphas" and as a player you expect to run better, but in fact it runs worse than all the other alphas. Hell man, I can run Alpha 1 with no problems, and Alpha 1 was so poorly optimized.

But it does run better, for at least some (most?) people. It isn't as though they lied. I am sure that the devs and QA team experienced better performance.

Never mind, you keep your opinion, I'll keep mine...and that is that A18 performance sucks and I'll wait for a fix.

"Opinion"? It's strange that your "opinion" looks like an absolute statement of fact, one which runs contrary to other facts. *shrug* I think I see where part of the problem is.

But it does run better, for at least some (most?) people. It isn't as though they lied. I am sure that the devs and QA team experienced better performance.

"Opinion"? It's strange that your "opinion" looks like an absolute statement of fact, one which runs contrary to other facts. *shrug* I think I see where part of the problem is.

Fair enough, I think I called them liars because I was a bit too enraged about performance since I remembered that one guy attacked TFP for using high performance PC to test the game instead of using low performance and I used the same argument since I believe it's true. My mistake here on my part by getting angry, I'm not afraid to admit it (even tho my argument about them using high-end PC to test the game remains the same). I usually don't get angry fast but oh well, guess it happens sometimes. :smile-new:

Never mind, you keep your opinion, I'll keep mine...and that is that A18 performance sucks and I'll wait for a fix. I'm glad I'm not the only one with performance problems, so you guys can't tell me "Oh, for everyone else it runs better, you are the first person that complains about this, so your pc must suck".

- - - Updated - - -

So that's how long it's going to take them to fix performance issue? Haha, nice sarcasm there. :D

Is it true. alpha 18 has very poor optimization compared to alpha 17, I've tried both and alpha 17 is better. I can play graphically better games with more fps than alpha 18 with 30-40 fps. why the alpha 18 graphics must work 100% that's the problem. people who claim that Alha 18 is better optimized by is lie

Fair enough, I think I called them liars because I was a bit too enraged about performance since I remembered that one guy attacked TFP for using high performance PC to test the game instead of using low performance and I used the same argument since I believe it's true. My mistake here on my part by getting angry, I'm not afraid to admit it (even tho my argument about them using high-end PC to test the game remains the same). I usually don't get angry fast but oh well, guess it happens sometimes. :smile-new:

At least two staff members use an RX570 and an RX580 in their own rigs, and Gazz runs it with a 1060 - hardly what I'd call "high end." The game is designed to run on a wide variety of machines. That some players are experiencing some issues is to be expected - it happens with all games, especially in "alpha" state. If you are having issues with your specific hardware, it's worth posting the support forums for advice on how to resolve it. If that fails to resolve your issue, you can either wait for further fixes in patches, or try submitting a bug report.

Having performance issues is definitely frustrating, especially when "it was working fine before" is your personal experience. Many others have found performance in this latest version a vast improvement, while some have found it about equal, and some others have found it worse. They have been diligently working on improving performance through both optimizations and bug fixes. I can tell you from my own personal experience with a modern high end computer (i7 9700k w/ 32GB RAM and an RTX 2060) it was virtually unplayable with settings maxed out during the initial phase of A18 experimental, and that improved with each patch to the point where now I get a solid 60 FPS (v-synch locked) throughout with the same settings. Give it time, give them information, and it will get resolved.

@ShivanSps did you try turning off or reducing AF in the meanwhile, as suggested?

How a18 does AF is performance wise completely broken..

Yes it helps, i can now play at 2K with texture resolution in half and no AF... 30-40 fps. It is still very far of 17.4 performance but its something.

Guys it runs perfectly fine at Alpha 17.4 at those settings, i tested by rolling back, it is something with Alpha 18.

Is not the GPU memory, at texture resolution FULL it uses 3750MB at 2K.

Cu5nHsQ.png

Dropping to half it lowers to 3300MB

9yRNdFW.png

As you can see the GPU is at 100% all the time. Thats the problem, not the memory.

You do realize your are showing stats for texture memory is the LEAST heavy texture biome. SNOW BIOME?! Try a big city near a forest. I am sure it is going to be quite a bit different.

Archived